OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Flat lens vs. regular lens

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flat lens vs. regular lens
    Posted: January/18/2012 at 17:55
Could anyone explain to me the pros and cons of flat field lenses vs. regular lenses for bino's? I'm not to fimiliar with the flat field lenses. I may be looking to purchase a pair that has them.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 22:10
Simply and in a nutshell, high quality Field Flattener lenses are suppose to offer edge-to-edge sharpness as sharp and focused as the center image, free of any discernible astigmatism or distortion.

One example would be the Fujinon FMT-SX Series of binoculars.

Another example would be the Canon 10x42L IS WP binoculars which have Doublet Field Flattener lenses.
Stan 

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/18/2012 at 22:20
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 12:15

Binoculars with field flattener lenses aren't necessarily a "new thing". The Nikon SE, Meopta Meostar, Nikon Premier LX/Venturer, to name a few, have all been using them for many years.

The feature has become more mainstream since Nikon came out with the EDG, Swaro came out with the Swarovision and now Zen Ray is coming out with the Prime HD.
Frank
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 19:43
So would you say going with something that has flat field lenses would be the way to go? Do any one have any experience with them?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 20:46
I have experience with designs that incorporate a field flattening lens.  It doesn't really matter much to me.  It is just one way the optical engineer can succeed in minimizing the aberrations BW mentioned above.  Some designs that don't have a field flattener will produce a flat image through other design technology.  Overall performance is the goal.

-Matt
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 20:48
Originally posted by msummer88 msummer88 wrote:

So would you say going with something that has flat field lenses would be the way to go? Do any one have any experience with them?

I do like the flat field oculars, and the great edge to edge view they give.  I have them in several
binoculars including the Nikon EDG, Swaro. SV. and NIkon SE.  They are what many of the top
makers are including with their latest efforts.  I find them superior, and really like the difference they
make.

Tell us, what model are you taking a look at?  If you have a chance, be sure to compare some of these
mentioned to some others you are thinking of.  Your personal opinion is what is the most important.

Jerry
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 21:55
I'm actually looking at the new Hawke Panorama ED 10x42. It will be coming out this spring. I have a Hawke Sidewinder scope that I absolutely love. So Hawke has kind of caught my eye lately. I feel they are a great value for the money you spend.

I'm not going to spend the money to get the Swaro's or anything. The MAX I would want to spend is $600 and nothing more. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 22:01

I'm actually looking at the new Hawke Panorama ED 10x42. It will be coming out this spring. I have a Hawke Sidewinder scope that I absolutely love. So Hawke has kind of caught my eye lately. I feel they are a great value for the money you spend.

I'm not going to spend the money to get the Swaro's or anything. The MAX I would want to spend is $600 and nothing more. 

Not surprisingly, those Hawkes sound a lot like the upcoming Zen Ray Prime HDs mentioned earlier.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 22:10
Well, after looking around, I see there are substantial differences between the upcoming Hawke and Zen designs, so maybe they are divurging a bit.

The new Vortex Razor HDs look pretty interesting as well, but the price is much higher.
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 22:11
Yeah I've really liked their scopes. Sounds like others are liking them as well. Their CS is great too, I've been emailing them for quite sometime now and they answer back quick with all my questions answered. They are trying to get more dealers right now but they want to make sure they'll be able to keep their stuff stocked in. They've only been in the US market for three years so that makes sense.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 10:18

Yeah I've really liked their scopes. Sounds like others are liking them as well. Their CS is great too, I've been emailing them for quite sometime now and they answer back quick with all my questions answered. They are trying to get more dealers right now but they want to make sure they'll be able to keep their stuff stocked in. They've only been in the US market for three years so that makes sense.
If Hawke comes out with the Panorama you will see quite a bit of controversy generated by it.  They are chasing Swarovision with it and they are trying for both flat field and sharp edges.  So along with the field flatternes, they are only using a slim 3% pincushion.  What will happen, in my opinion, is that there will be a significant portion of people who will be affected by the rolling ball that will sure as little green apples bother quite a few people, just as it does with the Swarovision.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 13:57

Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

If Hawke comes out with the Panorama you will see quite a bit of controversy generated by it.  They are chasing Swarovision with it and they are trying for both flat field and sharp edges.  So along with the field flatternes, they are only using a slim 3% pincushion.  What will happen, in my opinion, is that there will be a significant portion of people who will be affected by the rolling ball that will sure as little green apples bother quite a few people, just as it does with the Swarovision.

...So your saying people won't like them? Swarovision isn't that great? I'm confused?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:04
Steve is referring to the rolling ball effect while panning with a low-distortion binocular like the Swarovision. It is distracting and annoying to some, and not even noticeable to others. The Swarovision, and the new Hawke if it has similar distortion correction,, aren't for everyone.
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 19:07
I see what your saying now. I must have read Klamaths post a hundred times!

I found this link that helped me understand it a lot better. Good stuff

I'm going to have to run up to cabelas and see if i can notice it on the swaro's. Hawke hasn't release the specs on their Panoramas yet so I'm not sure how similar it will be to the swaro's distortion parameter of k=0.74

I guess I'll have to wait Sad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic