OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Seeking Specific Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardicraptus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking Specific Scope
    Posted: January/18/2012 at 09:52
I don't know if it exists, 
which has caused some headache.

A fearful number of websites selling scopes are lying about the specifications of the products they sell, which has caused some heartache.

I purchased the savage mark II FVSR, and as a number of you probably know, this rifle does not have iron sights, but instead comes with a Picatiny rail. So purchasing a scope is the only practical choice.

What I want:
1x magnification 
I'll also deal with 1.1x or 1-4x, but not looking for any magnification it's a .22 for crying out loud.

mil-dot reticle
May sound dumb, but if I have to use a scope I might as well be learning all you can do with a mil-dot.

1/4 or 1/8 moa clicks
if this isn't possible I'll deal with 1/2 just to get the other two requirements.

If this can be found for under $200 soft, I'd be thrilled. Please let me know if you have heard of anything like this. Small market for something like this is my guess as to why they are so hard to find.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 10:41
This is as close as I can find http://swfa.com/Barska-2-7x32-Air-Gun-Scope-P5773.aspx 
It isn't 1x, but has mil-dot and 1/4 clicks. Why mil at 1X?
Doug
bardicraptus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardicraptus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 09:02
I have a friend who will be teaching me how to shoot. For the distances that a .22lr is effective, I should be able to hit them without magnification. I'm more concerned with honing my abilities than relying on optics. Since this rifle requires a scope, the mil-dot reticle is a necessity. I need to learn how to use this reticle to all its advantages, and with as cheap as .22lr is I can get plenty of practice.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 17:57
Originally posted by bardicraptus bardicraptus wrote:

For the distances that a .22lr is effective, I should be able to hit them without magnification.

What is them?
     I shoot a .22lr out to 250 yards with fair and what I consider effective results.
At that range I like some magnification.  The model 64 at the left is topped with a 2-7 Burris.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 18:32
And I stretch it even further with my 10-22 clone action.
Consider the Mueller APT 4.5-14 (has the Mil-Dot Reticle)
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
bardicraptus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardicraptus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:02
250 yards with a .22lr? wow! I thought they were only good out to about 200 yards. I don't know how many opportunities I'll have to shoot much further than 100 yards, will go up to a 4x magnification which should be plenty.

I just ordered a scope from midway made by Bresser. it has 1-4x which will work fine for my purposes and will provide some magnification if necessary. mil-dot reticle so I can practice using one. 1/4 moa clicks, and all for $188. I know it's not the best optic, but in the time it would take me to save up for the Leopold equivalent I could have also put 17,000 rounds of lapua center x downrange.

Thanks for all the advice. I am looking forward to finding out just how far I can effectively use this rifle.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:42
a good scope for your use is a bsa ffp 4x12, I think thats the mag range , or a falcon menace , a 22 lr is good to 300-350 yds on clay targets at least in breaking them.  Define effective. a 4x roughly duplicates the magnifications and difficulty in target acquirement as a 10x at 1000 yds, and the 22 lr is pretty close to the drop (proportionally) as a 308 at 1000 yds.
do to the effects of wind and the large drop involved a high quality scope is almost more important than it's need in a rifle. Hold over hash marks in the reticle itself help, it minimizes the need for a large range in the elevation turret, thus a fixed power makes a lot of sense. Most long range 22lr works best with subsonic or standard velocity, that has gone sub b 50 yds, but still gives relatively good groups at 100 yds. 
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 11:00
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

a 22 lr is good to 300-350 yds on clay targets at least in breaking them.  Define effective. a 4x roughly duplicates the magnifications and difficulty in target acquirement as a 10x at 1000 yds, and the 22 lr is pretty close to the drop (proportionally) as a 308 at 1000 yds.

Dale at what range does the 22lr come close to the 308 at 100yds?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 11:46
bardi,
This was about a year ago and I didn't post it-Shame on me!
Here is another example of how you can play with a 22lr
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=570760
You can also see the doubt or preconceived ideas that revolve around the 22lr.
Of course, added doubt comes with the use of specialty handgun.

Edited by Ernie Bishop - February/03/2012 at 13:15
Ernie

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 11:48
 Not sure what your asking. if both guns are sighted in at 100 yd, then both rounds are the same at 100 yds.  But as an example cci standard sighted in at 50 roughly has about the same drop at 300 yds as a 175 308 at a 1000 yd. Go JBM websight and play with different velocitys and sight in for 22lr brands got get an insight as to comparisons
Yogi Bera

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 12:04
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

a 22 lr is good to 300-350 yds on clay targets at least in breaking them.  Define effective. a 4x roughly duplicates the magnifications and difficulty in target acquirement as a 10x at 1000 yds, and the 22 lr is pretty close to the drop (proportionally) as a 308 at 1000 yds.

Dale at what range does the 22lr come close to the 308 at 100yds?

Sorry it should have said 1000yds and not 100yds.

Thanks for the info Dale.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 13:49
another good way is to compare time of flight between two bullets, which will then coincide with the distances your wanting
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 17:40
At one power a mil dot is quite useless as both a tool to measure distance and for known distance hold over.  Remember that if you really want iron sights a gunsmith can install some for you.
If it were my rifle I would put one on the two of these on it:
Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope Dual-X Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope
Stock # - 849431
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
$139.95
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/03/2012 at 18:16

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 17:54
A .22 at 300 yards is similar to a .308 at 1000 to answer your question.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 18:16
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

In some ways they are both kind of like a MORTAR at long range.
So if you are planning to shoot past 100 yds the Super Sniper scopes become real useful with about 120 moa of internal adjustment and they come in a fixed 6,  10,  16,  & 20  soon a 12x also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 23:02
Ditto!
A good MIL or MOA reticle, pic rail with as much MOA as the scope will allow, and a scope with as much internal MOA as you can get!

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

In some ways they are both kind of like a MORTAR at long range.
So if you are planning to shoot past 100 yds the Super Sniper scopes become real useful with about 120 moa of internal adjustment and they come in a fixed 6,  10,  16,  & 20  soon a 12x also.
Ernie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic