OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8x42 ZR Vista or 8x36 Bushnell Ultra HD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmrisko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x42 ZR Vista or 8x36 Bushnell Ultra HD?
    Posted: January/17/2012 at 11:29
My wife and I are planning a trip to Yellowstone later this year and I would like to purchase a pair of binoculars for us to use for wildlife spotting and taking in the sights. We are avid hikers, so these would come on hikes with us. Unfortunately my budget is only around $125. I have purchased a set of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD on closeout for $115 (that I have 30 days to return), which looks to be a great price for this model. The other pair I am considering is the Zen-Ray Vista 8x42 that I can get for around $125. 

From what I have read, people are saying you need an 8x42 minimum for wildlife watching at Yellowstone. Will the 8x36 be that much of a downgrade in brightness? The Bushnell appears to be the better binocular on paper (and I managed to get it for a few bucks cheaper), but would the 8x42 Vista better suit my needs? My main concern w/ the Vista is that it is slightly larger and heavier, which might be noticeable while hiking, but the trade-off may potentially be brighter viewing...?.

What would some of you guys do in my situation? Would the 8x36 suit us just fine? As I mentioned, this is my first pair of binoculars aside from some cheap throwaways my father used to have. FWIW, neither my wife nor I wear glasses. Aside from the Yellowstone trip, we would likely use these while hiking here in the South, as well as looking at deer and other wildlife in our neighborhood. Thanks in advance!
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 12:27
I sent you a PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic