OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope mounting problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mounting problems
    Posted: January/16/2012 at 19:05
I have a new Rem Tack rifle in 300 win mag, synthetic stock with aluminum bedding block all from Rem. I mounted a picatinney rail and Burris Xtreme Tact. scope rings. I can't get a good centered sight picture, with or without scope, without pressing the stock hard into my cheek. A comfortable fit causes the rings to be too far to the right. I have tried two different sets of Burris rings with the same results. Is this something that can be corrected with shimming the rings to get the correct set up, or could the problem be in the stock? I'm not sure what to do next so all suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks
Never go straight, but always go forward!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 21:01
I noticed in an earlier post that you have new glasses. Is it the new glasses that is making it hard to get behind the scope? You may need to set the scope a little more forward than the average shooter that is not using glasses.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 21:54
If I am reading your post right, the comb of the stock is left of the center of the action?

Maybe a pic from behind the butt of the rifle would show the issue.
-Matt
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 00:01
I think you got it Bitterroot.  Sounds to me as though the comb is what he is having trouble with.

Which I guess there are a couple of options

1. Get some tall rings to get the scope up. (I don't like this idea, but it's cheaper (probably))
2. Replace the stock with one you find more user friendly

pics would be nice. or at least a pic of another rifle with a similar stock design.
planehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 19:45
Hey Guys,
I currently don't have a working camera for pics. But heres what I did trying to figure this out. First I am using med. height Burris rings. I then got a 5' length of 3/4" EMT and shimmed the emt to fit snuggley in the rings. What I discovered was that the rings are perfectly centering the emt the full lenght of the rifle, so everything is lined up down the center. The stock is as straight as I can tell. Is there supposed to be any angle in the stock end to allow for face clearance? If so, is this something I can do at home? Thanks!
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 20:46
yeah I think what you are referring too is the comb.  It's the raised area on this picture that your face/cheek is pressed against when you pull up to acquire your site picture.

It sounds as though it's interfering or getting in the way with you being able to get "behind" the scope properly.  Sounds like its time to start looking for a stock without a comb/cheek piece.  Other than that I'm pretty clueless at this point.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 07:41
A add on cheek bad could also help.  They can been on ones.  Some actualy require drilling for use like the Karston.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 15:58
Yes, the comb (butt stock?) is the problem, but on my stock there is no raised section, it's perfectly flat. The issue is that even though it is perfectly flat I still can't get my in line behind the scope because the stock is still pushing my cheek away from the scope. If you split my butt stock down the middle, it's a mirror image, no raised section. I believe the stock is predominately made of fiberglass. Can this material be heated and shaped to put a little offset into it? I don't want to spend alot of money on a new equivalent type stock  if I don't have to. HELP. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 16:17
I would get a lace on cheek rest, should do all you need it to for fairly cheap.

Here is one that has a small bean bag built onto it.  but you get the ideal
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 16:29
check this thread out
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 10:22
Planehunter, I know this sounds odd, but what size hat do you wear?
If you have a big head (like me), your face may not fit the stock for a proper cheek or spot weld for your scope. You may need to change stocks and get one with a lower comb or offset to the right.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 11:38
Thanks for the suggestions, but I guess I'm still not explaining it well enough, but BeltFed is right on. It's that I can't get my eye to line up with the scope because the stock is not allowing me to get my eye close enough to the centerline, a cheek pad just would make it worse. I don't have this problem with my other rifles. Since I now know that everything is centered as it should be, my question now becomes is there anything I can do to move my butt stock over enough to make it work for me. The stock is fiberglass based, could it be heated up and move off center just a little or am I going to create more problems?
THANKS  Whacko
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 12:29
I think trying to bend your stock would cause more problems and you would need a new stock in the end.
You may want to contact somebody like Stocky Stocks and ask if they have any suggestions. They aren't the only stock supplier of course, but they are the first to come to mind with a wide selection.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 13:25
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 21:47
You could get creative and sand the stock but if it's low quality it may be hollow or foam filled. If you really like the stock rifle just swap out the stock for a different model CDNN sometimes has stocks from the factory and you could get a differnt model stock on the cheap.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic