OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Has anyone used this bipod?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anyone used this bipod?
    Posted: January/16/2012 at 13:09
Have any of you ever used this bipod?

Thanks
ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 14:24
I've not used that particular model, but have used the versapod with locking cant and pan/swivel.  I like VP.  Pretty well made, functional.  Less to go wrong on the model you are looking, so I suspect it would hold up well.  Nothing ever went wrong for me on the one I used. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 02:43
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I've not used that particular model, but have used the versapod with locking cant and pan/swivel.  I like VP.  Pretty well made, functional.  Less to go wrong on the model you are looking, so I suspect it would hold up well.  Nothing ever went wrong for me on the one I used. 

I have the same versa-pod you do and it works well on some rifles, but not on others.  Overall, it is not the most stable bipod out there, but the ease moving it from rifle to rifle is a big plus for me.

However, for actual use, I found Harris to be better.  Then I tried Atlas bipod (on my 338) and figured out what I have been missing.

In this case, I am simply wondering if there is something out there better than Harris, but cheaper than Atlas.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 12:02
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

I have the same versa-pod you do and it works well on some rifles, but not on others.  Overall, it is not the most stable bipod out there, but the ease moving it from rifle to rifle is a big plus for me.

However, for actual use, I found Harris to be better.  Then I tried Atlas bipod (on my 338) and figured out what I have been missing.

In this case, I am simply wondering if there is something out there better than Harris, but cheaper than Atlas.

ILya

Interesting... I swap scopes around a lot, not bipods.  Usually, I get a bipod and it stays on the rifle I got it for.  Funny...
Actually, I'm waiting for the "next generation" Sinclair.  I got to play with one of theirs and loved it, but they are redesigning using comments on the 1st gen.  I would get one of the older ones, but have not been able to find one.  I liked it better than Atlas, it is more "gymnastic", but REALLY like the Atlas.  For price/function, you are right.. I've not found anything that really overwhelms Harris.  Some perform better, but carry the big pricetag.  If the Sinclair does not come out soon, I'm going to go with a Harris for my 338. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 13:57
Haven't used it.

Interested to know where it falls on the spectrum.  I have a few Atlases that see regular use, and a Harris or 2 that make it out on occasion.

Atlas is the best game in town, but you pay for it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ffhounddog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffhounddog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:09
Might want to take a look at the GGG bipod.  I have one on my SPR and it works great for a QD model.  http://swfa.com/GGG-Extreme-Duty-Tactical-Bipod-P49065.aspx
Works great on my SPR and for an Agency that just got these for their SPR project as well. 
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 10:26
Have never used a versa pod.  I did have the opportunity to compare a Harris to my Atlas this past fall.

Having owned the Atlas for awhile I will say right off that I am biased towards it.

At around $280 for the QD model it isn't cheap.  However being QD you can move it from gun to gun easily and quickly.  Do I need this expensive of a pod.....?  Absolutely not.  In fact it's probably overkill to the max for my uses.  On the other hand, it does have some features that I really like and do use. 

I'd give the nod to the Harris as far as quick initial deployment.  Once past this phase of use, IMO the Atlas shines head and shoulders above the rest.  Note that most of my uses don't require me to be lightning fast deploying the pod. 

A big plus IMO is the ability to lock the Atlas legs at different angles depending on needs - staight down, forward or towards the rear.  You can also easliy add 3" leg extensions if you wish/need too as well as change out the feet if your needs dictate.   

Does the Harris work well on my brother's rifle.....?  Yup, sure does.  Would I buy one?  No.  If I need another bipod, I'll get another Atlas without a second thought.  It's absolutelty overkill I know, but the features and the degree to which it's built over and above my uses, providing a huge margin of confidence in use.

I imagine it's sort of like looking through and testing some of the uber high end glass.  Once you've been there, you can go back down to lesser levels.  It still works, but...........

I have no reqrets buying the QD Atlas.  If I ever need another, I'll buy one, but hopefully having the QD model will prevent that for awhile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic