OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

who can compete with a 8 x 32 EL?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: who can compete with a 8 x 32 EL?
    Posted: January/15/2012 at 23:32
I really like the swarovski 8 x 32 EL but I don't like the price.  Is there anyone out there in the $400-$800 range who has a similar binocular that is close?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 09:45
Try Meopta Meostar 8x32.  

That is probably the best bet for the money, that I can think of off the top of  my head.

ILya
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 12:27
Keep your jaw above a padded surface if you look through a $200 Sightron SII 8x32 Blue Sky.  It will likely drop rapidly.  Same deal with the Theron Wapiti LT 8x32.  Neither of these is in the same league as the Swaro, or even the Meopta, but they are oh so much closer than you may think. Smile
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 12:41
It is just my opinion, but I think the Meostar 8X32 has a superior image to the EL 8X32.  The sweet spot is bigger, and the CA control is better.

I know I have mentioned CA control as the weak spot for Meostar bins, but the 8X32 is the exception.  It controls it very well, especially for a non-ED bin.  The EL, in contrast, has quite noticeable CA at the edge.
-Matt
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 16:55
I have the 8x32 EL and really like them. For those of us with "old eyes" and who wear glasses they are excellent, however they are pricey and are truly a luxury item. The Meopta 8x32's are very close to the older Leica 8x32's and are lighter in the bargain. In IMHO the Meopta's set the standard for mid priced binoculars...compared to the Swarovski's you could buy the 8x32's and the 7x42's and pretty much be set for life. Try the 8x32 Meopta's and you will be very pleasantly surprised at the performance for the dollars spent. I am going to be buying a pair for "car binoculars" in the not to distant future.
Thanks
Art
Good day.
reggart View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reggart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 22:59
Thank you for your input.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic