OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle project - Savage 110

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rifle project - Savage 110
    Posted: January/15/2012 at 20:52
A little while back I was stumbling around the local gun trader's shop when I noticed a barely used Savage 110 (blued/synthetic w/ accutrigger) in 7mm Rem. Mag.   I checked out the bore.  It was like new.  Rails were still blued.  Bolt face was like new.  Price tag was too low.

I asked the proprietor what was the matter with it.  He said someone "ruined" the stock by pulling the factory recoil pad and installing a shotgun pad.  Sure enough, that was the deal.  I checked to make sure it was not an accustock.  Thankfully it was not.  I told him I would be cannablizing the barreled action and worked the price down a bit more.  A quick check and photocopy of my CCW, and I was out the door, rifle in hand.

I am currently considering which stock to go with.  I know from experience that Bell and Carlson makes a good stock for the money, so now I am narrowing it down to the carbelite, w/magnum lug reinforcement, or Medalist with full aluminum block.  Once I get the stock, I will be Devcon bedding the whole works.

For base and mounts I went with EGW picatinny and TPS HRT rings.  I went with the picatinny due to the extra long base spacing on the Savage 110.  I know that Talley makes nice one-piece jobs for Savage and strongly considered them, but went with the rail due to the action length, and the fact that I like to switch scopes often.

I am going to see if the factory barrel shoots (I haven't tried a Savage that wouldn't), but if it is a lemon, I will be rebarreling to 6.5-284.

Scope:  For hunting use, this rifle will wear my Swaro Z3 4-12X50 w/ BRH currently on the 300 RUM Sendero.  I will also be looking at a high-magnification scope for load development.  I am thinking either the 6-24X50 PST or similarly configured SIII w/ MOA-2 reticle. 

SWFA has already delivered the base and rings.  Today I Devcon-bedded the base stress-free to the action.  We will see what it looks like tomorrow.

I would appreciate any comments or ideas regarding the stock and load-development scope choices.  When not on this rifle for load development, the scope will ride the 300 RUM for long range target mostly (occasional hunting, but this rifle should replace the elkinator for horseback hunts).

-Matt
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 09:08
Congrats!  Hope it's a shooter for you.  Can't wait to see the finished product.  Good luck.
take em!
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 23:56
I would go with the medalist, no question in my mind.  The gun will most likely shoot pretty well, so you might as well cross the barrel off your list. (at least for a week) LOL

Sounds as though you found exactly what I've been searching for.  Seems everyone wants retail prices for used rifles these days.  Almost every gun show I've attended in the past 2 yrs looking I haven't been able to find one for a decent price. (although I'm known for being a tight wad sometimes) This news gives me new hope though!

You might want to go check out SSS. (sharp shooters supply)

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 06:30
Sounds like you gat an excellent deal, Matt!  Can't wait to see the finished product!  I was just watching a Sav 110 in 7mm Mag on one of the auction site like yours.  It sold for $299!  Wish I could have afforded it but there are too many other things at the top of the list that need to come first!!!  Hippie

Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 21:55
Matt,
These Savages make great project platforms. I had a lot of fun with this 6.5-.284 build. It all started with a .270 model 111 I picked up on Gunbroker for $261 with a illum reticle scope. I sold the scope and stock for an even better deal, and still can sell the barrel.
Mine has a B&C Duramaxx stock and a 3- groove 25" SS nitrided barrel from Benchmark. Scoped it with a Nitrex 3-15 in Burris Signature Zee mounts with the offset inserts installed to get an elevation bump.
A piece of cake to install and headspace your own barrel with a minimum of tools.
Keep us posted how it turns out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 11:26
WYcoyote, My original plan was to go with the Duramaxx due to the price, but when I called Stocky Stocks they told me it would not work with my 111 sporter. They said that because mine was a magnum, I needed to go with the medalist. I will still be Devcon bedding the stock no matter what I go with, so I thought I could save money with the Duramaxx. I know the Duramaxx is inletted for a heavy barrel, but I didn't mind having it extra-free floated.

Did your Duramaxx have aluminum pillars installed when you got it? Do you think it would work with my project?

I would appreciate hearing from WYcoyote or anyone else on this.

Thanks.
-Matt
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 18:34
It does come with aluminum pillars and a Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad.
It worked great on mine.  But mine is a non accutrigger and the stagger feed. You may have to do a little Dremel work to fit the Accutrigger.
 This from Stocky's:
  • See our Main Support Page for details on the following:
  • If your blind magazine box (that's the metal liner around where your cartridges are loaded) is attached to the receiver and your takedown screw measurements are either 4 1/4" (short) or 5 1/8" (long action) it will work.
  • It will not work for 4 3/8" short actions or those rifles that don't have the magazine box attached to the receiver, that is a new centerfeed model.
  • I didn't mind the gap on the freefloat, all my FFs are opened up a bit anyway because I like to get one layer of a cotton T-shirt oil rag under them. My barrel contour is a Shilen #4, probably close to a magnum sporter.

I Devcon bedded mine also but trimmed a bunch of stock with a Dremel to make sure the action was supported by the pillars only, and give the bedding a bit of thickness. Another step was to radius the top of the pillars to match the action with as much contact as possible (a bit tedious). In addition I drilled holes wherever possible to add a mechanical lock to the hardened Devcon.
    Be sure and free float the rear tang area, recommended by the veterans at   http://www.savageshooters.com/ 

This on the Duramaxx

Stocky's have a great price, but to get the color I wanted without waiting to be in stock I got mine at Midway USA.
    Any questions let me know, I'm not an expert gunsmith by no stretch, but mine turned out pretty good.
    Doing it yourself is rewarding, and it's a great time to tackle it when the weather stinks.

Edited by WYcoyote - January/19/2012 at 19:12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 19:05
    Thanks WYcoyote,

I actually made sure it was a attached blind magazine box with 5 1/8 spacing before I purchased it, so the B&C stocks would fit.  The gal I talked to at Stocky's didn't actually seem really confident about her advice.

I think I will save some dough and go with the Duramaxx.  I will also be removing plenty of material for a good bed.  Thanks for the tip on free floating the tang.  I will definitely be checking that out, and it makes sense, given the action screw locations.

Thanks again, this was very helpful, and will end up saving me a good amount of money for brass and bullets.
    -Matt
    WYcoyote View Drop Down
    Optics Apprentice
    Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 19:16
    Matt,
    I added a link on the the Duramaxx just after you posted, good info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 19:36
    Originally posted by WYcoyote WYcoyote wrote:

Matt,
    I added a link on the the Duramaxx just after you posted, good info.
    Thanks, but I am not a member of that forum, so I can not view it.

The utility of floating the tang is obvious, given you don't want any bedding material messing with the safety, and it only needs to be bedded pillar to pillar anyway.
    -Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 19:58
    Well, I have been researching the duramaxx, and now I don't know.  I see that it is not recommended for use with a bipod due to the ribbed forend?  I suppose a bunch of Devcon could stiffen it up, but I might spring for the medalist anyway.
    -Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 14:38
    Well, here is the before and after, so far:

Before:

And After (so far):

-Matt
    SD Dog View Drop Down
    OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 14:47
    Looks nice.  Curious how she shoots.
    If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
    SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
    Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 15:42
    nice.
    RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
    Optics Apprentice
    Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 16:52
    Looks prime!
    Old Mil ftw
    cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:03
    Very nice! Bet she's a shooter too! 
    If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
    supertool73 View Drop Down
    Optics God
    Optics God
    Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 17:10
    Looks good Matt.  But you need to get a real scope that thing.  Maybe a Leu  vx2 or maybe a vx 3.  Wink
    Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 18:15
    Thanks guys.  I ended up getting the medalist stock.  Bedding is going to be unusual with the rear screw by the trigger assembly.  We will see how it goes.  Load development starts soon.

I am going to try the 160 Accubond first.  168 Berger and 168 Barnes LRX are other options.
    -Matt
    Tip69 View Drop Down
    Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 19:43
    sweet!

BTW... nice gun vise too!  I especially like the name!
    take em!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 08:28
    Well, I think the bedding turned out really nice.  Dealing with the barrel nut, and recoil lug tab and voids was interesting, but in the end, it looks pretty good:

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - February/18/2012 at 08:34
    -Matt
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic