OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Diopter doesn't seem to work.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diopter doesn't seem to work.
    Posted: January/15/2012 at 15:51
Hi everyone. First time poster here. I'm an absolute beginner and know very little about binoculars so I'm just hoping someone can help me out. 

I've got a pair of Bushnell 10x25 binoculars but the diopter doesn't seem to do anything. It feels quite loose, and just keeps turning in both directions without adjusting the focus at all. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
The rubber eye-piece peels back and I can see a small screw, but wouldn't know where to begin really in terms of fixing the problem. 
They didn't cost me anything. I actually found them about 10 years ago, so I'm not bothered about doing even more damage to them. 

Any help appreciated. Smile

Dan. 

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 21:42
Originally posted by Dan808 Dan808 wrote:

I've got a pair of Bushnell 10x25 binoculars but the diopter doesn't seem to do anything. It feels quite loose, and just keeps turning in both directions without adjusting the focus at all. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
The rubber eye-piece peels back and I can see a small screw, but wouldn't know where to begin really in terms of fixing the problem. 
 Any help appreciated. Smile

Dan. 

Dan,

First off, I would try to locate a <cenTral> positon between the extreme left and extreme right before attempting to tighten the screw, if the screw is still in the hole.

You will need a very tiny jewelers screwdriver for the job.
Try to apply just enough force to tighten the set screw without damaging the screw head slot. 

If the diopter is frozen in place, after all these years, you may need to figure out a way to apply a 'small' amount of WD40 all the way around the diopter, and allow it to soak in for a period of time, before trying to free up the diopter .

Hopefully it is only a loose screw. 

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/16/2012 at 11:51
Dan808 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

Dan,

First off, I would try to locate a <cenTral> positon between the extreme left and extreme right before attempting to tighten the screw, if the screw is still in the hole.

OK, thanks Stan. 
But how would I locate a central position if it turns both ways infinitely and doesn't adjust the focus at all?
i.e There is no extreme left or right. 

So I'd be guessing if I were to attempt this.

Thanks again. 
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 11:28

On mine, I carefully removed the rubber eye cup. Underneath are the set screws that lock it. Tighten them up and adjust the diopter. Then, loosen them and reset them to zero.

Doug
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 12:35
Originally posted by Dan808 Dan808 wrote:

[QUOTE=Bird Watcher] But how would I locate a central position if it turns both ways infinitely and doesn't adjust the focus at all?
i.e There is no extreme left or right. 

Thanks again. 

Dan,

Hopefully your right diopter still has the painted + (plus) on the left side & a - (minus) on the right side, with a 0 (zero) in the middle.
Look for the fixed white? dot below the painted numbers/symbols and center the 0 above the dot & then tighten the screw(s).
Once the screw(s) is/are tightened you should be able to move the diopter and locate extreme left/plus & extreme right/minus.

Stan

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/19/2012 at 12:50
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 12:39
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

Tighten them up and adjust the diopter. Then, loosen them and reset them to zero.
Good advice. Thanks Doug.

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/19/2012 at 22:00
John H.-S. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John H.-S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 02:53
This should be fixable at small cost by a skilled binocular technician who will know what he is doing and will not just make things worse.
Just Google "Binocular Repairs" and you will find a wide choice.  I go to Optrep at Selsey West Sussex whom I recommend unreservedly.
John H.-S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic