OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

my best choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: my best choice
    Posted: January/15/2012 at 15:35
im needing a scope for my 308 most shot would be with 100 yds  I would like something good in low light.looking at around 450$ or under so far I like the Burris Signature Select 3-10X40  the Sightron  3.5-10x40  the Elite 2.5-10x40  and Leupold 2.5-8x36 What would be my best choice for low light and durability
Stan
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 15:46
Hard to go wrong but I would go with the Elite or Sightron
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 15:52
like something about all them 
Stan
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 16:15
On the sample list is a 3.5-10x44 Conquest for 150.00 more than your "limit".  It is what I would  buy... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 16:35
i just have 450 though
Stan
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 19:28
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 19:32
I have thought of the Meopro  just dont know nothing about them  I have exp with Sightron  and Nikon  and mY fav scope ive ever had was a black Diamond  Why im considering the Signature Select  but not sure it is same optically as Black Diamond
Stan
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 20:58
I like the Burris of your three choices.

This is the one I would pay my own money for:

#4 reticle and all for under $400.
-Matt
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 21:01
bitteroot I have considered it and love the #4 reticle  I just dont know nothing about the Meoptas
Stan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 21:23
Meopta is a Czech company that has been around for a long, long time.  They make some good stuff for other big Euro names.  I had a pair of Meopta Meostar bins that I absolutely loved, and never should have sold. 

I have seen the Meopro line of scopes, and I think they are just about interchangeable with Zeiss Conquest in similar configurations.

Like I said earlier, if it was my money, and with your budget and uses, I would get the Meopro.
-Matt
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 21:25
Matt do you think if everhad trouble with it I could get it fixed
Stan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 21:48
I noticed a spec of dust on an internal lens of my binoculars. Pretty common issue on all sorts of optics, and not a real problem, but I called Meopta Customer Service anyway. They said send them in. I sent them in and a couple days later, I had a brand new pair on my step.

I think you would be fine.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 06:14
I sometimes shoot with a guy who replaced/is replacing all his scopes with Meoptas.  Before he had Leupold and Bushnell and says they could not compare with the Meopta .  They are excellent scopes that provide high value to the owner.  I've shot a couple of his rifles and every time he and I are at the range at the same time, he has nothing but praise for the Meopta scopes.  He hunts around the country and shoots in a few bench competitions, very competitively.  While Meopta is not a scope that just "jumps to mind" for me, it should be.  I've enjoyed using the Meopros.  I think he has six of them now and berates me every time I see him for not having purchased one myself.  I probably should, probably will...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 07:42
If it were me and I was looking at shooting around 100yds and timber hunting I would probably be looking for a good 4x fixed power or maybe even a 2.5x. At the most I would think that the 3-9 conquest would serve you pretty well as you would have the 3x for hunting and 9x at the range, and is well within your $$.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 09:08
Originally posted by powderburn powderburn wrote:

If it were me and I was looking at shooting around 100yds and timber hunting I would probably be looking for a good 4x fixed power or maybe even a 2.5x. At the most I would think that the 3-9 conquest would serve you pretty well as you would have the 3x for hunting and 9x at the range, and is well within your $$.

There has been a pretty big bump up in Conquest prices, making the Meopros an even better value.
-Matt
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 18:06
I will say after reading this the Meopta has also comeinto play  I just knew nothing about them before' Optically how are they
Stan
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 18:18
That MeoPro looks interesting.... but not too sure about the reticle...... seems like the dark thick part is too long for my taste!

Big fan of the Conquest 3-9x40, have two now and am very pleased.  Love the reticle... great in low light and timber!  And the 4" of eye relief is hard to beat.  The Meopro says 3.75, which is pretty good.  Would like to compare them both side-by-side..... which is what I'd recommend!
take em!
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 20:34
I have a Leu 2.5-8X36 VX3 and a Zeiss 3-9X40 Conquest.

The Leu is smaller and easier to tote around but is somewhat disapointing in poor light and the Zeiss is clearly superior to the Leu in all aspects; I really like the Zeiss reticle for everthing from paper targets to bad light hunting. I would go for a Zeiss at somewhat near the same price.

I have 2 Zeiss scopes that migrate from rifle to rifle as needed.
icon308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icon308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 20:48
when did the 3-9X40 Zeiss go to 499$
Stan
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 20:56
Originally posted by icon308 icon308 wrote:

when did the 3-9X40 Zeiss go to 499$
WOW!!

25% Hike - Kinda steep, I'd say..............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic