OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight FFP Tactical scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 21:10
Sorry for derailing the thread, but 2-3k is a bit much to spend on something only guaranteed by a hunch. I don't even see why they would bring a scope like this to market, when even garbage Chinese scopes have a better warranty. All things mechanical will eventually fail, these March scopes are no different.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 21:15
It has to do with Japanese law. The length of warranty is dictated by the government, with regards to the size of the company...If you buy one, March will take care of you. They just can't put it in writing... If you don't, don't sweat it!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 21:39
I understand there excuse about Japanese law.  Nightforce, vortex, swfa, sightron, and several other optics companies have there scopes made in Japan.  All the while, offering an excellent warranty.  If Japanese law really is that strict, they should have moved headquarters to a more "small business" friendly country.  Otherwise, I believe, they are just wasting time bringing a product like this into our marketplace.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 21:52
I think that the comparison companies you listed are American Companies and not subject to Japanese warranty restrictions.  I believe Deon is Japanese, and so restricted.
-Matt
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 22:00
Originally posted by 6.5x47 6.5x47 wrote:

I understand there excuse about Japanese law.  Nightforce, vortex, swfa, sightron, and several other optics companies have there scopes made in Japan.  All the while, offering an excellent warranty.  If Japanese law really is that strict, they should have moved headquarters to a more "small business" friendly country.  Otherwise, I believe, they are just wasting time bringing a product like this into our marketplace.
 Thanks for sharing... I believe they offer a package that is not available from anybody else! March was the first of 10x erectors, let alone the first to offer it in FFP! And they put it in a scope that doesn't way a ton! Do I have one? No. Would I like one? Yes! But right now it just a bit out of my personal price range. While warranty is a concern, with March trying to grow there business here, I doubt they would risk even one bad CS review.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 22:00

I understand there excuse about Japanese law.  Nightforce, vortex, swfa, sightron, and several other optics companies have there scopes made in Japan.  All the while, offering an excellent warranty. 

There is a distinct difference between being manufactured in Japan for a USA company and a Japanese company as far as the law is concerned.

If I could afford a March scope I would not hesitate to purchase one.  And here is a quote from March concerning the warranty,

"Understandably many people ask this question. In Japan, businesses under a certain size generally offer a warranty of 5 years as per the guidelines recommended by the Industry and Government. This is also true of items like high end camera lenses etc. Deon Optical Corporation is a small custom design and manufacturing company. To maintain their high standards of quality and attention to detail they intend to stay that way for years to come. The way these scopes are built would make it difficult for any larger profit driven company to match. So far Deon have demonstrated to the world they stand behind their products no matter what. The confidence of never needing to use the warranty in the first place is preferable for all of us.

In general terms lifetime warranties are fine but if you need to use that lifetime warranty often then there will be little confidence in your ownership and use of the product."

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 23:47
I thought that the issue of the March warranty has been beaten to death multiple times before.  

Admittedly, I do not understand the fascination with a written warranty anyway.  You either trust a company to support their product or you do not.  If the company chooses to not support their product, they can give you the most beautifully written warranty ever, but you still can not make them do anything about fixing a broken scope.

If you put attention to the wording of most warranties out their, they usually leave themselves enough room to wiggle out of doing anything if they are so inclined.  

I have never bought a product because the warranty card looked good.  The product has to be good and the company has to be trustworthy.

ILya
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2012 at 02:48
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">

Otherwise, I believe, they are just wasting time bringing a product like this into our marketplace.

You're perfectly free to not like their policy and not buy their product.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

They probably define what is a waste of time a bit differently though.  When people are buying their products as fast as they can make them, they certainly aren't wasting their time or their customers'.  On the contrary, they're probably doing a lot of things right to be in that position.  I was on a waiting list a long time to buy one; I'm sure people currently on their waiting lists are happy to hear from people that don't like the warranty--one fewer on the list in front of them.

priler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2012 at 03:04
  sorry for being the necromancer here and bringing a dead thread back to life but......

ILya,please do write a good comparison article on this and please wait until you can get your hands on a weaver tactical 2-10x36. i am dying for any kind of review.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2012 at 08:33
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I thought that the issue of the March warranty has been beaten to death multiple times before.  

Admittedly, I do not understand the fascination with a written warranty anyway.  You either trust a company to support their product or you do not.  If the company chooses to not support their product, they can give you the most beautifully written warranty ever, but you still can not make them do anything about fixing a broken scope.

If you put attention to the wording of most warranties out their, they usually leave themselves enough room to wiggle out of doing anything if they are so inclined.  

I have never bought a product because the warranty card looked good.  The product has to be good and the company has to be trustworthy.

ILya

It probably comes from the way folks are treated by the auto industry. 50,001 miles? Too bad.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
luckybaer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckybaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 17:59
I'd love to hear more about the new Weaver 1-10x. They don't even have them in stock at SWFA!

luckybaer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckybaer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 20:58
Originally posted by luckybaer luckybaer wrote:

I'd love to hear more about the new Weaver 1-10x. They don't even have them in stock at SWFA!

Uh... let's make that 2-10x...

Model 800368

So secret that Weaver can't even reveal its weight in the 2012 catalog!!

Wink
priler View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 11:46
  someone on another forum gave the weight for the weaver tactical 2-10x36 as 23.49 oz. however,i can't verify if this is correct or not and he didn't give his source for the spec.. seems logical though,take the weight of the 3-15x50 version with it's larger objective bell,similar features and 5x erector,...reduce the objective bell size,which reduces weight,and it probably is 23.49 oz..

a call to weaver might clarify.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/03/2012 at 11:50
Originally posted by priler priler wrote:

someone on another forum gave the weight for the weaver tactical 2-10x36 as 23.49 oz. however,i can't verify if this is correct or not and he didn't give his source for the spec.. seems logical though,take the weight of the 3-15x50 version with it's larger objective bell,similar features and 5x erector,...reduce the objective bell size,which reduces weight,and it probably is 23.49 oz..

a call to weaver might clarify.

The weight seems about right.  i saw the scope at SHOT and it was moderately hefty, but not excessively so.

ILya
KIMBER8400AT View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Vig

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIMBER8400AT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 00:27

I started thinking about weight when I decided to build a lightweight long range AR.

I am not real big on AR-10 platform, so I decided to stick with AR-15 and chamber it for 6.5Grendel.

Here is how it is currently configured:

With the rather slim March scope on top it weighs in at 10.5lbs with bipod (unloaded).

March is a ~$3k scope which is not something everyone can afford (I am not sure I can keep it either), so I started thinking about other options. 

ILya

Let me guess, this is in Angeles shooting range?
“Don't carry a gun. It's nice to have them close by, but don't carry them. You might get arrested.” J.G.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/07/2012 at 00:35
Originally posted by KIMBER8400AT KIMBER8400AT wrote:

I started thinking about weight when I decided to build a lightweight long range AR.

I am not real big on AR-10 platform, so I decided to stick with AR-15 and chamber it for 6.5Grendel.

Here is how it is currently configured:

With the rather slim March scope on top it weighs in at 10.5lbs with bipod (unloaded).

March is a ~$3k scope which is not something everyone can afford (I am not sure I can keep it either), so I started thinking about other options. 

ILya

Let me guess, this is in Angeles shooting range?

Yep.

I was there earlier today and will probably stop by again on Sunday afternoon.

ILya
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic