OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Razor HD Bino Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Razor HD Bino Design
    Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:28

Appears Vortex is offering a new Razor HD Bino model in their lineup. Has anyone had a chance to look at these at any shows? I don't think they will be offered until this summer.  I find it peculiar that they are doing this since they came out with a new design in 2011. 

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 18:30
I'd bet nobody see any before the SHOT show.  I think even that may be pushing it as there seem to be lots of new numbers tha are talking March availability, so some samples might be at SHOT.

This is just an opinion and as such may be worth just what was paid for it, but here goes Big Smile.  I think the Vortex Talon series was putting a crimp in the Razor HD sales.  The Talon HD is very good and much less money than the Razor.  I think Vortex made an internal decision to go with the Talon HD as far as their open bridge binoculars.  They butressed this decision by putting out an 8x32 Talon HD with some pretty awesome specs.  So after this, what to do with the Razor name?  I think what they did was to go back into their own archives and pull out the Stokes DLS binocular.  You may remember this was introduced along with the original Razor.  Anyway, there is a perfectly good design, I never really understood why the DLS didn't fare better in the first place, very fine binocular.  So, without having to engineer and develop a new design (they already know where to go to have the DLS design built) they take the DLS, update the glass and coatings, give it a little extra length to accomodate the APO triplet objective group, give it a couple of cosmetic changes, and ...viola' the new Razor.  Fresh start with a new appearance new glass and a different appeal from the open bridge design.  Not a bad approach I think.

Edited by Klamath - January/11/2012 at 18:35
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 19:32
I think this binocular looks very interesting.  Just from the CG models they have on the website, it looks like it could be some kind of new eyepiece design.  The specs sheet is extremely impressive ... for the 10x.  A whopping 6.9 degree field of view in a 10x!  Holy cow.  The 8x is entirely unappealing however, with its relatively narrow 7.4 degree field of view.

The FFP hunting scopes are interesting also.  We will have to see if the hunting public wants a super-busy Christmas tree reticle.  It is tempting for me.

Vortex is certainly bringing out some different stuff.
-Matt
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 16:47
Their current Razor HD just came out last year.  Is there anything wrong with the open bridge razor HD that prompted their decision to switch to different style?
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 12:11
Anybody seen a pair yet?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic