OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

long range binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donny856 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: long range binoculars
    Posted: January/10/2012 at 19:46
I am looking to upgrade to a bigger set of binoculars.  I plan to be using them off of a tripod for glassing at longer ranges would like to spend around $1000.  Thinking maybe 12x the zeiss conquests look interesting but haven't looked through to many other larger binos.  Any suggestions for me?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 21:32
15X56 Vortex Kaibabs are really nice.

If weight isn't too much of a factor, the Docter Nobilem 15X60 is killer:

Or if individual focus doesn't bother you the Fujinon 16X70s have killer optics:

If tripod mounted, I would go ahead and bump up to 15x-16x.
-Matt
westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:16
I owned a pair of Kaibabs and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a 15x glass.  In my opnion the best glass for the $ and warrenty.  You can find some great reviews on here by some of the members.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 11:12
Originally posted by westernhunter23 westernhunter23 wrote:

I owned a pair of Kaibabs and highly recommend them to anyone looking for a 15x glass.  In my opnion the best glass for the $ and warrenty.  You can find some great reviews on here by some of the members.

This was my favorite paragraph from koshkin's review:

"In practical terms, I saw about the same amount of detail with the spotter set on about 23x-24x as I did with the 15x binoculars. Not surprisingly, if you plan to do any serious time glassing, I would pick the binoculars every time. Despite the lower magnification, using both eyes really makes up for a slightly smaller image. If I were to use a higher end spotter instead of my Pentax, I suspect that ~18x-20x spotter magnification would equal 15x with a binocular. As the light got dimmer, the advantages of using both eyes became more pronounced. That is partly due to the better glass in Vortex and Swaro and partly due to the remarkable interpretive ability that our brains possess". Thunbs Up Shocked

Edited by Bird Watcher - January/12/2012 at 20:19
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2012 at 12:17
I love my 15x56 Kaibabs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic