OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Benchrest Guns

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Benchrest Guns
    Posted: January/10/2012 at 09:36
Who can tell me some info on these?  I went to a shoot this past weekend and we shot at 200yds. I shot my regular tactical gun and was like a fish out of water.

Looking at building a 30BR, say they are easy to load for and consistant.  Plus barrel life is extremely long.  This true?

Also would I see a real big jump in performance with a custom action or having a factory remington 700 action worked over (blueprinted/trued)  do just as well?

Why do so many folks glue the action to the stock vs screws?

Edited by SVT_Tactical - January/10/2012 at 09:37
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 09:45
I'd head over to the snipershide.com forum
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 09:52

I will eventially go over to benchrest central but wanted input here first.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 09:59
Ahhh, the match for machinest and mechanical engineers.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 10:10
yeah there were a lot of "know everythingers' there.
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 19:29
SVT_Tactical,

Can't really say if the 30 BR will have a long barrel life. The BR family is suppsed to be easy on barrel life. Still working with my 7mm BR and don't have many rounds down the tube yet.

As for why gluing the action I will venture a guess that they are hoping to reduce any stress build up in the action.

One thing that I have found is when one person has luck something everybody goes running to the new item. Benchtest shooting has made me really abandon many long held "shooting truths about guns and ammo".
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:25

most all info I have seen say 30 BR barrel life is over 6K with a top contender still shooting his with over 8K and no change in accuracy. 

trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:40
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I am a machinist, and would be a fish out of water in that world. I don't have the patients at the load bench for what they do.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:50
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I am a machinist, and would be a fish out of water in that world. I don't have the patients at the load bench for what they do.
 Not that all machinest are benchresters, but many benchresters are machinest, or atleast have those skills.
I'd like to have those skills, but I don't have the patients to learn them. That, and I would always be trying to buy the latest in mills and lathes.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:51
stool shooting is its own game. The only comminality is guns. Mostly nothing can be transposed to practical shooting, but unfortunately stool shooters will try.  Most good br guns are built on custom single shot actions such as BAT , and like wise for barrels, usually running around 3k for the gun. Reloading takes on a new meaning as in reality the shooting is just to empty the cases so you will have someting to reload--to very tight specs. OCB is a prerequiste (OCD is medical term and requires a diagnosis) usually requiring medications in the form of 10 tools to do the same thing, Words like progressive reloader, dispersion, cone of fire, moa, must be forgotton and never thought of again. Selecting the correct epoxy to cement the inside of your scope so the cross hairs will never move will become your grail, and bringing back external elevation and windage adjustments will be thetopic of every coffee break.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:55
should add that barrel life will become a non-topic but the latest meplat gadget will have everybody agog.
Yogi Bera

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 11:12
When I was new to shooting and reloading, I was in one of my favorite gunshops when a friend of the owner came in with his BR rifle. It looked like someone put a gas main pipe on a bolt action, inletted it into a railroad tie, and put an observatory telescope on it. I lost all interest in that sport right there.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 13:01
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

I'm there brother!  I was at my range and talking to the first serious 6MM BR guy I have met there.
His gun weighted 18+ pounds and his scope cost more than my car!!!  He made a 1.5oz trigger. Heck I thing his front rest cost more than my entire set-up!!! Bucky

Then he showed me a target he had just retrieved after running the scope knobs end to end in 1/2" increments basically creating a cross with the holes.  I swear I couldn't draw a straiter cross with a laser!!!  17 shots in all, all perfectly aligned! THAT was some serious shootin!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 13:18
can you really call it shooting when the fundamentals of markmanship no longer apply, cheek weld is a no-no and anything touching the gun except the tip of the trigger is bad form?
Yogi Bera

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 15:13
Have to agree with you there, Dale.  They work real hard at taking the human element out of the equation don't they.  Still it's an impressive show of quality and craftsmanship to get a gun, scope and load combo to perform like that!

Edited by budperm - January/12/2012 at 18:53
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 15:23
Sorta like mini-artillary.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic