OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX6 or Swarovski Z3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX6 or Swarovski Z3
    Posted: January/08/2012 at 13:11
I bought a .300WM that I want to top with a decent scope.  I love the SS 3-9x42 on my FNAR, but I want a little more mag this time around.  95% of time it will be used for hunting.

I can get a good "sample list" deal on the Z3 4-12x50  or for the same money I can get the VX6 2-12x42.

I like the idea of 2x on the low end, but I like the idea of 50mm objective for light gathering.  I know that both will get me past legal hunting hours.  My SS 3-9 does this easily ( I could hunt at night if I had moonlight).  This leads me to believe that the 42mm vs 50mm shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Which has better glass?  I'm looking at ~ $800 for either.  I'm having trouble finding a good comparison of these scopes.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out on the VX6.

It's amazing how optics decisions can somehow feel life altering.

Thanks!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 13:32
I have the Z3 scope, and I like the optical performance a lot.  Centerfield performance is astounding.  The sweet spot is nice, but the image falls off at the edges like many riflescopes. 
The best part of my Z3 is the reticle:  the BRH reticle.  The BRH is a BDC reticle that is subtended in mils, and so is easy to dope for your load.  The windage bars are nice also.

Another nice feature of the Z3 is it is light and feels compact for a 50mm objective scope.

I had this scope on my 300 Ultra Sendero (the elkinator), but I am moving it to a 7mm magnum build I am doing on a Savage 110 I found.  This rifle will be a more traditional hunting rifle in form (compared to the Sendero), and I think the Z3 will be a nice match for it.

I haven't seen the VX-6, but it seems like it has a nice set of features and a good company to back it up.  If the optical quality is there, it will be a fine scope.

the Z3 is a top-end scope at a moderate price.
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 13:38
I have not had the chance to see the VX6 but have had good reports from those who have.  Like you mentioned I think it would be really nice to have that 2x on the low end.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 08:29
The Z3 4-12-50mm with BRH retical is a great scope.  I have one on my Browning X-Bolt in .243 which I do some deer hunting but mostly varmit hunting here in the southeast US.  This is my first 50mm and it gathers a lot more light at dusk and dawn and you can count points with this scope and not just tell if a deer has antlers.  The view and sweet spot out of it is awsome.  This is my first move from Leupolds which I have used for the past 20 years and I'm very impressed.  My next scope with be a Swarovski 30mm.  Can't beat the view out of them.
D. Holmes
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 12:09
my 2 cents is the versatility of the 2-12 would seal the deal for me if the optics are close
Jeff
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 16:15
Originally posted by Cooper25 Cooper25 wrote:

my 2 cents is the versatility of the 2-12 would seal the deal for me if the optics are close

This was my thinking if the optics are close, but unfortunately there hasn't been a good comparison.  A forum member has one, but hasn't reported back on wha the thinks.  The z3 on the sample list for $799 is tempting.
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 19:42
Just flip a coin.Either will be stellar and you will probably hear a lot of reports either way on which is better,depending on the personal bias. My advice would be to wait a bit and go with the Leupold if initial reports are good just to get 2X on the low end.

PS
If you do get the Leupold,please invite me over to look through it in low light.Howdy 
dw0229 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dw0229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 01:13
In my opinion,the argument for better glass is definately the Swarovski Z3.I have owned one and compared it to one of my Leupold's in a similar configuration.I own several Leupold scopes and find them do be rugged and well built but to me they lack both in low light and sharpness performance.I recently was deer hunting with a rifle that I traded for that had a vx-3 3.5-10x40 and as I looked through the scope I remember thinking-wow;how unvibrant and dull the woods look after having hunted so much with the European scopes.My eyes definately know the difference.Fromm what I read there is is nothing really different or improved as far as the vx-6's glass or coatings as say compared to a vx-3;plus the vx-6 is kinda expensive.Also consider the z3 in a 3-10x42 with a 4a reticle.If possible do a side by side.
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 18:33
If glass is better in the z3, is there any other reason to go with the high-end Leupold other than increased field of view at low mag?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 20:26
I sent my VX6 to a buddy to have him test it alongside these scopes he has on hand.......

Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42mm
Swarovski Z3 3-10x42mm
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm and 3-9x40mm
Kahles Helia CSX 2.5-10x50mm,

I'm interested to get his take on it. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 08:29
Is there any concern for the Z3 sitting on a hard kicker like the 300WM?  Seems like I remember something about that.  Or was that the previous generation?
take em!
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 10:26
Good question. The more I read, the more I see the z3 is in a lightweight package. This may be the reson for the z5 line. If this is the case, then swaro is out of my spending range.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 10:31
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Is there any concern for the Z3 sitting on a hard kicker like the 300WM?  Seems like I remember something about that.  Or was that the previous generation?

I've got over 100 rounds of 300 RUM on mine, no issues.

Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

Good question. The more I read, the more I see the z3 is in a lightweight package. This may be the reson for the z5 line. If this is the case, then swaro is out of my spending range.

Lightweight scopes often resist recoil better than heavier scope, due to the decreased inertia.
-Matt
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 10:34
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 10:36
Oops, sorry about double post
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 18:08
I pulled the trigger on the Vx6 with the plex reticle today.  Not sure if I'll end up keeping it, but I couldn't pass on the price.  A friend has many high end scopes Zeiss , S&B, and Swaro both new models and old.  He's currently swapping everything to Z6, from diavari, and PH series.

I'm going to let him give his opinion.  He hunts all over,and all different terrain.  Open plains, mountains, klondike, for a variety of animals white tail, moose, elk, carrabou, mountain goat (that may have just disgraced the actual animal, but it looks lile a goat with big horns to me :))

He's a swaro fan, but I think he'll give me an honest report and if I should send it back for a Z3.  I'll post his review to add to the scarce info out there.  Hopefully it will be here soon, but I'm not sure where it is shipping from.
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 18:17
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 07:17
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 17:21
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I sent my VX6 to a buddy to have him test it alongside these scopes he has on hand.......

Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x42mm
Swarovski Z3 3-10x42mm
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm and 3-9x40mm
Kahles Helia CSX 2.5-10x50mm,

I'm interested to get his take on it. 

Get any feed-back?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 13:50

Here's the conclusion to my friend's comparison. 

The Zeiss Conquest is clearly a step below the VX6.

So the battle was between the VX6 and the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42mm

During normal daylight, both scopes appear to be almost a draw. The Swaro did edge it out (barely), but I feel this could be subject. Really too close to call.

However, once the sun goes down, it's a different story. Testing the scopes side by side 10 minutes after legal sunset showed that the Swarovski does slightly edge out the VX6. The Swaro appears slightly brighter, and the resolution is better.
As stated previously, the VX-6 has the most generous eye relief, eye box, and FOV. It's quite easy to get behind, and the FOV is simply wonderful.

One would still have no difficulty with killing game 30 minutes past sunset with the VX6.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic