OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help with Scope for Cooper Model 57M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Scope for Cooper Model 57M
    Posted: January/07/2012 at 19:26

This is my first post on this forum, so hello to everyone.  I’m pretty new to the rifle scope thing, so please be gentle.  However, I try to do my homework and not ask stupid questions.  The competitor scope I mention below is the only scope I have purchased to date.  I shoot mostly handguns, but got the 22 rim-fire rifle bug recently.

I have a new Cooper 57M and having trouble selecting a scope.  I want a really good scope to match it, so I’m putting my budget around $1500 give or take a few.  I’ve looked at so many scopes my mind is numb.  I had my heart set on the Leica 3.5-14x42 ER until I realized the parallax correction is set at 100 yd to infinity (and please correct me if I am wrong about this).  I figure with a 22LR I want minimum 50yd to infinity.  I also looked at Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 and it seems to have the specs I would want, but I’m not sure about the glass quality on Bushnell.  I read a couple bad reviews on Bushnell optics quality, but you can’t believe everything you read.  Bottom line, I want real quality glass.This would be for target shooting only, up to and maybe beyond 100 yards.

I bought a competitor Ultra RM 3-9x32, AO, Mil Dot and put it on my Marlin 39A.  I think it is an excellent scope; great “bang for the buck” at only $225.  But it did make me realize I want a bit more magnification at 100 yds.

I guess what I am looking for is:

- Variable with at least 14X
- AO with parallax correction minimum of 50 yards
- Really good glass!

I’m not sure if I want or need target turrets.  They look cool, and since I am specifically target shooting, it seems they would be a good thing to have.  I’m not sure why some scopes come with the elevation only turret.

All comments and suggestions will be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Mark A.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 20:44
http://swfa.com/Swarovski-35-18x44-Z5-Riflescope-P40822.aspx 
Welcome to OT manderson, This glass gets great reviews here at OT and I would think it would go real nice with that cooper 57. Another one you might want to check out is the 4.5-14x44 conquest with side focus http://swfa.com/Zeiss-45-14x44-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P616.aspx the conquest focuses down to 30yrds  the swaro is at 55yrds hope this helps Kevin
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 23:11
The Swarovski Z5 looks perfect.  I thought these were way out of my price range at first glance.  The specs say focus down to 55 meters which would be 60 yards.  Is the difference of ten yards splitting hairs about something that doesn't matter?
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 09:22
I to have recently got the bug and will be shooting from 25yrds out to 100yrds in some local rimfire leaques so I wanted a scope to close focus at these distances. So your ? on ten yards splitting hairs is something you will have to determine. The Leica you mentioned looks like in specs that its range is 54.7yrds to ~  BTW I would not count out the Bushy and its close range is 10yrds  imo
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by coyote95 coyote95 wrote:

I to have recently got the bug and will be shooting from 25yrds out to 100yrds in some local rimfire leaques so I wanted a scope to close focus at these distances. So your ? on ten yards splitting hairs is something you will have to determine. The Leica you mentioned looks like in specs that its range is 54.7yrds to ~  BTW I would not count out the Bushy and its close range is 10yrds  imo
I am looking at the exact same thing, 25 to 100 yards, and want to be positively certain of what I purchase up front.  (It's the 25 yard line I'm having the most trouble with... Whacko)  I'll take my time and get it right.  Thanks for your help.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 16:47
manderson, I did notice cooper shows on their web sight a lot of rifles are wearing leupolds.  that says something to me..... this is the one I went with.
http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12689.aspx  btw what a nice lookinThunbs Up rifle that 57m is.

Edited by coyote95 - January/09/2012 at 16:52
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 17:23
The Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 you have was my first choice.  I was looking at the LR model which probably isn't necessary.  My only reservation was that Koshkin did a review and said it was a bit uncomfortable having to move your head to compensate for eye relief from low to high power.  Maybe this isn't a big deal either.
I've pretty much decided to go with your first recommendation, the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44, but I need to decide on the reticle.  I kind of like the 4A-300 and the BRX.  Plain old Plex might be better for a 22LR, but there's always the possibility I might want to use it on something else in the future.  (I have a hankering for a 7mm-08.)

Thanks for all of your help.  I'll let you know how it goes.  The Cooper arrived today, but it might be a month or so before I order the scope. 

Mark
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 09:23
http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x50-ZA5-Riflescope-P48162.aspx
Another choice.  Parallax adjustment from 25yd to ~.  Larger objective at 50mm, but the 42mm does not have adjustable parallax.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 11:12
Which of the 57m's are you mounting this intended scope? The JS and all 3 of the Classic series are slim and trim rifles. A 30 MM tubed scope will be somewhat over powering for the size of these rifles to my eye. If you have the LTV, the larger frame will accommodate the larger tube size. For a short while I had a 4.5-14X40 VX III Leupold mounted on a LTV in 22 mag. The newer VX-3 is reported to have much better glass than the VX-III. I truly love my Coopers.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 12:42
I picked the Cooper up last night.  It is The Classic model, and the box label reads Model: 57M Style: LHCL.  It is a nice "slim and trim" little rifle.  The AA stock is just what I expected, very nice but nothing to write home about.  Of course, I'm looking for a great shooter, not looks.  I spoke with Cooper prior to the purchase just to confirm there is absolutely nothing different in mechanics or functionality between the standard and custom models.  They confirmed that all you are paying for is very pretty wood.

I'm going with the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 AO, but need to decide on a reticle.  What do you think of the Varmint Hunter reticle?  http://swfa.com/Leupold-45-14x40-VX-3-Riflescope-P12691.aspx  It's $180 more than the Fine Duplex.  Is it completely unnecessary or useless for target shooting?  I thought it might be useful for wind compensation, but remember I am completely new to scoping rifles properly.

Leupold also confirmed that the VX-3 4.5-14x40 AO has parallax adjustment at 25 yards. The LR or Long Range model with side AO is set at 75 yards.

The guys at the gun shop said I was going way overkill with the Swarovski Z5 on a 22LR.  My original intent was to make the investment in the Swaro, and possibly use it on a higher caliber rifle in the future.  More logical thinking tells me I have a very nice rifle here, and I should buy a scope that is going to stay on it forever.  Therefore, I'm going with the Leupold and just need to finalize decision on the reticle.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 12:56
Correction - The price difference between Leupold Fine Duplex and Varmint Hunter reticle is $80.00
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 15:02
If I am dialing in correction on a target, I prefer target knobs. And I am considering the same scope for another 22 I am looking at. And if I do purchase that Leupold 4.5-14 I would send it back to Leupold and have the W/E knobs changed to some target knobs or possibly the tactical knobs so I would not have to remove the caps to change W/E.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 15:33
Leupold 3-9x33 Mark AR Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope Leupold 3-9x33 Mark AR Rimfire E.F.R. Riflescope
Stock # - LEU003933
This would be a very nice fit on that rifle witout so much overkill. IMO. Get some pics posted. You will be happy with that rifle. Have a good weekend.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 10:22
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

If I am dialing in correction on a target, I prefer target knobs. And I am considering the same scope for another 22 I am looking at. And if I do purchase that Leupold 4.5-14 I would send it back to Leupold and have the W/E knobs changed to some target knobs or possibly the tactical knobs so I would not have to remove the caps to change W/E.
I agree.  And if I got the LR model with the AO knob on the left side, it also looks like they can change the parallax to 25 yards.  I'm a lefty and think this would be very convenient.  Looks like having the target knobs added and parallax correction would be around $75.00.  You could also get get the low profile CDS knobs in plain MOA marking, but they are much more expensive ($180.00).  Glad you pointed this out.  I'll call them again Monday.
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 10:40
Ooops.  Think I am wrong about having the parallax adjusted.  Their web site says "Not available on Adjustable Objective or Long Range Scopes".  (Can't wait till I get past the forum rule for editing posts.)
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 15:33
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 17:07
hello manderson and welcome to the forum.
If you haven't made up your mind entirely about the Leu[pold (which should be a great scope), then
Sightron makes some interesting models and the Big Sky and SIII models have very good glass, at least on par with Conquests.

Here's a model that has covered target turrets and AO:
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9167.aspx

Sightron might have a rebate program going, but don't quote me on that.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
manderson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 21:56
I have not bought the scope yet, and that Sightron SII Big Sky looks really nice with perfect specs.  Good reviews too.  I wonder if the dot reticle is big enough to be annoying.  It comes in standard plex too.

This whole "pick the right scope" thing is mind bending.  I had pretty much decided on the Leupold because lots of good things being said about the new VX3 glass, and with the fine duplex reticle because I think this is probably best for a 22LR.  (Although the Varmint Hunter reticle still looks really cool).

If someone pops up and says the Sightron SII glass is better than the Leupod, I think I'll go bonkers!  I mean, it's a one shot deal after you shell out the cash (pardon the pun).

I'm just waiting now to do my taxes.  I had to pay a lot last year to the state, and I want to see what the deal is before I spend any money.  I'll post when the scope is purchased, and some pics of the rifle when the scope is mounted.

Thanks again to everyone.
shawn1885 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawn1885 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 18:34
I have one of the Leupold VX III's on a Sako quad and love that scope.  The VX3 would be a bit nicer yet.  The size of this scope and power range work well for hunting and paper.

I just purchased a new Cooper JSR in HM2 and plan on putting the VX3 4.5x14 on it as well.....  

I was thinking about the 3x9 EFR which I also have on a winni 52 repo but I like the higher power when at the range.

As for the eye relief changing???  I usually take my eye off if I am changing the power anyway and then when I go back to shooting I just settle in where I need to be without thinking any different....  I don't see it as an issue.

The conquest mentioned is also a great scope but is quite a bit bigger than the Leupold not to mention quite a bit more $$$$.
kesi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 12:50
Originally posted by shawn1885 shawn1885 wrote:

The VX3 would be a bit nicer yet.
a subjective sense I suppose.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic