OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My chioces....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My chioces....
    Posted: January/07/2012 at 17:14
So heres my choices with my new "wife approved budget"Sad 
1) Burris Fullfield 2 4.4-14x42 (AO) Demo-C 199.00
2)Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 (non AO) Demo-B 199.00
3)Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 (SF) Demo-B 219.00
Staedy Aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 17:23
Hit the wrong dang button !!!
4) new Vortex Diamond back 4-12x40 ( NON AO ) 199.00

So they all seem like good scopes. I want a hunting/target scope. I dont care much for the Nikoplex reticle for target shooting but its the only one with side focus. I would jump on the Vortew but I have heard the eye relief is bad @ 3.4-3.1. Plus without an AO im not sure sure of the clearity at 12 power. Any thoughts....
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 17:51
i've had the burris for over 12 years and love it

i don't like nikons because of their warranty

weavers warranty is about the same as nikon

and vortex has the best warranty in the business.

burris or vortex
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 18:38

I've got two GS's. A 4.75x40 and a 3-10x40.  Nice scopes.  Good optics although they give a whiteish tint to the image in low light.  Track and hold zero like a Weaver.  Eye relief leaves something to be desired (especially after using scopes in the 4" range) and on the 3-10x40 there is a big difference in e/r between 3X and 10X. 
  One thing I should mention is that these scopes were at their top optically when Blount owned Weaver.  After Weaver was sold the new owners (?) changed lense suppliers and quality dropped.  Both of mine are Blount models so I can't speak for what's available now.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 18:53
Out of those, Burris would be the choice for me.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 19:16
Good info on the weavers..thanks. I wasnt aware there was some changes at the company. I do like the burris and im sure even a demo-c would be fine but its tough to beat the Vortex warranty. as far as glass goes which would be better ?
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 19:17
I have 2 Burris 4X14 scopes and like them. I paid well over $199 and I still like them. I would jump on it for $199.YippeeExcellent
Black Bear Road
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 20:19
Yeah. 200 is a good price. I probably sound like a penny pinchin SOB asking questions about a scope in that range. I used to spend a whole hell of alot more than that at the bar way back when......sure was fun though.  
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 23:08
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Out of those, Burris would be the choice for me.

+1  The FFII has better glass that the Diamondback in my opinion by a good margin.  Now the Viper might be different, but out of the scopes you list, Burris is my first choice.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 10:07
Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 would be my choice by far. In fact, I have one and love it. 
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 10:24
my 4.5-14 was $323 at wholesale 12 years ago.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 17:08
Well I would say I am gettin the burris then. I hope they have one left on the Samplelist. I do appreciate everyones input. Is that your muley Bitteroot ? Did ya mount it ?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 17:21
I like the Buckmaster. I had the very same scope on a .300 RUM and it worked great.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 17:29
You know that was my first choice till I saw the Nikoplex reticle. IMO its a little too bulky. But a side focus would be nice.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 17:35
Originally posted by Staedy Aim Staedy Aim wrote:

IMO its a little too bulky.

Isn't this a hunting reticle too? I shot some teeny tiny groups with my BM. Wink

I didn't think it was "bulky". YMMV though.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 17:43
Yes it will be for hunting and target shooting. I have a duplex on my elk gun and usually just range and then holdover if needed. I guess I was thinking the ballistic reticle would be a nice change.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 18:05
This would be a good 200 dollar scope as well.
http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-4200-Rifle-Scope-P51666.aspx
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 18:40
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE3940SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HDThunbs Up
  • Side Focus
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
$199.99 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/08/2012 at 18:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 18:53
Originally posted by Staedy Aim Staedy Aim wrote:

Yes it will be for hunting and target shooting. I have a duplex on my elk gun and usually just range and then holdover if needed. I guess I was thinking the ballistic reticle would be a nice change.
Sometimes the balistic reticle is helpful, but sometimes it causes people to miss because most dont realize that the marks on the reticle represent a different distance at every different power with a second focal plane scope. Dialing in correction with tactical knobs is the most accurate way to compensate for long range trajectory issues. If a guy has a balistic reticle he usually zeroes the center X at 100 or at 200 then the lines below should be approximately a hundred yards more for each mark but that is at the maximum power of the scope. With variable power scopes where you need to dial down the power to brighten the scope in low light you may be working about 6x rather than 9x or 12 x in low light. If you do go with a balistic reticle you need to spend time on the range at different distances while using both max power and also when at 6x or what ever power you will use while stalking or shooting off hand.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 19:59
Very good info Urimaginaryfrnd. I have read up on the whole FFP/SFP thing so I know what your saying. I think the scope will probably stay in a low power setting for hunting due to the limited range of the caliber. When punching paper under good conditions I can play around with it until I get the feel for it. I have heard good things about the elites but wouldnt a 3-9 be a little under powered for hitting paper at 500 yrds ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic