OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30 06 Brass Dimples

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30 06 Brass Dimples
    Posted: January/07/2012 at 15:30
I am new to reloading and have started on 30 06 brass. I have one small dimple on the shoulder of each piece of brass. These where cleaned and processed with a Lee hand press and new dies. Any help would be appreciated as to cause. Also, can I proceed to load or do the 50 pieces of brass need to be discarded. They where shot once and are Remington Core Lok.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 15:43
Welcome to the OT!

What lube are you using?  How much?

This is a common problem from having too much lube on your brass.

i use Hornady Unique Case Lube and only lube every third case.
-Matt
Kmedsr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 15:52
Matt,
Thanks for your response. I was using Lee resizing lube and a full size resizing die. I applied a small dab on each case keeping it mostly on the case body. I thought this was following the instruction. Do you think the cases can be used?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 16:08
they will blow back out if you shoot them. just keep a close eye on them the next time you reload.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

they will blow back out if you shoot them. just keep a close eye on them the next time you reload.

Thunbs Up  Try a different lube, or use less of the stuff your using.

hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 02:14
I would inspect both the 'new' dies and take a good look at the chanber, just to be thorough. Their may be some grit in the dies, or perhaps a burr. Just a thought.
Kmedsr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 10:18
To all responders: this is my first outing on the OT. I am very appreciative of the information provided. I am really enjoying the learning process and realize there is much to learn. While reading the instructions and literature is always important, hearing from experience people on specific problems always accelerates the learning. Thank you!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 22:01
Probably too much lube as stated.  I usually only neck size, but when I do full length I don't use much at all and stay away from the shoulders.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 09:27
You may also want to clean the inside of the die. Dies come from the factory with a film of oil to prevent rusting. If it is not cleaned before use it could act the same as over lubing a case, and cause dimples. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 09:35
yeah to much lube. I use lucas oil stabilizer. alittle on every 4th case. You get a bunch for very little$ and it last forever. plus you can use it for other stuff also.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kmedsr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kmedsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 11:57
In the interest of closing the loop with all who helped, I did take the die apart and found accumulation of sizing lube which I am sure caused the problem. They die has been cleaned and reassembled. It was an excellent learning exprience. Thanks to all.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 12:01
The Hornady spray lube works well also.  It is much faster at application and I have never had a problem with dimples. 

I like it because I use a progressive and at that rate of loading it is a must to be able to put it on a bunch of cases in a hurry. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 09:35
The Hornady spray lube is good. You don't have to clean it off the case or the die, since it doesn't build up, and it is dry so it doesn't contaminate primers. However, you have to make sure you get good coverage when you spray it on, otherwise you could end up with a stuck case in your sizing die.
I use Dillon's spray lube, but it has to be cleaned off the case, and if you use to much, you can get dimples in the case. A little goes a long way.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 09:38
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

The Hornady spray lube is good. You don't have to clean it off the case or the die, since it doesn't build up, and it is dry so it doesn't contaminate primers. However, you have to make sure you get good coverage when you spray it on, otherwise you could end up with a stuck case in your sizing die.
I use Dillon's spray lube, but it has to be cleaned off the case, and if you use to much, you can get dimples in the case. A little goes a long way.

I had a stuck case with Hornady Spray.  I thought I got it good and covered, but must not have.

Never had any trouble with Unique.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 09:41
I was using lee mixed with alcohol in a spray bottle, now use redding imperial, like it much better
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 18:09
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

but when I do full length I don't use much at all and stay away from the shoulders.

This. Spot on! 

Keep the lube below the shoulder and your problem is resolved. 

Welcome to Optics Talk. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
V98 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote V98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 09:25
Kmedsr, since you already use Lee lubricant, try this . Get a quart size spray bottle, 1 16oz. bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol and 2 tubes of Lee sizing lube. Squeeze both tubes of lube into the spray bottle along with the bottle of alcohol and shake well. Stand up your brass in a reloading tray and spray lightly on each side and once across the top. Let dry completely. You won't believe how much easier your brass will size. Even once fired machinegun .308 sizes like a dream. No dimples, no petroleum oil issues, and cheap. Simple clean up with hot water Big Smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic