OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

sako m995, 30-378

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethirdpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sako m995, 30-378
    Posted: January/06/2012 at 20:48
Rifle will not group. Have tried swift scor. and speer hot cores. Point of impact keeps shifting as if the reticles in the elite 4200 6-24x40 are loose. the rings and bases are Sako opti-lock. The front base is on as tight as a tick. The reare base however does not slide tightly onto the tapered rail. It stops whe the recoil pin hits the rail's recess and is then scured with one screw. I am not confident that this provides enough tension to withstand the masive recoil of this cartridge. Does anyone have any experience(s) with these bases and rings? I may switch scopes to see if the problem persist but would like to hear what others may think or suggest
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2012 at 21:23
Never used those rings or bases but i just went through this with another brand scope and it was the scope.

At this point, if your sure everything (base, rings, stock, etc) is tight and torqued to manafacture specs, etc, try a different scope that you have already.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - January/06/2012 at 21:27
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 08:29
I have 3 Sako rifles wiyh Optiloc Rings & bases and everything should lock up tight unless something is out of spec. .
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:49
I have two Sako's that have utilized the Optilocks without any slippage. I have, however, changed both out to Talley's. They are trimmer and better looking IMO. Sounds to me like a scope problem.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:58
has said rifle ever grouped well with the current bullets you are using??

have you have issues with said scope on other rifles??

if you answered no to both questions, then i would try the talleys as mentioned earlier. if still no luck, i would try a different scope. if that doesnt help, clean your barrel and try again. i would have to see your targets before i jumped to any conclussions. i reload and shoot a fair bit with big capacity cases, so fill me in with the details.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
thethirdpig View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethirdpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 20:55
Thanks for the reply. I purchased the rifle used. It was fired very little. Probably because of the problems I experienced. It is, I am sure a problem in the sighting. I can get 2, maybe three shots to goup 3/4" then the 4th shot will go 3'' left and 1' high as an example. The 5th shot can hit same place as the 4th. A 6th may go back to the original group or maybe start another group somwhere on the target. An example load is 107 grains of H1000 with a Swift 180 grain Scirocco. Each charge is weighed and the bullets are set to the same depth which is out as far as the magazine will allow.
Sako7STW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sako7STW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2012 at 02:25
I would throw a different scope in the rings and try it.  I have a M995 in the 7mmSTW and am shooting the Bausch & Lomb Elite 4000 on it (Pre-Bushnell Elite 4200).  It is either the scope or the rings.  Every Manu puts out something bad here or there. It could be the rings but considering they are some of the best on the market period, I would suspect the scope first.  My STW puts a hurting on me, I cant imagine the 30-378 with out a brake in that same rifle. OUCH for the shooter and the optics! I love my Sako though and you have a real jewel of a gun there!
I will keep my guns, keep hunting, fishing and the outdoors. You can keep the change!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethirdpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 10:00
Thanks for the response. I tried just that, and the 4200 has already been shipped to Bushnell. As for shooting the 30-378 ouch is an understatement. Actually, it is bearable in a hunting application with one or two shots. Don't do what I did first time around when I tried to sight it in. After 12-15 shots I looked like a weight lifter with my swollen shoulder. The bruising cleared up after abouy 3 weeks Lead sled ordered the next day
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 11:16
Lots of resons for what you are experiencing, the top 10 candidates are:
1) Action binding (poor bedding torques the action for terrible inconsistency); repair by glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel.
2) Forend warped and exerting barrel pressure; repair by sanding barrel channel until you can slide a dollar bill down the barrel channel from front to action.
3) Scope rings are sliding on the scope (common with the big recoil of the 30/378); use BLUE Loctite on the rings before you tighten them.
4) Weak base/rings (I'm not familiar with Optilocks but you need SOLID mounts for that rifle); repair by using Warne or Badger Ordinance components.
5) Muzzle crown damaged (any scratch will blow that bullet around like a balloon in a tornado); repair by re-crowning with 11 degree target crown.
6) Barrel foulded (copper fouling jams bullets inconsistently); clean barrel with Barnes CR-10 to remove copper. Shoot a few fouling shots and try again.
7) Bullets (your rifle might not like those two; they are known for hunting terminal performance not accuracy); use custom loaded Berger or Sierra Match Kings in 180-190 range at maximum seating depth for your magazine. The 180g Accubonds are typically accurate in this cartridge too.
8) Shooter flinching - caused by miserable anticipation of the noise and recoil of this beast; repair by having someone else load your chamber without you seeing it. Have them leave the chamber empty randomly so you can see what your muscle movement is when you drop the firing pin on an empty chamber.
9) Rifle rest - if it is not sandbags or bench rest, it isn't a good test for accuracy.
10) Bad barrel - The lands are erroded (it doesn't take long for this smoker); have gunsmith check the lands and rifling with a bore scope. Replace with premium barrel if needed.

A scope problem would rank at about number 11 with this rifle and the Elite 4200 since it is a pretty solid scope. I personally use Leupolds on these beasts and have NEVER had a problem with recoil affecting the scope.

Good luck and please let us know the answer so we can all get smarter.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by thethirdpig thethirdpig wrote:

... As for shooting the 30-378 ouch is an understatement. Actually, it is bearable in a hunting application with one or two shots. Don't do what I did first time around when I tried to sight it in. After 12-15 shots I looked like a weight lifter with my swollen shoulder. The bruising cleared up after abouy 3 weeks Lead sled ordered the next day

Yep, My fave, the .300 RUM has met it's match- (not counting a Warbird- sheesh).

Careful with that leadsled... they can bust stocks on hard kickers.  I added extra padding (several layers of foam- backed tape) where the recoil pad makes contact to give extra deceleration/protection for the big thumpers and don't use any weights and make sure the rig is free to slide on the bench. 
Was talking to a fellow recently who busted his .458 Lott stock in a leadsled... Ruger rpl'd the stock for free.
Played musical scopes on 3 rifles last fall and sighted 'em all during one trip to the range, which would have been painful w/out the sled.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 09:50
One other thing to check. Some of the Sako's need to have the bottom metal shimmed alittle to keep the magazine well from binding in between the bottom metal and the action. I hope this makes sense.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thethirdpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 09:05
Gotcha. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic