OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch 5-20x44SF Opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolf6151 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch 5-20x44SF Opinions?
    Posted: January/06/2012 at 07:41
Anyone have experience with this scope? Pros, Cons, reviews or opinions? I'm thinking of putting it on a Remington 700 VS that I will soon have re-barreled, most likely to .243 that I will use for paper punching 100-300 yds. but occasionally out to 600-1000 yds. and possibly some deer hunting. Opinions on the scope? Thanks.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2012 at 08:40
I have one, and its nice enough. I put thre tall Target turrets on it for the long range stuff. I also have a 4-16x. I prefer my Conquest 4.5-14x44 to both of them. In certain lighting situations the Zeiss handled stray light, and "flare" better, and in the NIKONS, the reticle often turns silvery, or gold. This has never once happened with my Conquest. The Zeiss image seems all around better to my eye, even more so in low light, or looking towards a setting sun. Beyond those couple gripes, they have been good scopes for me, and I bought them from SWFA, at a great price. Had I had the money, I'd have bought Conquests instead.

Edited by trigger29 - January/06/2012 at 08:41

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2012 at 13:42

The one I owned had a tunnel like effect clear in center but much like looking through a key hole,I returned but it came back the same, while it would have been OK for hunting it was poor for target

shooting as it made my eyes very tired after 15-20 rounds. I sold at a loss.
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2012 at 22:12
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

The one I owned had a tunnel like effect clear in center but much like looking through a key hole,I returned but it came back the same, while it would have been OK for hunting it was poor for target

Funny you should mention the "tired eyes"; I have exactly the same sensation looking through my 5-20X Monarch. With all due respect to the ones at SWFA who ranked the new Nikon Monarchs as high as some of the others at that high level: while this scope is fine mechanically, the glass - at least in the higher-power models - leaves a lot to be desired. A Sightron Big Sky, or even a Weaver Grand 
Slam, when compared to the Monarch, will show the Nikon comes up short optically. 
I'm thinking it's about time Nikon sticks to building cameras, and/or stop farming-out their scope operations.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 08:05
Originally posted by lewwetzel lewwetzel wrote:

Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

Funny you should mention the "tired eyes"; I have exactly the same sensation looking through my 5-20X Monarch. With all due respect to the ones at SWFA who ranked the new Nikon Monarchs as high as some of the others at that high level: while this scope is fine mechanically, the glass - at least in the higher-power models - leaves a lot to be desired. A Sightron Big Sky, or even a Weaver Grand 
Slam, when compared to the Monarch, will show the Nikon comes up short optically. 
I'm thinking it's about time Nikon sticks to building cameras, and/or stop farming-out their scope operations.
I've posted this before but I switched to the Mueller 8-32x44 target dot for my target shooting, it's
super clear edge to edge and tired eyes are no longer an issue,while the Monarch was a solid built
scope the glass did not meet my needs.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 10:34
I'm also not a big fan of the glass on the Monarchs. I have 2, and I like the scopes, but the glass does leave a lot to be desired. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/08/2012 at 13:29
I like the Monarchs, but not the scope in question. The 4-16x is good to go, but I like the 2.5-10x best in that line. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic