OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions on Weaver Super Slam Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FClassAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Weaver Super Slam Scopes
    Posted: January/05/2012 at 16:15
This is my first post so G'Day to everyone from Australia anyway here's the story. A mate over in the States just sent me a few Super Slams to have a go of (2-10x42, 3-15x42, 3-15x50 ) anyway I am looking to put one on my new Tikka T3 in 308 (either the 2-10x42 or the 3-15x42). Usually I would recommend the smaller of those 2 but they are pretty much the same size/weight scope (I am favoring the 2-10 as I don't think at the ranges I hunt at I will need the 3-15 but who knows). What would you choose?

The main scopes I aready own Zeiss Conquest, Vortex Viper and Viper PST, Sightron S2 BigSky and S3 and I wanted to know is how people think the Super Slams compare to those brands mentioned above? (I have looked at all of them side by side in different light until I almost was cross eyed and had a huge headache? To me sometimes they look better then the Conquest, PST, S3 then the others look better). So whats you thoughts?
FClassAssassin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FClassAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 16:17
I forgot to mention the Tikka is a Lite model (sporter barrel). Thanks
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 17:18
What do you hunt over there?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FClassAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 18:02
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I am mainly hunting Pigs, Goats and Deer but will also have a go at Foxes, Dingos, Feral Cats ect if they cross my path, max range would be 300 meters (approx 330 yards).
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 20:04
Originally posted by FClassAssassin FClassAssassin wrote:

I am mainly hunting Pigs, Goats and Deer but will also have a go at Foxes, Dingos, Feral Cats ect if they cross my path, max range would be 300 meters (approx 330 yards).

I have been real happy with my Tikka .308 with 14x scope(although some have told me my setup is junk on another threadBig Grin). If there are is a fair amount open space I like the higher power. I you hike a fair amount were you hunt the lighter weight is nice.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FClassAssassin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 20:49

I have been real happy with my Tikka .308 with 14x scope(although some have told me my setup is junk on another threadBig Grin).
I know how good the Tikka's are (this is number 5 for me) it's always some clown thats never held, shot or even probably seen a Tikka that says they are junk (let me guess on this other thread they said a Savage was the go). In Australia here they are probably one of the most common rifles and I have never heard of a problem with a Tikka and everyone that I know of that owns one is very happy with it (IMHO they are the best value for money production rifles on the market). I am slowly upgrading to Sako's (A7's and 85's) but I wanted a new hunting rifle now and didn't want to wait to save for a Sako.  
Txhillbilly View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Txhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 17:25
I have a 3-15x50 Super Slam,and so far I've been very impressed with the quality of the scope.I don't think the glass is as clear as the Sightron SIII-I have 4 of them,but it is better than the SII with my eyes.
I really like the turrets on the Weaver.

As for Tikka's,They're great rifles.I wish I could get Beretta,USA to let me order some LH heavy barreled Tikka's,but they won't do it.So,I just have to be happy with all my Savage's,they shoot pretty good too!
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 17:51
sensitive eyebox, but good glass, and repeatable.
huffmanite View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huffmanite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 00:00
I own  a couple of the Weaver Super Slams.  No doubt very good glass in them.   How does it compare to other scopes you've mentioned?  Well, think I've viewed thru 3 of the other scopes you've listed when I've had my Super Slams at range.  When at range and I see a high dollar brand scope, more often than not, I'll ask permission to view thru it.  Then I'll go back to my scope and try to compare it with mine.  Hardly scientific and etc., but been darn few times when I viewed thru another scope and then my Super Slam and thought I could tell a difference in quality of optics.
kudukid View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudukid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2017 at 10:27
"(I have looked at all of them side by side in different light until I almost was cross eyed and had a huge headache? To me sometimes they look better then the Conquest, PST, S3 then the others look better)."

Something never discussed on any optics forum...your vision system never ceases to focus. That is why apparent sharpness will change while looking through an optic. This means it takes time to compare optics, even side by side. This way you can be fooled since differences between the better optics are very slight and in many cases depend on the emphasis placed on differing optical properties by the designer.
Jesus was with the wild animals
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic