OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Simmons Atec Gone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simmons Atec Gone?
    Posted: January/05/2012 at 11:31
A year or so ago I drank the Simmons kool-aid concerning how good and redesigned the Simmons Master Series Atec 2 X 10, 42mm rifle scope was. I bought one and goofed around until finally mounting it on a 22 target rifle. As I tried to adjust the eye piece the rubber simply stripped off and the turrets adjustments had no clicks and felt like the contained sand. I send it back to Bushnell in Kansas. 

After a few weeks I received a card saying a new scope was on order and yesterday I received a box containing a 2 x 10 Simmons 44 Mag scope. Looking on the Bushnell site, it looks like the Master Series  Atec doesn't exist anymore? In the past the 44 Mag scope was levels cheaper than the Aetec.

Am I correct thinking they replaced their top-of-the line scope with a much cheaper version?

Thanks in advance

Dan 
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 12:12

HEY Dan.  WELCOME to OT.

I bought two MS Pro Hunter scopes when they were first introduced.  Both have been on hard kickers and are doing fine.  That being said Simmons dropped the Q/C ball shortly after and it's been downhill for their redesigned scope since.  Darn shame.

As far as your situation goes,the price of MS Atecs were substantially reduced in a close out sale.  I remember the 2.8-10x44's going for around $90.  If it helps any the 44 Mag scope does seem to be a decent scope for the money.  I've read some good field reports on them.  I'd just use it and mark it up as a lesson learned.  Maybe check in with us before your next optics purchase and we'll MAKE SURE you get the best for the money you spend.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
dan982 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan982 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 12:28
Thank you--Speaking of cheap scopes what do you think of the $99 Crossfire you have on sale? I've built a nice 10-22 with a heavy barrel, tuned bolt & trigger and stock. I need something with adjustable parallax>
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 13:03

I haven't handled one but there are some members here who have them and are quite satisfied.  I will say that Vortex C/S is top of the line.  I've got a Viper that's become one of my all time favorites.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 13:29
Originally posted by dan982 dan982 wrote:

Thank you--Speaking of cheap scopes what do you think of the $99 Crossfire you have on sale? I've built a nice 10-22 with a heavy barrel, tuned bolt & trigger and stock. I need something with adjustable parallax>
I just picked another one of these up, first one didn't turn out so good but this one is holding up well so far.  for the price its a killer deal!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic