OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4.5-14 X 50 VXIII or Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4.5-14 X 50 VXIII or Conquest
    Posted: February/12/2006 at 14:10
I am planning to travel to Virginia to hunt Ground Hog and other varments.  Shots ranging from 50Yards to 350 yards.  Sometimes very low light conditions.  I have read a lot of the posts about different scopes and have decided that I don't really need a 20 - 24 power scope (unless someone has a good argument otherwise).  It seems that the Zeiss Conquest is better in low light conditions than the Leupold VXII.  I am thinking of the Mill Dot Reticle on the Zeiss or the Varmint Reticle on the Leupold.  Any assistance or affirmation will be appreciated.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 01:48
Low light?

Conquest.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 14:36

Yeah, The Conquest.

Fixed 4" eye relief and a laser etched reticle.

Both would be good to go, but the Conquest is "better", IMO.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 15:12
The Conquest is brighter and probably sharper, but the Leupold is good.  I'm the black sheep that likes the locking eyepiece on the VXIII.  Also like the zoom ring better.  Handle them both and see which one you like.
wfolds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 22:25

Conquest is on it's way.  Looked at all the aspects and made my decision based on low light and mill dot reticle.  I just liked the way the Zeiss looked.  If I made a mistake, it won't be the first time.  Thanks for the help!!

Walt

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2006 at 08:00
I don't think you can make a mistake choosing betwwen those two.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:16
I like the Leupolds better and would rather buy an American made product, but Zeiss has made top quality optics for a long time and I'm sure you will be happy with it.  A couple of friends of mine are die hard Zeiss fanatics and they have taken lots of African game with them.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 08:23
Plastic turrets, plastic turret covers, same glass, no sunshade-Conquest
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 10:18

Conquest.  In every way the glass is superior to the VX III

Nothing more needs to be said that hasn't been mentioned above.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 19:00

I don't think it is.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 20:07
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

I don't think it is.

Ok...

Elaborate?  Hey, everybody has opinions.  I'm just curious what criteria you are using.

Thanks!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:48
There are lots of scopes I'd like to own. Conquest even isn't on the list. Leupold is Nikon Monarch Gold is Super Sniper 10XM is, IOR is, Burris Tactical is

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
killertraylor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killertraylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 21:38
I just sold two Leupold VXIII 4.5-14's and bought 3 Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14's. The Zeiss are superior optics, no doubt about it. Unless you are regularly banging your scope on rocks, the plastic turret covers are just as reliable as the aluminum ones on the Leupold and I don't ever use sunshades, so that wasn't a concern. I have a Leupold LPS 3.5-14 that compares very favorably to the Zeiss, probably even a little bit clearer, but for $300 more, and having a 30mm tube, it should be. I love Leupold as a company, but anyone that tells you their VXII or VXIII scope is clearer or brighter than a Zeiss Conquest  is either a Leupold "homer" or has different eyes than I do.
ChrisGarrett View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisGarrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/06/2006 at 16:44

Hello,

I'm not solely a Zeiss fanboy, as I have a nice pair of B&L Elite 4000/4200 scopes that are quite clear and seemingly well put together.  I also have a nice Leupold Vari-X III Standard Police 3.5-10x40 (now the PR scope model) and honestly, the Zeiss glass is superior to the other three in terms of low light eye fatigue, or lack thereof.  It's priced a bit more, but I got the 4.5-14x50 side focus/target turret model with Z Plex and things are just clearer. 

One day, I had both the Zeiss and the B&L 4200 4-16x50 AO at the range and the sun was going down.  That day, I was shooting on the middle powers, 8x for the Conquest just to fiddle vs. dialing all the way up.  Things were fine.  I then switched to the B&L, no slouch in the clarity/$$$ department and I was having to dial up to say 10x to get the same sharpness.  Now to be fair, it had gotten slightly darker, but not by much.  I came to the conclusion that the Conquest just used better glass and I didn't need to push the magnification farther than 8x to see what I wanted to see.  That's the inherent beauty in quality glass, you don't need to go higher up the power scale to see as well.  Things are just sharper and easier on your eye.

Anyhow, better glass probably doesn't get noticed on a bright sunny day, but it sure does when conditions are starting to degrade.

Take care, Chris

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic