OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sorry......dumb ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sorry......dumb ?
    Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:31
To the people who know more about shooting than I do ( That would be everyone). I am still trying to decide on a scope upgrade for my 22-250. My wife and son will use it for deer hunting. I want to use for improving my long range shooting. Thats the dilema. I have been reading posts and trying to learn as much as possible. At this point I am not sure if I can get a good scope that will do both for $300 or less. After reading the Long Range 101 post I thought I could get away with a fixed 10x. Sounded ok for 300-500 Yds. I have a luepold 3-9 on my 300WM but I cant really see detail on targets out past a few hundred yards. A good 10 power might help with that but shooting at a deer 35 yards away might look like just a bunch of hair. Not a good idea. I would like to spend more but my wife would probably make me wash her mothers car for a year .Argue  It makes sense that glass is more important than magnification but is there something that will work for both in that cheap of a price range ? Anyway... I have alot of respect for the knowledge of the people here and someday I hope to do more than ask questions !
Johnny View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 22:33
Get a Burris Full Field II 4 X 14. Look on the Sample List, maybe there is one on it.  Should be asble to get one for around the $300 mark.Excellent
Black Bear Road
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:50
Unless you have small deer I'd rethink this some more.  It does not take a cannon to hunt deer.  The .22 class are right on the edge.  It has been done, but that does not make it a good idea.  Here we have two sizes of deer "park or town" deer and corn & soybean feed.  The park deer are about the size of a dog and would be no problem.  The other deer go over 220 pounds.  I'd suggest moving up to a .243 or .257 or you may have a lot of tracking to do.   
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 19:20
I would 2nd the advice on the burris 4.5x14 as they are very good scopes for the $$ and there are a couple on the sample list. There are also a couple of nikon buckmasters in that power range and or weavers that would fit your budget listed there as well. The burris' will have a lifetime warranty too.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

Unless you have small deer I'd rethink this some more.  It does not take a cannon to hunt deer.  The .22 class are right on the edge.  It has been done, but that does not make it a good idea.  Here we have two sizes of deer "park or town" deer and corn & soybean feed.  The park deer are about the size of a dog and would be no problem.  The other deer go over 220 pounds.  I'd suggest moving up to a .243 or .257 or you may have a lot of tracking to do.   

+1

Eagle
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 20:46
There's alot of good stuff out there but since a couple have mentioned the 4.5x14 FF II Burris, I thought I would mention that I've had good luck with the Burris FF II seres scopes.  My 3x9 FF II Burris has been tougher than nails.
31 bertram
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 07:55
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

+1

Eagle
+2
Jeff
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 10:44

While I somewhat agree however I've seen large deer taken with the 22-250 it's all about shot place, the 22-250 or 243 will both do fine,one shot kills possible with good scope/using a rest. I see no reason to ever take a shot that one is unsure of. Large calibers should never be considered as insurance for poor marksmanship I've seen many deer shot with 30-06 and run long distance.

I also second the Burris would be excellent for this job.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 10:52
IMO the biggest problem with the 22-250 is that most factory rifles has a very slow twist rate, usually 1-14 sometimes 1-12.  So you can only shoot the very light bullets.  If a guy had one with a 1-8 twist he could shoot the 70 grain bullets from Nosler or Barnes and have a decent little deer rifle.  But with the light weight bullets penetration could be an issue.  As well as bullet construction as those light weight bullets are designed to explode on impact as they are to be used on varmints and similar sized game. So they may never get to the vitals, especially if you hit bone.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 14:48

I have to disagree. My dad had a quad-bypass so he can not shoot his 300wby anymore. So he purchased a 204 ruger and proceeded to shot 3 mule deer bucks/does last couple years in western South Dakota. Being on public land they were all around 300 yd shots no tracking to do what so ever. I was amazed on the damage to the internal organs and lack of damage to the meat.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 15:36
Rustic I disagree with you.  I hunt in South Dakota and have witnessed individuals use a varmint round on deer.  All that resulted in was a nasty surface wound and a day wasted chasing a deer.  With the big game rules in SD, you have to get permission to enter private land.  Wounding a deer to have it go over the fence and out of reach is just a waste of an animal.  A person might get lucky a few times, but in the long run it will bite you in the butt.

Staedy Aim, I like my .22-250 but with its 1-14 twist it does not like to stabilize the heavier hunting bullets.  Unless you have a fast enough twist for a proper bullet, I would not use it.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 15:51
I have taken deer with a 22-250 before, and it can do quite well. Bullet placement, and bullet choice are key though. A 50 gr. Barnes, or 60 gr. Partition will get the job done.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 15:56
Agree Trigger.  Using 40 or 45 gr ballistic tips just isn't going to get the deal done.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 16:28
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Rustic I disagree with you.  I hunt in South Dakota and have witnessed individuals use a varmint round on deer.  All that resulted in was a nasty surface wound and a day wasted chasing a deer.  With the big game rules in SD, you have to get permission to enter private land.  Wounding a deer to have it go over the fence and out of reach is just a waste of an animal.  A person might get lucky a few times, but in the long run it will bite you in the butt.

Staedy Aim, I like my .22-250 but with its 1-14 twist it does not like to stabilize the heavier hunting bullets.  Unless you have a fast enough twist for a proper bullet, I would not use it.

It does come down to shot placement may be more so with a smaller caliber but, shot placement is shot placement. A deer shot badly no matter the cartridge will run. To say thin skinned north american herbivores just shouldn't be hunted with 20/22 caliber rifles is ridiculous -- .204 .223 22/250 work just fine around 200/300 yd range.
kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 20:03
My neighbor and his son hunt with a 22-250.  It is not my choice of what I would carry, but the proof is on his wall (South Central Kentucky).  Anyway, check out the new Redfields or Swifts.  They both are priced in your range and seem like pretty good scopes.
Staedy Aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 20:12
I thank you all for your suggestions on scopes. I have never owned a Burris but they are popular.  I guess I knew the whole small caliber hunting thing might heat up. Very old argument. I usually use my 300wm for all my hunting exept for antilope because I can take longer shots with it. My wife and kids arnt gonna shot much past 100-150 yrds. To powderburn,cooper25 and eagle, I respect your opinion but I have to agree with some of the others. A 22-250 will kill a deer just as dead as a elephant gun with proper shot placement. I have a friend that shot a elk with a 25-06 at over 600 yrds. Everyone that was there couldnt believe it. I would not do that myself cause I dont have have the skills. He is in his 60s though and has been hunting since he could hold a gun. I am ethical and would never take a shot that I didnt think I couldnt make with any gun. Thanks again....sorry this went off topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic