OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage 243

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage 243
    Posted: January/02/2012 at 19:31
I just bought a Savage 243 and needing a scope for it. There are so many out there, I was just wondering what kind people would suggest. Since Im from Indiana cant use them to do much besides shoot coyotes really. So if ya'll can give me suggestions I'd appriciate it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 20:39
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

What sort of budget are you working with? Maximum? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
countryboy62385 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:00

Thank you glad I joined this site.

But I would love to stay under $400 if at all possible but I could go as much as $500 if I needed to I have a bushnell on my Mossburgh 835 slug gun and I got a Nikkon on my 22LR. an love them both. I have never owned a high power rifle before so I was wondering whats my best options.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:01
I would look at the offerings from Zeiss Conquest, Minox, and Meopta Meopro.  These seem to be the front runners in the $400 category.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:08

Alright will do never heard of them before. But I know Nikkon just came out with that new scope I saw on Bass Pros web page called the coyote hunter or something.  But as I stated before as of now Indiana we cant use high power rifles hunting any animals besides coyotes other wise itll just be sitting in the gun case. But thanks again for those options.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:28
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 04:11
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I would get this one.
http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

An excellent recommendation. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 08:21
I would go with a Leupold VX III there are some good deals on the Sample List here or you could buy a new one for a little over $400 or go with the Zeiss Conquest.  Both are very good scopes and will last you a long time.  Nikon would be my third choice but is is about as good of a scope as long as you stick to the upper class Nikon scopes.  Good Luck.  I just got a new Browning X-Bolt .243 for Christmas and put a Z3 Swarovski 4x12x50 on it for Varmit/Deer Hunting.  Good luck.
D. Holmes
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:02
So you all dont see the reason of goin with a 50mm scope?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:23
If your top end mag is over 10x I would get a 50mm objective.  If under there really is no need, unless you hunt a lot in low light.  Then the 50mm would make sense.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:41
well when we are out hunting coyotes we do it alot of the time here at night is the reason i was asking...
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:49
The larger objective will allow you to see as well at a higher magnification.  You have coming through the scope a band of light called exit pupil.  In low light you want that band of light to be as large as the pupil in your eye.  A adult human pupil will dilate to around 6mm in low light.  So optimally you would want that band of light to be that big or larger for the best image quality.

To figure it you take the size of the objective divided by the magnification.  So with a 42mm scope objective 7x would give you the 6mm exit pupil.

On a 50mm you could go up to 8x.

All this will only be true all else being equal.  Glass quality and coatings have a huge role to play in this.  A $100 with a 56mm objective will not have near the image quality of a much more expensive scope with good glass and coatings even though it may only have a 40mm objective.

So now you have to ask yourself do I need to be over 7x to see my target.  In low light, most likely not because you will not be able to see that far anyway.  So now you start to look at the others pros and cons.  50mm objective means the scope has to be mounted higher, which makes a good low cheek weld not as likely.  Next a 50mm objective will make the scope heavier, which may or may not matter to you. 

Personally if it were me, I would get the Conquest 3-9x40 with a heavy reticle of some flavor.  Or if you want an illuminated reticle I woudl get a Leupold VX-R.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-R-Riflescopes-C3458.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - January/03/2012 at 16:54
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 16:54
So you think with a ziess 3-9x40 mm i will be good at shooting 300-400 yards?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:04
No, not with any kind of consistency.  Now with your distance needs you would probably want something with a hold over reticle of some sort or adjustable knobs so you can dial in shots.  THis is a little over your budget, but would give you all those things.  http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-R-Patrol-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P49445.aspx

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:15
I could probly swing 600 bucks for that scope if ya think its my best bet with what I plan on doing. Just have to watch my spending for a week or two if i buy that scope.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:20
I bet some of the other guys will post with some other ideas as well.  But I think that Leupold would be a pretty good fit for what you are wanting.  In fact Graham has one for sale here on the forum.  http://www.opticstalk.com/leupold-patrol-39_topic31426.html

For what you are wanting to do, you want good glass quality, a lit reticle and adjustable knobs.  For $500ish you will be best staying with scopes around 9x to 10x.  Once you start wanting high mag scopes the quality of the glass needs to go up in order to make the images good,  and good in low light, so up goes the cost.   

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy62385 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:26
Thank you
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 18:43
http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x50-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48040.aspx  This would have been my choice if I had not went with the Trijicon imo

"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 19:25
If you can swing the $600 range and the country you're operating in is fairly open and you aren't too concerned about weight, you might want to consider the Weaver 3-15X50 tactical.  It has very good glass for the price and will offer quite an advantage at longer distances.

While 6mm exit pupil comparisons are interesting, they don't always tell the whole story.  In many low light conditions (even pretty darn dark) you'll be able to see better at higher magnification even with a smaller exit pupil.  If you crank it up to 12X or so (depending upon the conditions) while the image may get darker you can actually see what you're looking at better than on 6-8X with a brighter but much smaller image.   For this this bigger objective really helps.

In open country and mid-higher powers, the reticle (mildot) stays nice and visible and can be used for holdover, etc on any power so you can save money by forgoing the illumination and mil knob version (for 3X use in thick stuff you definitely want the illumination); though for only $50 more they might be nice.

gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 21:37
Any thick cover or is it all wide ope fields. If you will be in some thicker spots low magnification is just as important as high.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic