OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Base and Ring Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Base and Ring Question
    Posted: January/01/2012 at 21:32
I'm going to get a vortex viper, undecided to the hs or pst but it will have a 50mm objective. I have the TPS base with a 20 MOA and want to get the TPS HRT rings but am wondering if I should get the low or medium rings. I want the low but does anyone know if the low will be too low for the scope?
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 23:43
I doubt low rings would work with a 50mm objective, but it's hard to know without more information.  Whether or not rings will work with any given rifle/scope combo depends on some measurements.  You want to know the external diameter of your objective bell, the height of the rings, the height of your base above the barrel, and if you barrel tapers down where the objective bell will be makes a difference as well.  The following link is to a post on this site that will tell you how to do all that.  Good luck.   http://www.opticstalk.com/how-to-determine-proper-ring-height_topic5946.html
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 05:20
What rifle are we talking about?

I think low rings will work with most rifles, even with the 20 MOA rail.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 12:21
I use the TPS ring system and also own a couple of European 50mm objective scopes.  The distance of base height from low to medium TPS rings is about .200 inch.  My 50mm objective scopes are both mounted with TPS rings and both need medium height rings to give about .200 inches of barrel clearance.  Maybe on an AR frame but not on most bolt actions, would you have sufficient clearance for recoil between the barrel and scope with low TPS rings.
CDR3
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 12:38
I used TPS super low with a 20 MOA base and 50mm objective and had a lot of room.  Wish I could have went lower.  It will partly depend upon the barrel profile your rifle has.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic