OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Northern Arizona Coues hunt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Northern Arizona Coues hunt
    Posted: December/31/2011 at 21:02
I did not get a tag for anything this year, so I must post pictures of my friends en devours. I got to hunt with him a couple of days, but we couldn't get within range of any worth shooting. For those that don't know, Coues are very small white-tail deer. And getting a tag in December during the rut, a very rare treat in northern Arizona.
 Hunting these deer is probably the most optics intense hunting I can think of. They really prefer to hang-out in the open areas, next to really steep canyons. Most days are spent glassing, trying to find the little gray ghosts of the desert.The rut this year started well, with the storms that AZ got in late November through the middle of December. But after Christmas it was pretty well knocked flat because of the really warm weather (temps in the 50's & 60's). 
  We had glassed up a few bucks, a couple of fork horns, and a decent 3-point. But three point was always just out of range...Until this morning! The deer was taken at 350 yards, using a Remington model 600 Mohawk, chambered in 6mm Rem.(This is, by the way, a very handy, little gun, with a 18.5" barrel.)

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 12:16
Really Cool.Thunbs Up
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 22:50
Very nice.How big do those deer get?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 03:31
That is a decent example of a mature Coues. Down in southern Az, and northern Mexico, they get a little bigger simply because the winters are less harsh. Most people agree that a 110" rack is trophy grade. I imagine this one to be about 95".
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 05:29
Nice buck! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:11
Nice one! Not sure I would want to hunt in that much cactus.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

Most people agree that a 110" rack is trophy grade. I imagine this one to be about 95".

Wow that is pretty high standards for a trophy grade buck.  Isn't the Boone and Crockett minimum for typical Coues 110" for the all-time book and 100" for the three year awards?

Great story and pic.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 12:40
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Most people agree that a 110" rack is trophy grade. I imagine this one to be about 95".

Wow that is pretty high standards for a trophy grade buck.  Isn't the Boone and Crockett minimum for typical Coues 110" for the all-time book and 100" for the three year awards?

Great story and pic.
Matt, I really don't know the numbers for the B&C. Honestly I was just using a number that I had heard. I was wanting him to shoot all the little fork-horns running around Bucky...
I have always had trophy aspirations, but I am not out there primarily for the horns. Usually my goals are pretty easily satisfied...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 13:05
Excellent
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 13:40

Matt, I really don't know the numbers for the B&C. Honestly I was just using a number that I had heard. I was wanting him to shoot all the little fork-horns running around Bucky...
I have always had trophy aspirations, but I am not out there primarily for the horns. Usually my goals are pretty easily satisfied...

I just wanted to give your buddy some credit.  The deer in the pic looks like a trophy to this mule deer hunter.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 15:05
If I would had my rifle on Thursday, I probably would have got in ALOT of trouble! I seen an absolute monster mule deer...Just hanging out broadside at about 35-40 yards... He was an easy 180-190 buck!
westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 15:38
Wow great buck. Love those Coues deer.  The 100" mark is the mark most hunter try to break when hunting Coues deer.
azcoueshntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azcoueshntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 16:15
I was kind of thinking that buck would score somewhere around 80" which is still a very nice buck. And like mentioned a 100" buck is a stud and 110" is a giant. Coues is by far the most challenging and addicting animal I have ever hunted. I killed a 360" elk with my bow in November on a late hunt and I would trade him for  a 110" coues anyday of the week.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic