OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I have Leupold VX-6 2-12X42mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:51
is the actual circle of the image bigger or doies the image appear more magnified?
M1 Tracker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1 Tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 11:10
i have adjusted on the 1.5, at a point where is starts to blur, it is still smaller than the naked eye.

308win.
 on the vx6 image appears larger.
Nosler280AI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nosler280AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 12:37

FINALLY!!! Just received a call from Pat at SWFA and she is sending out my VX-6 Illuminated 2-12x42mm. It has been on back order since November! I will be mounting it on a Nosler Model 48 Trophy Grade in 280AI and will report back in a few weeks!

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2012 at 09:02
I have the same rifle
Love it
I ran a Zeiss FL 4-16 with AVS turret this past season
I gotta send it back or buy it

I am testing a VX6 1-6 on my competition AR right now and an very impressed in low light, even compared to my S&B 1.5-6x42

The VX6 2-12 will probably be what I run this next season

Did you get yours dialed in?
What load are you running?
I got 5 boxes of the 140 AB factory load and it shoots literally one he groups
I am about to start working up some handloads to duplicate it

Fantastic rifle and it has been deadly
4 bullets fired, 5 animals recovered this season
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2012 at 23:58
got one it today
compared into the night against a Victory FL 4-16x50
the latter was better glass at 200 yards past sundown as it should be for almost 3x the cost

but, it wasn't 3x better
we all know there is a point of diminishing returns and it is impossible for me to say where that line is for someone else

I would say the Zeiss might get you a few moments more trying to guage a buck as shooter or not at 30 minutes past sundown

So if you HAVE to have the best glass and can and are willing to pay for it, the Zeiss is better
but the Z6 hangs very well and offers a better magnification range, is lighter and cheaper

comes down to money really

nbama40 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbama40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2013 at 20:45
I just purchased a VX6 3-18x50 to replace my Zeiss Victory 3-12x56.  I wanted to drop down from the 56mm objective and add to the power range.  I am willing to accept the Zeiss could be brighter in low light but I am not sure my eyes can see the difference.  For the $1250 OTD price I saved at least $800 bucks versus buying the Zeiss Victory 4-16x50 FL. We will see how the Leupold performs.
DoubleH
nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2013 at 11:21

It looks like a great scope, I think I will save to get one within the next year. I have a question which be better for a hunter, with the change of long range shots the fire dot long range or illuminated Boone &crochet, which one would be best ?Kev
Gillettehunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gillettehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2013 at 12:59
Last post on this was early May. Seems like a great scope option. Any new feedback from anyoneon their new scopes?  Thanks Bruce
Theo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/20/2013 at 14:02
Bruce,

I purchased a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50mm fine duplex #115005 in mid May...Very Nice Scope! I had trouble finding any owner reviews on the net, so I posted "my review" (see below) on about 10 sites for prospective buyers to read.

I discovered the OT forum and decided to join and maybe answer a few questions:

My On-Line-Reviews
[ After receiving a fully Custom .30-06 Rem 700 for Christmas, I've been shopping really nice rifle scope products currently available to compliment my new hunting rifle. I've looked through several high end Schmidt & Bender and other high end scope products, but backed away due to the "price of admission"! I received my rifle with an 8 year old Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 50mm, that although was put through field in-use torture test, still looked new, functioned perfectly and still had great optics. So I continued my research in the Leupold product line of optics.

Now at 59, my eyesight isn't what it use to be. Looking for a longer reach in optics, I discovered the new line of Leupold VX-6 6:1 Zoom 3-18 power scopes! With the latest optical technical developments incorporated into the VX-6 line, along with a wide 6x variable zoom capability, I found the scope to fit my needs well. I delayed my purchase a few months, waiting for some field reviews to appear on the net, but guess it is too new as very few are out there as of my review here. Well, with the satisfaction I previously had with Leupold products, their great industry reputation, the Lifetime Warranty and the Made In The USA label, I made the purchase, literally, sight unseen!

The Leupold #115005 VX-6 3-18 50mm with Fine Duplex Reticle arrived in perfect condition. I choose a professional aluminum rail and mount system from Seekins Precision and bore sighted the scope at 50 yds. With the full 18 power zoom, I can now more accurately setup to 100yd. target. Shooting the re-load ballistics I settled on before, I was able to shoot a 5-round grouping of .242", or 1\4 MOA at 100 yards!! I'll be working up longer range ballistic data to submit to Leupold for my CDS (custom dial system) elevation turret that is a feature of this scope purchase. If I'm going to deer hunt, I want all my kills to be Accurate and Swift!

The 20.4oz scope weight allows me to easily handle my overall rifle assembly. I find the eye relief close to 6"(3 power) and a respectable 4" at full 18 power. Throughout the variable power zoom, the sight image is Very Bright, Clear and Sharp edge to edge. Color renditions are true and accurate as per available light. All control functions (diopter, zoom, turrets) are Tight and Precise. I thought there would be audible clicks to elevation and windage adjustments, but I guess being a hunting scope, they are quiet but positive. The side focus Parallax control works very well and smooth, keeping the reticle plane solid at distance while moving your head around the field of view. During late dusk, towards a large dark silhouetted oak tree with only a dim blue sky background, this Leupold was able to differentiate at 18 power the leaves and branches, details I couldn't see myself! The fine duplex reticle assist in excellent shot placement without being intrusive or detracting in the field of view.

Overall, this isn't an inexpensive scope, but certainly not at the top end optic price points. I feel my research and wait has paid off in a Well Built, High Performance, Competitive Priced Investment that should last me my lifetime in our American Hunting Sport!
]

After my net postings above, I have gone to the range with my re-loads and shot exact dope adjustments out to 600yds (200-300-400-500-600), gave to Leupold and have already received my Custom  CDS elevation dial. During this long range activity, my only 3 - 600yd shots (1st time at over 100yd load work) were..."2" X ring (3" center) and "1" 10 ring (6" center) for an overall 1\2 MOA !!! Seems my new custom rifle shoots as good as it looks! Big Grin  The 3-18 6-power Zoom Range is Great and due to the VX-6 Clarity and Sharpness, even I was surprised at it's valuable assistance in making such long range shot accuracy...Deer will never know what him em'!!

Hope the above info helps!

Thanks,

Ted
Jack of Many Trades-Master of Few!
Renico View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2013 at 16:59
Do the 2-12 have a big FOV at 2x ? No tunnel view?

And is there a floating black dot in the center when illumination is off, or is it just a plain cross?
Sheep View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 17:45
I ordered mine from SWFA on 5/22/13 along with rings.  Both are on back order with no way of telling when they might be shipped.  The scope and rings are in stock and available from competitor and Midway for the same price.  I'm thinking everyone sells for the same price.

I'll give it a while but I'm getting close to the cancel an reorder stage.  I could understand it if they were not available anywhere but they are.  I'm ready to stick it on and shoot.
Sheep
2010 FLHTK
the blur View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the blur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 10:25
This is my VX-6 bash.   The power adjustment ring is tight. Very tight at room temperature.   At 15 degrees outside, in the woods, it is beyond tight. So tight, I have to put the rifle in my lap, and then brace it under my arm to turn the ring.

Called Leupold, they claim other model scopes have this problem, but not the VX-6. They wanted me to return it, and try another one. So I returned the $1000 scope to the big box store, and they don't have any more.   I am on the wait list, while they hold my money.

So I'm waiting for another one.   If the new one is tight, I'm done with Leupold forever.

The tight power ring is a known Leupold problem, that has existed forever.   And I'm not having them take apart a $1000 item to loosen it up to normal.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 10:28
well, I have a Leica on demo that is TIGHT too..
not that uncommon

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 10:29
I have a couple VX-Rs and that is not an issue on those.  That is to bad your 6 is like that, I hope the new one is better.  My Trijicon is another story though.  It is very tight and in the cold nearly impossible to move.  I am going to have to get a cat tail for it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 14:25
You should have sent it to Leupold directly and had it back in 10 days.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic