OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I have Leupold VX-6 2-12X42mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have Leupold VX-6 2-12X42mm
    Posted: December/31/2011 at 16:32

Leupold 2-12x42 VX-6 Illuminated Duplex

I received my Leupold 2-12x42mm VX-6 Illuminated Duplex yesterday. I just had a chance to look at it today and took some pictures. I will be writing a quick review and post some pics. (Hopefully tonight) My wife planned multiple events today and tomorrow. She just doesn’t have the same appreciations for optics as we do. Go figure. 

I will say is the illuminated duplex is not like the picture. The illumination is a small dot (looks to be 1MOA) in the center of the duplex. Also, the power wheel is pretty tight. I do think this is going to be an incredibly versatile hunting scope with the 2-12X and it is nice and light. 

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 16:15
Looking forward to the review...
Nosler280AI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nosler280AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 13:08
I ordered the same scope from SWFA back in November and still waiting!!! If you don't mind me asking... Where did you purchase your scope? I may cancel my order. Thanks
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 14:15
I'm also looking forward to the review and pictures.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 16:40
Originally posted by Nosler280AI Nosler280AI wrote:

I ordered the same scope from SWFA back in November and still waiting!!! If you don't mind me asking... Where did you purchase your scope? I may cancel my order. Thanks

The long wait is on Leupold ... NOT S.W.F.A.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Nosler280AI View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nosler280AI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2012 at 18:41
I am aware of that (not sure why I am even responding to your post) and I wasn't bashing SWFA. I am just curious how/where he got his scope! SWFA has been great to me, but I have no problem cancelling this order if someone else has them in stock and can provide me with a scope!
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 02:44
I received my VX-6 directly from Leupold. I am member of the press and cover several media organizations.  I just wrote a short blog post and a review will follow.  Right now I have some brief information and some nice pictures I have of the scope.  You can check it out at www.lockedandloadedwithcarduccitactical.com   I am at SHOT Show right now and will be going to media day tomorrow.  I wanted to post pictures of the scope earlier but I have been busy getting ready for this trip.  I plan on providing the great people here at Opticstalk with information on all the new optics for 2012.  Anybody have any requests?  Just send me an email or reply to the post and I will find out the information for you.

I'll post some pictures here tomorrow.  My photos are too large to upload and I need to edit them.

Thanks!
Danny
< id="_npwlo" ="applicationpwlo" height="0">
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 19:13
Seriously??? How can you post this and not give a little more detail?

"In comparison to all of my high-end European scopes,  the optical quality of this scope is the best I have ever seen."

Does this mean it is better than a z3, z5, z6??? , a Conquest?  Does this mean it's the best scope that gets "close" to the optical quality your European optics?  What European optics do you have?  Would you buy this over any other hunting scope hands down?

Forgive the rant, but I'm waiting on good info before making a purchase, and I get directed to a teaser.  

At least PM me the answer to this.......Z3 or VX6???
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 19:54
I've got one in my possession also.  The same model he has with a regular duplex reticle.  I haven't gotten to compare it to anything other than my 3.5-10x44 Conquest and my VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS.   I can say the build quality is superb.  The power ring on mine is smooth as butter.  It has 20 MOA of adjustment in 1 turn of the dial.  I love the euro style fast focus also.  This is a very, very sharp glass, great resolution, and great contrast.  It is a little brighter and sharper than the Conquest and VX3, both of which are very good also.  I can't see much difference in the two personally.  The Conquest may be very, very slightly sharper than the VX3 but you have to look real hard to see it.  The VX6 is superior to both, slightly, but noticeably. 
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 20:05
I see that a couple of websites are listing a 3-18x50 (not in stock).  Do they know something that the rest of us don't?  It seems like these are priced fairly well if it approaches the swaro z3.  How long did you have to wait to get yours?  I can't decide which reticle would be best.  I like my milquad, but with the new ballistic turrets on the Leupold, I'm wondering if the plex is just fine?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2012 at 22:04
I found one in stock and only waited about a week.  I personally do not like a cluttered reticle, so I just use the CDS with regular duplex.  It's really simple to just range, dial, and shoot.  There are going to be a couple of more models of the VX6 coming out. 

1. 3-18x44mm, side focus, with choice of fine duplex, illuminated duplex, B&C

2. 3-18x50mm, side focus, choice of fin, illuminated duplex, B&C

3. 6.4-24x52 34mm tube, side focus, choice of fine duplex, illuminated B&C, varmint hunters reticle.

I do not have any other specs such as size, weight, date of arrival, etc.

lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 01:01
SmileyDawg:  You said:
"In comparison to all of my high-end European scopes, the optical quality of this scope is the best I have ever seen." 
Can you please elaborate?   Which "high-end European scopes" do you have?    When I consider high-end I would consider the Swarovski Z6 line, the Zeiss Victory T* FL line, and the Schmidt and Bender.   Are you saying that these Leupold scopes are comperable to those European scopes or do we have a different view of "high-end"?

If these Leupolds can stand with those I mentioned I will be in line to get one.
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 06:56
Originally posted by lightwind lightwind wrote:

SmileyDawg:  You said:
"In comparison to all of my high-end European scopes, the optical quality of this scope is the best I have ever seen." 
Can you please elaborate?   Which "high-end European scopes" do you have?    When I consider high-end I would consider the Swarovski Z6 line, the Zeiss Victory T* FL line, and the Schmidt and Bender.   Are you saying that these Leupold scopes are comperable to those European scopes or do we have a different view of "high-end"?

If these Leupolds can stand with those I mentioned I will be in line to get one.

I agree, if they are that good, then I want to order now for fear of a price increase. If you shop around you can get a 2_12 plex for just over 800 shipped. I really want the 3_18, but it would be tough to believe the launch date. Does swfa price match? Id probably end up paying more at swfa for excellent CS. Good customer service is worth something these days, because its becoming harder to find.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 11:16

Originally posted by SmileyDawg SmileyDawg wrote:

That sounds very promising.  If that is indeed the case, these VX 6 models will be a very good buy. 

How if the eye relief?  Have the improved the variable eye relief at different mags?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 13:50
Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

Does swfa price match? Id probably end up paying more at swfa for excellent CS. Good customer service is worth something these days, because its becoming harder to find.

Yes they do. Here is a link to the details of their 110% Low Price Guarantee.

http://swfa.com/About.aspx#lowprice
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 14:54
Thanks, I submitted my form.  

I called Leupold today to inquire about about the 3-18 series of VX-6.  The earliest would be the end of this year, if 2012 at all.  They are still in development.

He said they were frantically working on the website.  I think they don't put VX-6 info on the site because no one will buy the outgoing VX7, which may hurt vendors.

With the new turret system, I don't think the it's worth it to pay extra for the other reticles.  I will miss the ease of holdover without a mildot style, but I'm sure it is easy to adapt.  I do like the illuminated #4, but again, not sure if it is worth the premium unless hunting at night or in really low light after deer thirty.

I'd still like to here a review from the OP before making a purchase.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 17:07
I am looking forward to JGraiders thoughts on it.  Where he is a hardcore hunter he should be able to give us some good info after he has used it in the field for a while. 

ILya's thoughts on optical quality will be very welcome as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 20:32
Supertool, If I don't get my hands on some 30mm rings very soon, I may send it to you to look over and put through the paces against some of the good stuff you have.  I honestly wouldn't care if you mounted it and shot it to test tracking, etc.  I really don't have any biases, and I'd like to get some experienced guys to evaluate it.  I sent it to a guy already to get his opinion on how it compares to his Diavari, Kahles, Swaro z3, and a couple of Conquests.   I really like the 20MOA in one turn of the CDS dial though.   
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 21:05
Nice, when do you think you will hear his evaluation.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 21:46
He'll have it in his hands Thursday, so hopefully he can give me some feedback this weekend sometime.  I'll keep you posted if you're interested.  I know each guys eyes can be different, but it should prove interesting anyway.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic