OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help choose a scope for my Sako

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help choose a scope for my Sako
    Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:01
I have a couple questions and need help choosing a scope for this Sako L579 in 243 I bought a couple months ago.I am adding a picture of the rifle because I have to deal with scope size to fit behind the iron sights.The sights are soldered on and I will not be removing them.

I mounted a Leupold VX2 4-12x40 I had laying around just to check the clearence.The Leupold is 12.4" long and would just barely fit when I removed the rear blade.It sat low enough with the 2 piece optilocks I had on hand so that the iron sights were in front of the objective yet I couldn't see them through the scope.

I would like to mount as low as possible with conetrol or Leupold mounts.Will I have a problem with seeing the sights in the scope?I don't mind a slight blur in the bottom of the ring but don't want anything top obscure the sight picture.

I am looking at scopes in the 1.5-8 range and 32-36mm and less than 12.4" long.I would also like to keep it as light as possible for this slim trim rifle.

So far I'm looking at
Minox 1.5-8X32- Price looks good.I want good glass but I'm hesitant about reports of a small eye box.I like my Leupold scopes because they don't seem to be too sensitive about eye alignment.

Swarovski 3-9X36 - This is at the limit of my budget and size requirements. I am also concerned about the shorter eye relief.I hear 3" though specs state 3.54".I wish it came in gloss.

Leupold VXR 2-7X33 - It's a good size and weight and the illume would be nice.

Leupold VX3 1.5-6X32 -This was originally my first choice in custom shop gloss with gloss Conetrol rings. I am however very concerned about the iron sights getting in the sight picture and would like some opinions before spending nearly $200 on the Conetrol rings.

Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36 - The little extra magnification might be nice for longer shots but I think the 1.5-6 would be easier to mount properly.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:07
WOW...what a lovely lady! Love me some Sako's!  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:24
I like any of your Leo choices. A clean barrel will show up on 1.5x so I would't worry. The irons on my guns haven't caused me concern when cranked down. Nice Sako!
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:40
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

I like any of your Leo choices. A clean barrel will show up on 1.5x so I would't worry. The irons on my guns haven't caused me concern when cranked down. Nice Sako!

I like the Conetrol rings he mentioned too. They are so clean and look terrific on a Sako. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:49
Those rings look great, especially on RifleDudes's FN with the S&B. The Conetrols were made for that Sako.
Doug
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 14:51
I like the VX-R for this one, but it wouldn't be gloss.
-Matt
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 15:14
Thanks guys.This rifle has the highest polish,deepest looking gloss I've ever seen.I would really like a high polish gloss scope and the gloss Conetrol rings. Won't Leupold do any scope in gloss via the custom shop?

I have a Sako 75 stainless,synthetic for rough weather. This rifle will only see easy stand hunting on fair days but I still want great low light performance as 90% of my shots are in the last half hour of light.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 15:42
That is a gorgeous rifle RH.  Just gorgeous.  I'll bet it's a real shooter too.  Out of that list I'd probably pick the VX3 2.5-8x36.  Have you thought about finding some original Sako rings, the old style?  That's what I recently put on my L61R 7mag and mounted a VX3 3.5-10x40 CDS.  The medium rings allow the scope to mount nice and low.  I can barely make out the sight hood at low powers, but it in no way compromises anything.   Have you checked the serial # to get an idea when it was made? 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 15:59

Visit the Ed Show
R H Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 18:41
JGRaider
From the serial # I think it was made in 1969.The Web site linked from the sako collectors club listed one from October 1969 with a serial number just 2 rifles away. I bought it from the second owner who had never shot it.His friend bought it new when he was stationed in Germany.The guy I bought it from said he didn't think it had ever been shot and it only has very minor storage marks on the wood.It has no scratches or dings but a few spots where the finish is thin just on the wood.The metal is perfect.Here is a shot of the engraved floor plate for you.

I wouldn't mind some vintage mounts but I'm not much of an ebay shopper.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 19:03
Beautiful rifle... congratulations on such a fine find...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 19:30
Good lord,

You should have to show ID to see that rifle.

WOW
-Matt
31 bertram View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 31 bertram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 00:33
Just take a chop saw and cut those sights off and slap a little roofing tar on it.  Then you can get some decent mounts and scope.Big Grin
31 bertram
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 08:39
That is a Deluxe Model and that old classic beauty deserves a top notch scope like the Swarovski Z3. I have a Deluxe Vixen in 223 topped with a Swaro Z6 3-10x50 and it,s super accurate.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 16:18
Nice rifle!  I'd look at the Minox.  I have two and they have a great range for the field of view.  I like their #4 reticle.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic