OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Colt Light rifle threat/mounts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colt Light rifle threat/mounts
    Posted: December/31/2011 at 11:22
I have a Colt light rifle 30-06. I've found some mounts that work, but they are to short for the varmit scope that I have.

I need some taller mounts or I need the thread size so I can match some screws for my existing mounts. I ask for your help. I've searched and searched many of the mount mfg sites. I'm not familiar with a lot of gun terminology so I may be missing something.

This isn't a widely circulated gun, so I don't know if anyone here can help.
Chris Robertson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 11:48
Best help I can give you is contact Melvin Forbes.  His old number was (304) 292-0600.  Try that or perhaps look up New Ultra Light Arms (NULA)... I think it stopped and started business again.   
Almost bought CLR a while back, actually twice, but decided I did not have time to "fix" it.  You should probably look into getting a gunsmith to install a new trigger for you.  There was a recall on these some time back, you should probably check and see if yours is one of the recall models.  I think only between 4000 and 6000 CLRs were made.  LIke many things, if you get a "good one", it is very good, if you get a bad one... lots of gunsmith time...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 11:51
What bases do you have on it now? Are they Weaver or Redfield style. If so, you only need higher rings.
I assume by shorter you mean the rings aren't high enough for the objective bell and/or ocular end to clear on the gun.

Edited by tahqua - December/31/2011 at 11:52
Doug
crobertson View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crobertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 17:44
Exactly i have abou 1/16 gap between the scope and the barrel. I don't know about what i have now. Just a walmart set (sigh). Screws were the wrong thread, but the surface were the correct radius. one shallow and one more concave. I cut new threads but they wered weak.

Thank you for your replies guys. It is greatly appreciated.
Chris Robertson
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 18:02
Talley makes their LW's for those.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 18:10
As an aside, mounts won't be difficult to find cause that CLR is being reintroduced as the Forbes Rifle sometime in the spring. 30/06 and 270 to start.
jimmyjay View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimmyjay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2012 at 20:29
I'm not sure if anyone is still looking but after a lot of looking, I called Talley and they make all the rings and bases for NULA rifles which the Colt Light was before the new. I just received my rings and bases and they fit perfectly!

The numbers you'll need to order are:
252716 for the steel bases and 100005 for the 1" high rings

This is a system so you will need to order both and I'm now able to slide the bolt without hitting the scope or pinching my fingers. the total with shipping was $110 and got to me in 4 days. Talley's number is 1-803-854-5700 and they were real helpful.

Hope this helps someone else!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic