OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Premier Hunter 1st thoughts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maine(r) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier Hunter 1st thoughts
    Posted: December/30/2011 at 12:45
Pulled the trigger on a Premier Hunter Illuminated A7( duplex) primarily based on the Light Tactical review done by ILya Koshkin. 1st impressions...it looks like the SuB Klassic with bigger W/E  and illumination knobs.  I've heard Premier snagged some SuB engineers/optics folks and it looks like these scopes are from the same family tree. Fit and finish are perfect.  It is HEAVY, heaviest scope I have ever owned. Its built like a tank.  Everything mechanical seems to function as it should.  W/E clicks are audible and crisp.  Power ring and diopter adjustments have very heavy tension to move them. Illumination goes from 0-11 (just like the amps in Spinal tap). At setting 11 illumination is barely visible (overcast day).

Reticle is in 1st focal plane.  I would have preferred second focal plane with the illuminated duplex like the Varipoints.  I'll probably never use the scope over 8 or 9x so its not that big of a deal but at 15x the duplex is huge.

Glass looks outstanding. Depth of field is excellent. Cant tell much more from my window at workWink

Its a tank of a scope with bright optics. More to follow.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 20:56
Pictures?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
maine(r) View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maine(r) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 08:32

Played around with it over the weekend.  For me reticle at 3x is too small and too big on the top end for a hunting scope its fine from about 5x-12x.  Illumination works very well...Doesn't over power the view at all.  No tunneling on the low end.

OLI62 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OLI62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 11:02
I bought one two weeks ago and your findings pretty much mirror mine. I got to hunt with mine this weekend and wasn't that put off by the reticle subtension at high power. Agree that that the reticle is way too small at 3x though.
The glass was pretty amazing.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 11:07
I went from the Light Tactical a few months ago, very similar design.

I have the Heritage and it is among my favorite scopes, the LT is optically very similar but with a few less features (and allot less weight.)

I have the Gen2 XR reticle, FFP, and like it at everything but the very bottom.  It is the curse of the FFP reticle: too big on the top or too small on the bottom.  It is the cost of running an FFP.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 13:29
The regular GenII is really the reticle you want for 3-15X.  It works fine on 3X.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 13:36
Perhaps keeping the erector ratio to 4x or even 3x would be better with a FFP.

-Matt
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 13:59
Actually, I wouldn't change the erector, the 3-15 FFP Gen2 XR works fine with the proper expectation and circumstances.  It should be illuminated if you plan to shoot at 3X though.

With the capabilities to change my LT from the Gen 2 XR, I choose not to: that should carry some weight.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:14
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Perhaps keeping the erector ratio to 4x or even 3x would be better with a FFP.

Nah, that would be going backward.  This scope's huge FOV on an actual 3X with no tunneling on the low end along with its long range friendly top end are huge assets.  Quality 3-9's are a dime a dozen; a good 3-15 is much more versatile to me.

Like I said, it's just a matter of picking the right reticle.  While I don't consider the GenII quite as good as, say, the Mil-Quad from the 3-9 SS on 3X, it's certainly very usable.  And if you get the illumination so the little cross in the middle looks like a red dot on 3X in low light conditions, it doesn't get much better than that.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 17:52
I tested the Premier LT with a regular Gen 2 Mil-Dot and thought that the reticle worked very well there (I played both with illuminated and non-illuminated versions).

My only complaint about that scope was that I could not keep it...

ILya
FuddyDudd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuddyDudd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 01:58
umm..where can I find that test Ilya?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 08:17
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic