OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles CL?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles CL?
    Posted: February/11/2006 at 19:14

Ok I just bought a Winchester M70 .30-06 in the great Winchester going out of business sale.  I am going to take said rifle on a hunt in Argentina at the end of April for red stag and Euro boar.  Stag hunting in the day, Boar at night.

I see lots of great reviews on the following scopes and wanted some "field" opinions.  I am considering either of the following, I know they are at different price points in the spectrum.  I currently own a Swaro 3-9x36 AH on a Model 70 .25-06 that I really like.  I also own a Docter Optics 2.5-10 30mm tube scope on a Custom Mauser action .338-06 and an old 2.5-8 Pentax light seeker on a Sako actioned .270.  The pentax is Ok, the Docter is a pretty nice scope.

Bushnell 4200

Kahles CL

Zeiss Conquest

Swaro AH

Leupold LPS

All scopes would be in the 3-9, 2.5-10 range, 40 or 42mm objective lens depending on manufacturer.  So the question is am I better spending the more$$ on the Swaro or Kahles, or pocketing the money for taxidermy fees and going with the Bushell or Zeiss. 

Let me hear your opinions, right now I am partial to the Kahles, but for no other reason than some favorable magazine reviews.

ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2006 at 09:24

Here's my opinion on your situation.  Others here may differ but here is my two cents...

Go with the Kahles CL.  I own one with the 50mm objective & couldn't be happier.  The CL series of scopes are very bright & clear but one big advantage they have over their competition is the large field of view.  Take any of the other scopes you're considering & view an object at, say 75yds, side by side with the CL and you'll see the difference.   Before I decided on the CL I looked through other 50mm scopes such as Swarovski AV, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch, Leupold and Burris Black Diamond.  To my eyes all were very good but the CL got the nod.  In my opinion these scopes more than live up to the hype you've been reading about.  I base that opinion on my first evening hunt with this scope (about 2 weeks ago; last weekend of deer season in Alabama).  I was sitting in a shooting house overlooking a green field with a college friend.  I was hunting with the CL atop a .260 Remington & he carried a .270 Sendero with a 2 yr. old Swarovski PV with a 56mm objective and a 30mm tube.  At about 5:25pm, a deer we thought was a doe walked into the field about 60yds. from our stand.  We both "scoped" the deer as we wanted to make sure that it wasn't a button buck.  Through his scope he judged it to be a doe.  Through the CL I could just barely make out little nubs on the forehead & I called it a buck.  After swapping rifles to try to verify buck or doe, he agreed that he could now see the "button" on top of the deer's head through the CL but neither of us could viewing through the Swarovski.  This may be a one time, isolated occurance but there is no doubt in my mind that one of us would have shot that deer had we not had the Kahles to see the buttons.

As a side note, I posted the exact same question here at least two times when I was trying to get some opinions.  I got maybe 2-3 responses.  These are new to the market & there aren't a lot of first hand opinions on these yet.  Sorry for the long post & I hope this helps a little with your decision.

phoenixdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoenixdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2006 at 15:42
thanks for that assessment, it seems to be fair.  I don't think I will go with a 50mm objective though, more in the line of thinking of 42mm.  Nonetheless, thanks for your reply.  Many have looked at the post, but few have replied.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 07:55
I have never looked through a Leupold LPS, but the Kahles CL is my choice of the above.  The 3-9X42 is really outstanding.
nortac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nortac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2006 at 17:41

Does anyone know what the twilght factor for the 3-9x42 CL??

abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 07:39
You can go to www.kahlesoptik.com for the twightlight factors.
abailey54
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic