OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a better set of eye.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina_N_Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a better set of eye.
    Posted: December/26/2011 at 23:03
Gentlemen, I have to figure out what set of eyes would work for Southern Utah. I can't see paying more than $350 but I would like the best glass I can for these conditions. Its all about the success of the hunt. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 23:19
What distances will you be glassing over?
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 23:29
I hunt northern AZ, and these are the bino I use. Light enough to carry all day, but very bright and crisp. And well with in your price range.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Carolina_N_Utah View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina_N_Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 23:35
It varies with the terrain features out here but I am thinking for animal ID, Im looking at up to a max of 1000 meters
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 00:23
+1 ZenED2

Great glass at a great price.
-Matt
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 10:25
I agree with the ZEN ED 2 reccomendation.

I will also add that the Theron Wapiti AP0-ED is as good.  It stretches your budget a bit, but the Kruger Caldera is pretty awesome for $379.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 23:44
I was actually out hunting today. From where I was sitting I had pretty long views of all sorts of different critters...Positively ID mule deer, coues, pronghorns, elk, and a pair of yotes that got the memo that I had my rifle because they were haulin' and way way way out there...Honestly the 8x binocular I have already mentioned were allowing me not only to find but identify bedded down deer at over 700 yards(verified with a LRF) The coyotes I seen were about 1 mile away(est. off the topo map we had with us). If you have to know absolutely how many tines that deer has at 900 yards? You are probably going to have to walk closer...Especially for under $350
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 10:55
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

...If you have to know absolutely how many tines that deer has at 900 yards? You are probably going to have to walk closer...Especially for under $350
There are certainly good reasons to promote high end binoculars.  I have had the better "high end mid price" up against enough certified "high end-high end" stuff to know that promoting greater centerfield resolution is no longer one of them.  You have the ED 2 so you have to have a pretty good idea of that as well. 

If you really need tine detail past a half mile then you need more x's in the magnification column, like a 15x big eye binocular or spotter,  you don't necessarily need more $'s in the binocular.  A lot of human eyes will run out oif tine detail ability (depending on how fine the detail needs are) with any good binocular at that range with 8x glass of any quality.

I had a good 170 class Mule Deer in the 8x  ED 2 at over 1,000 yards (far as the range finder goes) the other day and it was pretty easy to get enough detail to classify him as that.  I backed up that observation with my spotter FWIW,

Edited by Klamath - December/28/2011 at 10:57
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 11:12
I agree...That's why I just bought a spotter as well!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

There are certainly good reasons to promote high end binoculars.  I have had the better "high end mid price" up against enough certified "high end-high end" stuff to know that promoting greater centerfield resolution is no longer one of them. 

This is a great quote, Steve, and I agree completely. I do appreciate the expanded sweet spot, improved apparent brightness, and deeper DOF of my SLC neus when compared to my Zen ED2s, but when it comes to usefulness in the field, either will do fine.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina_N_Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 23:59
I'm the new guy out West and admit that I don't know a thing about this kind of hunting but if I get close enough, I can finish the deal.  I'm coming from GA, where I call the hunting close quaters combat. I was able to get an over the counter archery elk tag this year and hunted from a spike camp. We carry what we have in and walk a lot but the guy I hunted with didn't do so with much proficiency. This is why I think ID'ing animal and size is so important. I have to figure out if it is worth the time to get to it. Suggestions on bino's ($300) and spotting scopes ($600) would be greatly appreciated. Please spell out abbreviations a little more. My priorities for purchase would be:

Price
Quality
Size/Weight

Again, thanks for taking the time to help out a fellow hunter.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 12:36
http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Zen-ED2-Binoculars-C2703.aspx
For the Binos I think the Zen Ray ED2 are very hard to beat at that price.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 12:38
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carolina_N_Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 22:57
Chris, I've done some research on the Zen Ray ED2s and for the the price they seem like the right set.  Maybe, I can find some place in Utah where I can put my hands on a pair. Thanks for the patience and help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic