OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger Hawkeye Rings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger Hawkeye Rings
    Posted: December/25/2011 at 15:40
This is a question for my dad.  He just bought a Ruger Hawkeye All Weather (in 270...I tried to talk him into a 280) and went to mount a Redfield 3-9x50 and found out the medium rings, that it came with, wouldn't allow enough clearance.  I told him I would look around for a set of high rings for him.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a set of rings?  I'm not sure how much he wants to spend so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2011 at 16:08
I'd just stick with Ruger rings.  You'd just have to buy one ring, I believe.  You can use the taller of the two provided and just buy one high ring.  Can't remember if the front or the back is taller.  I wanted lower rings on my Ruger Hawkeye, and I was able to just buy one.  
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2011 at 16:25
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I'd just stick with Ruger rings.  You'd just have to buy one ring, I believe.  You can use the taller of the two provided and just buy one high ring.  Can't remember if the front or the back is taller.  I wanted lower rings on my Ruger Hawkeye, and I was able to just buy one.  

I didn't do a lot of research before I posted my question, but that's what I'm finding out.  The #5 that was supposed to go on the back (the rifle came with a #4 & #5) will be moved to the front and a #6 will have to be bought and mounted on the back.

I think that's the route I'll go.  Thanks for the help.

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2011 at 16:50
Originally posted by M7025-06 M7025-06 wrote:

Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

I didn't do a lot of research before I posted my question, but that's what I'm finding out.  The #5 that was supposed to go on the back (the rifle came with a #4 & #5) will be moved to the front and a #6 will have to be bought and mounted on the back.

I think that's the route I'll go.  Thanks for the help.

Yep, that's itThunbs Up  The Ruger rings are good.
t2490jh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2490jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2012 at 08:58
I bought a M77 rifle last year. Great rifle.  Only sighted it in at 50 yrd's.  Many three shot groupings were touching each other.  1/2" MOA. 

Make sure you tighten down the rings.  Get a heavy duty screw driver that fits the slot.  I got a 12 inch screw driver and was able to move the rings from a 10:00 to 2:00 o'clock position.  If the rings are not tight enough,  the zero will walk on you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic