OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger 77

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 20:13
I am looking at using either the 260 gr Nosler (probably my #1 choice based on ballistics) and then the Hornady 270gr.  I haven't looked at the 235 Barnes yet, although I am guessing I won't care for the BC on that bullet. Any of these bullets will put a serious hurting on an animal, and you could reach out to 500 yards if needed, even if not likely. I will probably will hunt elk and bear mostly if I go with the 375, but deer as well.  Any of those I would have no problem using a good 6x scope for at 300 yards.  In fact, 6x is probably the most common setting on my scopes for hunting unless while hiking.  If I set up for a shot I can turn it up, but even when I have, I have not needed to. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 20:29
Originally posted by penguin6 penguin6 wrote:

Additionally, I saw you're a satisfied Swaro owner, and I'm considering the jump.  Would you see the 1-6 and the 1.7-10 as good choices?

Well, I don't actually own one.  I tested one and wrote a review for this forum a while ago.  Main reason I don't own one, is up till now, I could not afford one.  The oil field and being single helps out now.  Anyway, the glass is superb on those scopes.  Either one would be a great choice for the gun if you can afford it.  I am personally looking at those, and mainly the 1-6 with the extended eye relief.  I have some great optics, and if I do my build, I will look at putting some of the best on it.  

But there are other affordable scopes that are great deals (maybe better bang for the buck) such as the Minox 1.5-8, which I am considering.  These scopes have been getting good reviews, and for the money, may be the better deal.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 22:09
I'm looking at the Minox as well, based on some earlier recommendations.  Everything I can find looks good so far.  Looking at the reticles on SWFA site, they looked a little light.  Is that just the way they come across?  Are they bold enough to pick up quickly if the light's not great and you're in a hurry?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 23:14
"Primary intended future use will be to help me avoid being eaten in Montana and/or Alaska. Secondary use will be to shoot a pig or two here in Texas and to hunt whatever else is available wherever I end up."

If I want a defensive gun in bear country I would want illumination and the wide field of view that scopes in the  1x to 2.5x give you because you may be at 30 yds before you realize the danger. If Im hunting at  300 yds and past I want minimum of 10x and would prefer either tactical knobs or a balistic reticle to get onto target.  The two needs really dont mix well.  This Accupoint has 4.1 to 3.8 in eye relief so OK there and is 50 mm objective so Ruger rings in 30mm will work and even at 5x you are one more power higher than the standard battle ACOG and one lower than a fixed 6x but you have the ability to dial in correction for trajectory at 500 yds or so  (50 moa of internal adjustment).  Shown with a lense shade on it but you dont have to use that. The post is faster on target than the mil dot and quite precise working off the tip of the triangle.
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR23R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,082.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/27/2011 at 23:22

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 23:18
 This is at 20x and the post itself can have  some optical illusions as the fiber optic mus run up the post. Target house is about 150 yds.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 23:20
  5x with the illumination from fiber optic covered so its off.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 07:16

Yes, I tend to agree with you on the illum, and I'm still looking hard at the Accupoints.  I have a 5-20x50 that used to be on the .308 AR I sold.  I like it, but I'm not sure about putting it on the .375.  The rifle should be in today or tomorrow, and I'll be able to get an idea how it looks and feels, etc.  Here in Texas, I may just put something on it that I can use to shoot pigs and learn the gun, then look at a secondary DG-type scope as well.  I'm still gathering information on scopes and philosophies on DG hunting, and at some point I'll narrow it all down and make a decision.  Another concern I have is the weather in both those places (Montana and Alaska).  The Rainguard on my Bushnells has come in handy on a couple of occasions in Texas, and I can't help but wonder if something like that might make a difference for cold/wet/snowy places.  The Bushnells don't have quite the eye relief that I'd like, and I don't know any other scopes that have a coating like that other than the Zeiss Diavari.  Big jump in price there.  Thoughts?

t2490jh View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t2490jh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 09:03
I bought the same rifle last year but in 30.06.  I put a 3-9x40 Sightron II scope on it.  It was not the Big Sky model.  I couldn't find a local distributor to see the scope prior to ordering it.  I got it at a good price with rebate at the time.  The scope is very nice for the money.  I had some three shot groupings at 50 yards under .5".  Glass clarity was very good along with the internal click adjustments.  There were three items which I felt the Sightron fell short on.  Light transmission, tube durability, and the paint job.   The Sightron is better than a Nikon Buckmasters but not quite as good as a Monarch (I have both). 

I will be replacing the Sightron scope with a Viper Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 in a 30mm tube. I compared this scope to the Nikon Monarch and the Leupold VXR.    I liked it better than the Nikon.  Nikon still has issues on eye relief.  The Leupold VXR is a fantastic scope in all categories but is nearly twice the cost.

As a side note, on the M77 Hawkeye, remember to really tighten the Ruger rings.  Get a heavy duty screw driver with a head that fits the slots.   I thought my rings were tight, but they weren't .  I started to get a walking zero.  When I noticed what I was doing and with the proper screw driver, I moved the ring screws from a 10:00 to 2:00 o'clock position.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2011 at 22:13
Maybe take a look at the 2.5-10 Accupoint.  Still enough to go past 300 if ever needed.  But still have great low end.  

I live and hunt in Montana.  I have had the Bushnell with raingaurd, and that stuff really works, but I personally would be a little nervous putting that short eye relief on a kicker like the 375 Ruger.  I also have a Burris scope with the stormcoat on it that does the same thing as the rainguard.  

As for bears, yes it is nice to have that lower field of view just in case, but only a couple time have I been that close to bears that I would want it.  Once was a nice grizzly while bow hunting.  Don't think he ever saw me.  Anyway, I guess with the hunting I do in Montana, and the areas I have hunted in with bears, even a scope with 3 or 4x on the low end, you would be ok with.  Alaska is a different animal altogether in that area though.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 05:56
Why is Alaska different?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2012 at 18:57
Alaska is different is several ways.  For one, the bear populations in alaska are far more concentrated than in Montana.  The bears there are also far bigger that in Montana.  The vegetation in places is much different than in Montana.  Much denser and harder to see through.  Yes, there are places in Montana that are probably as dense, but Alaska has more of it and different types than Montana.  Alaska has coastal areas and islands that from the pictures remind me of the coastal range in Oregon.  That is some serious dense vegetation and limited visibility that I don't run into in Montana for the most part, at least not in the areas that I am running into grizzlies in.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2012 at 03:05
I decided to go with the Leupold VX-R for now.  Chose the 2-7x33 with Ballistic Firedot reticle, not that I need a BDC for it, but because I like the circle/dot config.  It seems to suit the rifle well, but just barely fit;  the Warne QR rings are almost right up against the eyepiece and objective bell.  The eye relief is just about right.  There's no way to get much more eye relief without having your cheek unnaturally far back on the stock, so I guess a little over 4 inches is the most you can look for.  I don't know if the Swaro EER (4.7 inches IIRC) would have been able to be pushed forward enough to make it work.  I'm curious now about the new Bushnell offerings that are supposed to be out in a few months.  If the 1-6.5 has enough eye relief, it may be just right on the mag, illum, and hydrophobic coating. 

Initial impression of the Firedot is positive.  The low range goes very low and doesn't wash anything out in a dark room.  High is easily visible in bright light.  The control is a little bit of a PITA for me since I'm left-handed, and it seems like it would be easy for the illum to be accidentally turned on, but we'll have to see how it goes in practice.  I would have preferred a knob to turn with a strong detent between off and the first intensity level.  It's kind of slow and awkward to bump this one through different intensity levels.  We'll see how it goes at the range and in the field.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 09:02
I have been down the same road myself (and am still on it more or less)
On my Hawkeye African / 375 Ruger I have an old and faithfull Vari X III 2,5-8x36 with No 4 reticle and  have also tried a  Zeiss Duralyt 2-8x42 with No 6 reticle.

The Leupold has ample eye relief on the lowest mag, but not on max, the way I have to mount it.
I don´t fix to have crawl the stock on high mag... Ouch 
I like the bold reticle thugh!

The Zeiss Duralyt has 3,5" which is good enough and has the same eye relief from low to high mag.
What I don´t like with the Zeiss is the No 6 reticle which is to "fine" for my old eyes, otherwise it is a very good scope.

I have recently purcased a Leica ER 2,5-10x42 at a bargain price which seems to be of very good quality. Eye relief is 4" and should be spot on on my Ruger.
But alas, it has the rather thin No 4 A reticle very much like the Zeiss Dyralyt.

I might try the Nicon Monarc Gold 1,5-6x42 which has a bold No 4 reticle and 4" eye relief.
The low 1,5 is also a pre hunting dense timber for moose where shots on moving animals on short range is the norm..... still undecided though and my budget is rather low at the time Sad
But the Nicon is top on my list right now ....
Seawolf
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 23:42
I'd love to hear how you like the Leica when you get a chance to try it out.
atp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 09:26
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

For things that will eat you --- an illuminated reticle can be a good thing because you often encounter such animals in low light or total darkness.

Wonderful picture with the cougar! It's real, not photoshopped? What's the story behind it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic