OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf67n20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex scope
    Posted: December/23/2011 at 18:12
Hello,
New to this forum...sure alot more friendlyier than other gunsamer.......forum  ppl ! Forum ppl can be brutal on newbee's. So , here's my neck for those who have a sharp hatchet !

This "Vortex" scope add keeps popping up and I have nadda of knowledge on the brand. It advertises a 6x24x50 at a rediculous price of $$.$$. I have a new Savage 93R17 I'm setting up for long range varmit plinking. This scope seems an overkill, but it would magnify a large area & keep me from switching from binocs to scope.
I now have a Bushnell Trophy 4x12x40. I will be maxing the range of the 17 HMR w/Hornady V max rounds at the little darlings. Just wondering if this scope has decent glass to warrant the extra carry.

Found the Mrs. cache so I have to spend fast here before I get caught.

Whacko
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 19:00
Welcome to Optics Talk! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 00:42
Many have been happy with the scope you are speaking of, others not so much.  I had one, decent glass for the price, but it did not hold up well, as said others have had good luck.  From what I have seen here, your best bet for solid advice is to tell the forum your price limit and they will tell you the best scope you can get for the money you are willing to spend.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 07:38
You really are taking a chance with a high mag, feature rich scope for a real low price. Vortex does have one of the best warranties in the business, but it does not do you much good if the scope is always in transit instead of mounted on the rifle. The ones I have seen, have just been in the store, but were pretty good. My only other concern is this is a long, heavy scope...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 09:31
I use a Mueller 8-32x40 with target dot on mY savage 93-17, now it's used only for target shooting
and weight not an issue however the Mueller is super bright and clear edge to edge at slightly over $200 excellent scope.
sf67n20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf67n20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 04:03
OldGuy. 
Thank You Gentlemen for your speedy and painless replies. By-yemity I think I have found a forum with real Men at the helm(no offense to any Ladies who are inputing without gender screaming).
Especially OldGuy...your comments have led me in an abundant reading on 'all' the  Mueller Optics reviews/stories/adds  I can find. I am in a new direction with this Mueller company.  I can only hope the end product is of a value equal to the rave reviews(sincere in appearance). Nothing worse than having to return a supposed 'good deal'. My plans are for eastern Washington varmits with the probability of 99% long shots. And I plan to put the .17 HMR to the tasks.
Thank You again for your time & input. It was absorbed. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 07:02
Welcome we try real hard to keep the OT a friendly place.Howdy

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 09:54
The issue IDed with Vortex is the same with Mueller.  If you get a good one, hard to beat.  However, quality with Mueller has been inconsistent.  They do seem to have a good warranty.  I would go into such a purchase with a little apprehension and a lot of hope... hope is, however, passive.  Not trying to talk you out of Mueller, as stated, they can be really good... just be aware going in that they can be really bad, too.   
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sf67n20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf67n20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 19:21
I will be passively apprehensive , as I always am.  No good to go running down the hall screaming 'the sky is falling' if it's only falling on myself.

There is the overkill desire always in me. I build everything as 'overbuilt' for durability/lastability. Hard to break habits. I would rather have an over powered scope than not be able to see their belly buttons(humor here). But I realize the 93R17 rifle/ammo has definite limitations. I figure the 4x16x50 or 4.5x20(24)x50 would be the utilitarian scope. Close & far realistic hunting. I understand the winds play havoc with this size ammo, so there is no sense in my thinking I will be able, in the field, to do what can be done at the target range. Rarely do we have dead calm days where I will be wandering. And the terrain is broken with small swales &  gullies. No really long, like 300 yd shots, will be available. I am going to have a 6x24(25)x50 along for the ride as a play thing.
I now have a Bushnell Trophy 4x12x40, but I haven't put rings on it. Still brand new in box. Had it not be a gift, I would have choose a x50mm. But I am not above trading or selling it for what i want in a x50mm. My wife's kindness can not be tampered with directly, but since she never turns on my comptr. (afraid she'll loose her virginity), I am not above being covert.
So, unless I become redirected, I will stay this course.

Thanks for your input !
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 19:58
What is your budget?
sf67n20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf67n20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 20:18
Recently found my wife's knitting cache and for a brief moment was illuminated with scope heaven(not meaning to blaspheme real Heaven).  Caught , reformed, am in remission . 
Now back at earth, my realistic bucks range to 300.00...unless I can start the new year right and just double bill everyone from Jan. 1 till ..........
I have the Bushnell fore mentioned so there may be a brighter light than in my recent cell.

What you thinking ?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 20:23
I have had good luck with Weaver 4-16 for $310 for either a fine or regular duplex. And they focus down to 10yds so you can deal with close shots as well.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-4-16x42-Classic-V-Rifle-Scope-P585.aspx
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 21:43
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The issue IDed with Vortex is the same with Mueller.  If you get a good one, hard to beat.  However, quality with Mueller has been inconsistent.  They do seem to have a good warranty.  I would go into such a purchase with a little apprehension and a lot of hope... hope is, however, passive.  Not trying to talk you out of Mueller, as stated, they can be really good... just be aware going in that they can be really bad, too.   

We can only give opinion and personally I give opinion on what I have purchased not what I read,
in past 6 years I've purchased 6 scopes,(1)Redfield(2)Nikon Monarch(4)Mueller, sold both Monarch due to poor glass,retained the Redfield and Mueller's, I have (3) 8-32x40(1)4-14x40 all very clear edge to edge and make excellent target scopes.

Now my point is, yes you can get a bad $250 scope you can also purchase a bad $500 scope
as I did with Monarch's. I have never seen a bad review on the Mueller 4-14x40 APV which is
one of the best 22 scopes I've used.

Now if you state "I would go into any scope purchase below $700 with apprehension" then we could agree.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 21:46
I would state this way...Purchase any scope made in China with trepidation...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 21:47
And yes the Crossfire is made in China, TOO.
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 10:36
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I would state this way...Purchase any scope made in China with trepidation...
While I agree with that I can only give opinion on what I've used, I've had two Nikons IMo that lacked in quality,made in Philippines I believe. Through the years I've owned, Leupold,Redfield
Nikon,Burris, Simmons,Bushnell. In todays global market with outsourcing,using parts from around the world it's pot luck what you get. My recent Mueller scopes have been super clear they fill my needs at a good price, as does my Redfield which is made in the Leupold factory or that is the rumor.Big Grin

Sadly most the products we purchase today are made or connected with China,would l like it otherwise certainly but the challenge for those of us economically challenged,(fixed income) is trying to continue with a sport and ever growing cost.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 12:24
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

We can only give opinion and personally I give opinion on what I have purchased not what I read,
in past 6 years I've purchased 6 scopes,(1)Redfield(2)Nikon Monarch(4)Mueller, sold both Monarch due to poor glass,retained the Redfield and Mueller's, I have (3) 8-32x40(1)4-14x40 all very clear edge to edge and make excellent target scopes.

Now my point is, yes you can get a bad $250 scope you can also purchase a bad $500 scope
as I did with Monarch's. I have never seen a bad review on the Mueller 4-14x40 APV which is
one of the best 22 scopes I've used.

Now if you state "I would go into any scope purchase below $700 with apprehension" then we could agree.Wink

Is there anything in those statements that was unclear???  I'm glad for your successes with Mueller, have enjoyed a couple of them.  However, I find the company much more inconsistent than some others.  I've not seen "poor glass" in a Nikon Monarch.  However, that does not mean you haven't.  Que sera.  I'm not recommending any scope to anyone, just recommending that you do thorough research, to include HANDS ON along with outside reviews, before settling.  I prefer to choose my own "poison" and while I can let others' experiences influence, they will not determine my purchases or usage.  I've, over the years, seen more complaints with Mueller than with Nikon, until recently.  Nikon seems to have flubbed a bit in QA lately.  Certainly does not mean they won't correct it and certainly does not mean they are "finished".  The only ones I've not seen any real MAJOR errors over time with are Zeiss and Swarovski, though they have had some drops, at times.  
I would look very closely before choosing a Mueller over a Nikon...  but, could happen...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
sf67n20 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sf67n20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 12:31
Thank You...I have absorbed all you have said. 

I figure one or two of my choice could turn bad but that's the lessons learned....hence the value of your and others comments. Mueller & Nikon have been my look-see's.  Yesterday I traded my Gamo pellet rifle for a Ruger 10/22, so another scope need has popped up.

Onward & upward

Thank You again !!!!!!!!!!
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 13:02
I would use the search function here as well on OT for any scope you are looking at rather than just what is posted on your post. I think that you will see a trend as far as Mueller scopes and Nikon scopes go. Basically Nikon good and Mueller questionable. But research it for yourself.

For your Ruger 10/22 I would be looking at a Weaver rimfire scope. And there is a rimfire section here as well for more info.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 17:09
I've never owned or even looked through a Mueller so I really can't comment on it, however I don't think he is too far off base with his comment on the Nikon Monarch. I have two of them and while I like the scope overall, the glass quality really isn't all that impressive. I get a lot of chromatic aberration from it. The glass isn't horrible by any means, it's just not what I'd expect for the price. The Burris FFII's I have blow it out of the water glass quality wise.

IMO for $300, I'd look for a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42. That said they are many other good options. Vortex Vipers and Diamondbacks are supposed to be good options. The Monarch isn't a bad option, either, I just don't think it has as good of glass as it should for the price. Overall though they are decent, I just think the FFII is a better buy.

For a .22, and I'm sure I will get bashed for this, but I've had really good luck with Simmons, as well as Center Point. The glass has been better on every Simmons I've had than the Center Point, but both have been reliable and you get more features with the Center Point, so it's kind of a wash. I've also had decent luck with Tasco's as well. Now I know others have had bad luck, and it seems to be kind of like people are saying Mueller is. You either get a good one, or a bad one.

Edited by slowr1der - December/30/2011 at 17:11
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic