OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hunting scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hunting scope
    Posted: December/21/2011 at 21:15
Hello Shooters; I'm new to the forum and need some help. I've been shooting for years and read this forum but have not added my 2 cents worth in. I have not purchased a scope in about 5 years and was shocked at the new prices, on to my story. I was on a hunt this week on a trophy lease with a friend. He missed the shot at the deer of a lifetime twice. We carried his gun to the range only to find out his scope went south. The scope was a 6-24, I won't say the manufacturer, but when I called, they said they operated out of a warehouse and wouldn't tell me where. I think his 300 wby. shook the internals loose in the scope. I'm looking for at least a 16 power magnification and preferably 20-24 on the high end for the extreme distances on this club. All info and input will be appreciated. thanks.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 21:17
Welcome to the OT!

What is the budget?

What are "extreme distances" in your case?
-Matt
BRH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 21:39
I looked at several bucks from 275 to 600 yards. The powerline poles are 180 yds apart and I could see 6 poles down with my binoculars. Most of my shots in east texas are under 200 but I have a 300 yd. range in my field. Another reason for the high magnification is to judge the deer before firing. I also forgot to mention he's looking to spend $500.00. Deer are regularly shot at 400 yards over there and most of the guys shoot something in the 300 class. I felt my little 7-08 needed training wheels.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 22:08
Well, my first suggestion is to take some pride in your 7-08.  That is one of my favorite rounds.
Second, I would recommend you lower the max magnification substantially.

I regularly shoot to 600 yards and beyond, and 10x-12x is more than enough for me.  In fact, my 7-08 wears a 2-7X32, and I find it has plenty of magnification ringing steel at 500 yards.  I also killed my buck this year at 335 yards with that little 7x scope, and had a pretty good view of the target.

I find a spotter much more usefull for trophy evaluation myself, but if glassing with a riflescope is a must, 10x should give a pretty good look at antlers, even at 600 yards.  It would be like looking at a buck at 60 yards with the naked eye.

With a budget around $500, most scopes above 14x are going to have some pretty poor optical performance. 

This would be a great match, IMO:

-Matt
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 08:11
This would probably be the best option for around $500.00

http://swfa.com/Minox-3-15x42-ZA5-Riflescope-P46138.aspx

This would be my second choice

http://swfa.com/Nikon-4-16x42-Monarch-Riflescope-P42332.aspx

And if you really feel you need more mag.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10822.aspx

The Viper is a good scope but for deer I just can't see 20X. 15-16 at the  most even out to 600 yds. I've shot plenty of Antelope (Including small yearlings) at well over 300yds with just a 3-9 scope.

Or in lieu of judging deer with your rifle this combo would serve you well. The spotting scope, while not Swaro quality is not bad and the 4.5-14 FFII is considered by many to be the best of the FFII scopes. I am assuming that since it is a lease/club you are primarily hunting out of stands. If that is the case this would be a great option.

http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-Fullfield-II-Rifle-Scope-P196.aspx

In any case any of these would be a big step up from something that came from an unknown "warehouse". 

My bet is you shoot better groups with your 7-08 than any of the guys with the bigger guns.

Edited by biggreen747 - December/22/2011 at 08:21
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 10:58
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Well, my first suggestion is to take some pride in your 7-08.  That is one of my favorite rounds.

I regularly shoot to 600 yards and beyond, and 10x-12x is more than enough for me.  In fact, my 7-08 wears a 2-7X32, and I find it has plenty of magnification ringing steel at 500 yards.  I also killed my buck this year at 335 yards with that little 7x scope, and had a pretty good view of the target.

I find a spotter much more usefull for trophy evaluation myself, but if glassing with a riflescope is a must, 10x should give a pretty good look at antlers, even at 600 yards.  It would be like looking at a buck at 60 yards with the naked eye.

With a budget around $500, most scopes above 14x are going to have some pretty poor optical performance. 

Well said/done Bitterroot.  I couldn't agree more.  I'm always amazed at the mindset of the hunter who "needs" these 20-30x "deer hunting" scopes.
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 11:39
I have 30X on the top end but in the rare times I take it hunting it is usually set at 10.
Hell when I shoot targets at 30 I see my heart beat in scope movement.
All my other scopes are a top end of ten and they are all more than adequate for hunting.
That said, if you feel like you want higher, go for it.   I would throw a bushnell elite in the mix with the others mentioned. 
I would also say that 7m08 will get the job done.  Without your shoulder taking a beating.

Jeff
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 12:04
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Blasphemer... where are the hoards of self-righteous proclaiming your evil????
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BRH View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 14:13

Thanks for the info. I have to agree with most of you, I can't see the reasoning for the higher power, but the scope is not for me. I just needed some feedback for my friend. My heart thumps in the lens of a 24 power scope while looking through it. Also for my 7-08, that's my backup gun. I shot my buck with a .243 with a 2.5-10- 4200 bushnell. In my friends defense, it is pretty hard to look at a marginal set of horns in low light on 10 power, hence a good set of binos, which I also own. I'm going to try to talk him into a 4-16 and see if that flies. thanks for the input. Has anyone bought a scope off the sample list? Just curious what the difference in an A and B demo and the shape of the scopes. I'm looking for a couple myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 14:36
Originally posted by BRH BRH wrote:

I just needed some feedback for my friend.

My feedback was for your friend.  If he is dead set on high magnification, the Vortex Viper biggreen747 referenced above is a pretty nice scope.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 14:48
Originally posted by BRH BRH wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have to agree with most of you, I can't see the reasoning for the higher power, but the scope is not for me. I just needed some feedback for my friend. My heart thumps in the lens of a 24 power scope while looking through it. Also for my 7-08, that's my backup gun. I shot my buck with a .243 with a 2.5-10- 4200 bushnell. In my friends defense, it is pretty hard to look at a marginal set of horns in low light on 10 power, hence a good set of binos, which I also own. I'm going to try to talk him into a 4-16 and see if that flies. thanks for the input. Has anyone bought a scope off the sample list? Just curious what the difference in an A and B demo and the shape of the scopes. I'm looking for a couple myself.

The demo rating done by SWFA is very conservative, they want you to be surprised when you get the product. I've bougth several items from the SL and never once has anything look "used"  There was one that had faint marks from usage but only cosmeticly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic