OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-III or MONARCH or CONQUEST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-III or MONARCH or CONQUEST
    Posted: February/10/2006 at 20:13

I have just purchased a Ruger M77 Compact .308.  Looking to put a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10 X 50 $549.95 or Nikon Monarch 3.5-10x50 $439.95 or Zeiss Conquest

3-9x50 $499.95. All are close in price, but how about durabilty vs light transmission. Which would you choose and why?

Landshark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 20:51

upcreek2,

I just posted looking for scope for my 300 win mag.  Have you considered the Burris Black Diamond or the Bushnell Elite 4200?  I'm hoping someone can give me some real field experience feed back.  Just thought I'd try to muddy the picture a little for you. just kidding.  Really the 4200 and Black Diamond are also good looking scopes.  Good Luck, I will be watching for replies to your post as well as mine.

Regards and God Bless ... Mark
Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 21:22

Upcreek2:  All three are good scopes, so really you can't go wrong with any of them.  I noticed that  the scopes you listed are 50MM objectives.  Do you feel that you need a 50mm? The reason that I ask, is for a bench gun 50mm are nice but generally the scopes weigh a bit more and oz can become lbs when out hunting.  Generally, I personally like smaller objectives when out hunting.

All three scopes you mentioned as well as the ones Landshark brought up offer great optics that have very good low light capabilites that will allow you to hunt well past shooting hours.

Personally, I like the Zeiss and then a very close second between the Burris and the Bushnell 4200 Elite. Burris is known for making great scopes but don't toss out the Bushnell I was very skeptical when I first saw one until I looked through it and was beyond impressed.  I compared it side by side to my Zeiss Conquest and its slitting hairs with a slight edge going to the Zeiss in very very low light.

Just to throw some others to look at that are very nice scopes check out the Weaver GrandSlam series as well as Pentax.

Happy shooting

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 21:42
In addition I would like to ask if looking thur the scopes in store light might make the optics look better than they really are? Can this be decieving? I am really looking for long term durabilty when I choose this scope, but I want got low light abilty. I want to stay in the 400 to 600 dollar range.  Married with 1 daughter 1yrs old, only one working.
Landshark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 22:06

Acenturian,

Point taken on the 50mm weighing more, about 3 oz higher, but it will allow more light especially at higher power.  I was initially looking at the 44mm on the Zeiss, thinking I might get by with medium rings, but found out that I will need high rings for either 44 or 50 mm scopes.

Upcreek2,

I did have the chance to look through a 4.5 - 14 - 50mm conquest today outside.  I was looking into a dart repair garage at about 100 yards.  It was very overcast here in San Antonio, TX today.  With naked eye, I couldn't see into the garage, but through the scope, I could see a roll-around tool box well enogh to make out the wheels and drawers.  I just didn't have any of the others to compare with.

upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2006 at 22:45
I have a 50mm mount on a winchester M70  7mm win on med rings with clearance and the scope has bc flip-up caps.
ceylonc View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceylonc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2006 at 08:56

Here's my $.02 for what it's worth ...

My rankings of the scopes you mentioned:

1) Zeiss Conquest; great glass; many on this site rave about this line from Zeiss;

2) Burris Black Diamond; a VERY close second to the Zeiss, very bright & clear glass, forever warranty;

3) TIE between Bushnell Elite 4200 & Nikon Monarch;  Both are great buys for the money & reliable;

4) Leupold; nice scopes w/devoted following but not really a great value when compared to the other scopes mentioned; IMHO the "worst" glass with regard to brightness & clarity (still good, just not as good as the others mentioned) of the group.

Some other thoughts:

--almost ALL scopes look bright & clear under the flourescent lighting at a store; have a store rep walk outside with you to compare the scopes;

--Pentax is made by Burris. 

--many on this site prefer objective bells under 50mm.  I am not bothered by the increased weight of a 50mm scope (I don't hunt mountains where an extra 1lb. makes a difference) so I'd encourage you to stick with a 50mm objective. I feel it does give a couple more minutes of hunting time when compared to, say, an identical scope with a 42mm objective.

--SWFA has a "110% Lowest Price Guarantee" & their service is very good.  Find the scope that you want to buy & then give them a call.

Best of luck ot you!  Congrats on the 1 yr. old.  I have a boy who will be 2 in June & he is already a handful!

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2006 at 11:36
If cost was a big factor, I would go with the 4200 w/40mm objective. The Zeiss is a great scope also and over the long haul of hunting would be a very good choice.
fourinone View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourinone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2006 at 21:29

Hi: You should consider the Elite 4200 in their 2.5-10x50mm. The 2.5 power has a good bit more field of view when needed. I think they have 30mm tubes, at least the one with the illuminated dot does and maybe the non-illuminated too?? It would be worth checking out and the price will be in budget with money left over to go toward good mounts.

I checked them out and only the illuminated dot version have the 30mm tubes, but so do some of the ones you are considering. The prices look to be just a little over $400.00 for these.

Edited by fourinone
Can you see me now...
leftyjb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftyjb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2006 at 21:08

I thought I'd offer my opinion. I own or have owned Nikons, Leupolds, Bushnells, Burris and Simmons. I don't have any experience with Zeiss but am considering a Zeiss Conquest as my next scope purchase. The Nikon Monarch has very good optics. I had a problem with mine as it would not hold it's zero. I sent it back to Nikon and they repaired it no charge. I think that the Bushnell Elite series probably gives you more bang for your buck than any scope that I've run across. I have a 3200 Elite and a Leupold VX II, both 4x12's mounted on my .22 rimfires. The 3200 is better optically than the VX II and costs less. I don't own a Leupold VXIII but have a VARI X III which is the previous model. It's just a hair better in low light than the Monarch.

You're not going to get hurt if you buy the Leupold VX III. Leupold's have a well earned reputation for reliability. I've never had any problems with mine. The last scope that I purchased was a Burris Signature Select 3x10. This scope is a bit heavier (17 oz.)than my VARI X III but it has better resolution and better in low light than the VARI X III. I never buy anything for hunting that has an objective larger than 40mm. If you buy a quality scope with good glass and  good multicoating on all the lenses 40mm will get it done for you.

Based on my experience with the Elite 3200 I would recommend the Elite 4200 being that it's the flagship model and what I've heard about it. If 17 oz isn't too heavy for you the Burris Signature Elite has optics that will impress you. As stated previously buying the Leupold wouldn't be a mistake but I think you can get a little more for your money with the Bushnell Elite and the Burris Signature Select.

Gun Control Is Hitting What You Aim At.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 15:05

You are arleady in the $500 range so here are my suggestions #1 (and if you wanted to spend more I'd go 50mm and varmit reticle but definately the 30mm tube for 100 MOA adjustment )

LEU55120 Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope Leupold 4.5-14x40 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Side Focus
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $599.95

6619 Nikon 2.5-10x50 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope Nikon 2.5-10x50 Monarch Gold 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $699.95

This may not be what you wanted to hear but if you can spend a little more you will be glad you did, I really like the 4.5-14 power range and the 30mm tube Monarch Gold scopes are awesome lots of light gathering and great optics.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Landshark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 19:06

Just thought I'd pass on that I finally decided on my scope.  I went with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x - 14x - 50mm.  I looked through it outside on an overcast day and was looking into a dark garage that I couldn't see into with my unaided eyes.  I looked through the scope and could see a roll-a-round tool chest and could see the drawers, wheels and all the details plus other items in the garage.  That coupled with the lifetime transferable warranty sold me on the Zeiss.  I seriously thought about the Bushnell Elite 4200, but their 1 year no questions asked warranty did not meet my desires.  I hope to get out to the range next Sunday to sight it in and fire a few rounds through my new 300 win mag.  Will let you know the results. LandShark

upcreek2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote upcreek2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2006 at 19:54

Thought that I would let everyone know that I went with the Zeiss 3-9x50 conquest.

I really like the scope!

Landshark View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landshark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2006 at 22:56

Upcreek2,

I think you made a great choice.  Let me know how you like it after you have mounted it and shot w/ it.  Take care and have a great day and even better tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic