OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need scope suggestions for .270 rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need scope suggestions for .270 rifle
    Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:01
Looking for a scope for my Winchester Model 70 Sporter .270 rifle.  I will be hunting deer, shots up to 300 yards.  Suggestions would be greately appreciated. 
sbhall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:03

I'm looking to spend around $200.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:11
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:17
4200 or Elite 3-9x40 is a great hunting scope and the raingaurd is a plus.

Eagle
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:28
Burris FFII E1 3-9 would be my choice. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 20:45
Many will suggest a 3-9X40 Bushnell Elite 4200 in this price range, since they can be found under $200, but Bushnell's customer service isn't always the best.

I think this would be a great match for you:

Samplelist Demo A condition is like-new.  Minox makes a quality scope.
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 21:50
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95
Zero this at 200 and check to see if the dot below center isnt 300 and the one below that 400 and the heavy part of the post 500 should be pretty close.  This is a really bright scope good for low light.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 03:32
I have both the bushnell 4200 and the burris FFII, I would be happy with either, but would lean towards the bushnell if I could only have one, both can be found for under your limit and SWFA price matches. 
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 03:40
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Many will suggest a 3-9X40 Bushnell Elite 4200 in this price range, since they can be found under $200, but Bushnell's customer service isn't always the best.

I think this would be a great match for you:

Samplelist Demo A condition is like-new.  Minox makes a quality scope.

I would be another to vote Bushnell elite 4200.  I can't vouch for Bushnell customer service because (knock on wood) none of my bushnell elites have needed to go back to the factory.   But for the price I don't think they can be beaten for the overall value.

I've never owned a Minox scope, but would trust Bitterroot if he says its a good scope.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 07:11
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
sbhall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbhall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 15:59
Thanks for all the suggestions.  Now I can compare those and choose the one I want.
stangfish View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stangfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 12:59
I have nothing but the best service from Bushnell but consider pentax to be the best. Nikon was the worst ever.  Never take a cheap scope on a rough four wheeler ride! I also say go with the 4200 bushnell.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 00:58
Many of my hunting friends shoot .270's and use scopes from 4X, 6x, 2-7X, 3-9X(probably the most common and useful) 10X and 6.5-20X. Whatever you buy go for quality over magnification power and good service. Possibly you might consider a used smaller size because they cost less and are easier to lug around and then check out what kind of service is available. I have had excellent service from Leupold and they make a large variety of scopes and I hear that Vortex has great service.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 08:54
I would probably go with a regular 3-9x40 and there are several good suggestions listed above. Should be all you need for all around hunting on a 270.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 09:31
Originally posted by stangfish stangfish wrote:

I have nothing but the best service from Bushnell but consider pentax to be the best. Nikon was the worst ever.  Never take a cheap scope on a rough four wheeler ride! I also say go with the 4200 bushnell.

stangfish,

I would like to hear your specific experience with Bushnell's customer service (when, what product, the time it took, etc.).  I sure hope their CS has improved, as they have some interesting products coming out I would be interested in.

IMO, the Pentax "Worry Free" warranty is a good one, but doesn't really compare to the Leupold and Vortex warranties due to Pentax' flat $20.00 fee for warranty service.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic