OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rifle Scope Warranties

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rifle Scope Warranties
    Posted: December/18/2011 at 16:40
Which scope manufacturer has the best warranty? Leupold, Nikon, Sightron, etc...
Which warranty covers indentations in the scope shaft from scope mounts?
Which covers damaged glass caused by the owner?
If I dropped my rifle and messed the scope up, who would replace it?

Obviously, most companies can't cover the purchaser's stupidity all of the time. What are your experiences with warranties? It is my perception that Leupold may have the best warranty. Which companies have gone above and beyond to ensure you are a repeat customer?

I ask because I just had a bad experience with Sightron. I bought a Big Sky second hand that only had mounting marks according to the previous owner. When I got the scope there were indentations from scope mounts. I called Sightron to ask about their warranty and if they would replace the scope because the scope shaft was weak enough for the mounts to make an indented impression. They said they see this all of the time because some people use cheap scope mounts and over tighten the mounts. In all of my years I have never seen this. So who has the best warranty?

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 17:01

Hands down - Vortex.

VIP, no questions asked, lifetime, any fault, transferable, etc.

After I typed above, thought I'd just quote Vortex:

Our warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.

The VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customers. We will repair or replace your Vortex product for any reason at NO CHARGE TO YOU. It doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all riflescopes, binoculars, spotting scopes and monoculars.

• Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
  • Fully transferable
  • No warranty card to fill out
  • No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.

Note
Theft or loss of product is not covered.
Red dot scopes are covered by our Limited Lifetime Warranty.
Tripods are covered by our 3-Year Limited Warranty

opticalillusion View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opticalillusion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 17:07
Wow. Didn't know that about Vortex. What about Vortex optics?
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 17:09
Not sure what you mean.  That is them (Vortex Optics)
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 17:36
Low end vortex ive heard of them breaking a lot but you always see below the bad review that customer service was top notch and replaced it... High end and mid end Vortex ive heard nothing but great things about!!! Great products.. Get what you pay for but with Vortex you always get a top notch warranty!!! Hope this helped ya
Old Mil ftw
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 20:19
The problem with your Sightron isn't that the scope tube is to weak its that the mounts were torqued excessively. This happens quite often, especially if the rings are not in good alignment and they are tightened until somebody cant tighten them any more.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 07:45
SWFA SS's have a warranty that is equal to Vortex.Wink
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 10:06
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

The problem with your Sightron isn't that the scope tube is to weak its that the mounts were torqued excessively. This happens quite often, especially if the rings are not in good alignment and they are tightened until somebody cant tighten them any more.

I agree 100%.  I don't know if even Vortex would replace the scope for free under those circumstances.  I do think they would do something to take care of you, though.
-Matt
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 15:39
I have had extremely good service with Leupold - for example I returned a 25 yo 12X40 M8 for installation of target adjustments; the scope was returned in 2 weeks with the target adjustments installed, cleaned, inspected, and then Leupold installed a new objective lens that had improved coatings. The charge was less than $130. Nothing was broken I just wanted target adjustments installed.

I returned a 6X Burris fullfield because the reticle broke from .330-06 (225 gr bullets) recoil. Burris took about 1 month to repair the scope and it was returned to me with the loose elevation adjustment - when the elevation was backed off you could easily unscrew the entire elevation adjustment from the scope. I fixed this with a tiny amount of loctite.

I returned a Burris 6X Signature because the scope was actually a 4X but was identified as a 6X. Burris fixed this in about a month.

I returned a Burris 2-10X44 Signature for installation of target adjustments to Burris. As best as I can remember the charges were $120 and the time was 1 month.

I returned a set of Burris signature 1 inch rings because the rear ring did not have the small circular grooves machined on it allowing it to be clamped by the base windage screws. That also took about 1 month. The Burris signature rings with the nylon inserts have to be the best ever and they work real good with my Leupold and Zeiss scopes. Using the right combo I can get on target @ 1000 yds.

I have a Vortex 4-12X40 Viper that I like - despite the tunnel effect the optics and mechanics are great and I can mount it on every rifle that I own. Vortex claims and many others agree that Vortex has the best warranty there is. Could we hear about actual experiences with details about Vortex service? Will Vortex perform modifications to their products? How long is the turn around?

Any and every mechanical device is subject to failure including rifle scopes that sometimes can have a tough life.

robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 17:42
Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

Could we hear about actual experiences with details about Vortex service? ........How long is the turn around?

I own (2) Vortex Diamondback 7x36 Binos, (1) 8x25 monocular, (1) 8x36 monocular, (2) Viper 2x7x32, and (1) Crossfire 8x42 Bino.

The only one needing service is the Crossfire - not because it is low end.  My son unscrewed the eyecup and cross threaded it trying to put it back on.  It was hopelessly stuck.
I explained what happened and they said send it in.
Had it back in about 2 weeks (no more than 3.) and good as new.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 17:51
I had a Vortex Red dot.  It had some problems.  I called Vortex and the guy gave me some pointers on the phone.  Those did not work out, so I called back and he send ship it back to me and we will get you taken care of.  A week or so later I had a new red dot in my hands.  Just like that.  They even shipped the new one before they received my old one.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 20:56
Vortex service sounds first rate - I am well on my way to buying another one.

Thanks!
jerkin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 00:23
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Could you post a link to their warranty?  I have been looking but can't find anything.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 10:49
This is how you keep from tighening down the rings too much you use the correct tool or pay a gunsmith who has one.  If they guy lied to you about the condition of the scope you need to get your money back from him.
Many of the scope manufacturers will attempt to make things right when it is reasonably possible that its their fault. For someone to beat the hell out of something and expect the manufacturer to cover it is really quite unreasonable.  Wouldn't you like to own a car where the manufacturer was responsible for everyting that happens to it forever so that you can be totally irresponsible --- Smoking Bandit 

Borka Tools MG5 Multi Torque Driver Kit Borka Tools MG5 Multi Torque Driver Kit
Stock # - BORMG5

MG5 driver kit, includes MTD-15x72-12FS-MG driver, TAB GEAR pouch and extra Sniper RifleAccessories:

• A. 2" long bit holder (Autolock extension or secondary driver spindle)
  • B. 1/4" hex (male) drive to 1/4" square (male) drive adapter
  • C. 1/4" square (female) drive to 3/8" square (male) drive adapter
  • D. Compact 1/4" hex ratchet wrench
  • E. 1/2" hex socket with 1/4" square drive
  • F. 3 1/2" long custom 3/16" hex bit for AICS action screws
  • G. Hex: 3/32", 7/64", 9/64", 5/32", 3/16", 3 mm, 5 mm
  • H. Total of 18 bits (1/4" hex, S2 steel) in 2 compact bit organizers:
    • Torx: T-10, T-15, T-20, T25, T-30
    • Slotted: 4.5 mm, 7 mm
    • Phillips: #1, #2
    • Pozi: #1, #2

$129.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/20/2011 at 10:50

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 10:51
Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/20/2011 at 10:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
robbie View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 11:00
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench Warne 25in/lb T-15 Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$21.95 
Fixed setting at 25 inlbs.  Only works if that happens to be the exact touque required for that particular application.
Fredfrankbob View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fredfrankbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 03:47
I am one who has dealt with Vortex and their warranty, let's just say if it was not for the customer service, I would never buy a product from them again, then I spoke with them in person and though they are not my first choice in optics I do have a lot of respect for a company that gives a VIP warranty on every level of scope.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 06:31
Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

Could we hear about actual experiences with details about Vortex service? Will Vortex perform modifications to their products? How long is the turn around?

I haven't had any actual issues with my Vortex products, but I did use their CS.

I lost the rainguard to my Razor bins the first time I used them.  I called CS, told them I was a klutz, and asked if I could purchase a replacement.  They asked for my address, and said they would send me a new one for free.  I thanked them and told them I wasn't worried about when it got here, as I was leaving for a multi-day hunt in a couple days, and I would look for them when I returned.  They 2 day express shipped the rainguard to me, and I had it on my hunt.
-Matt
epoch5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epoch5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 12:12
I just ordered one of these, (Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire Rifle Scope) with a 1" tube.  Is there anything I need to be aware of before mounting and sighting in?

Thanks in advance.
Loves to shoot
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 16:47
Originally posted by jerkin jerkin wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Could you post a link to their warranty?  I have been looking but can't find anything.

It's not documented, in the event if something where to happen to your SS, we will stand behind it and make it right.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic