OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Montana Rifle Company

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 10:23
Zeiss Conquest is held in rather high regard here. I know I love 'em. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 20:59
Originally posted by HuntTheWest HuntTheWest wrote:

I've got an MRC 1999 in .358 Norma.
Mine is the Summit configuration.
Great rifle.  Really smooth action, beautifully machined.  Built late 2009.
Great trigger, safety, action.
Weighs about 7 pounds.
Recoil is surprising pleasant.  Stock and recoil pad seem to suck it up pretty nicely (no muzzle break needed, in my opinion).
I went with a 23" barrel, #3 contour.  I think this is just right for the 35 caliber.
About to publish an article and pics of the rifle, will add a link here when I do.
-Alex Hoover
Indian Hills CO

Would love to have the link, read the review, and see pictures!
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 21:02
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

I have friend used to work for Dakota Arms now works for Montana Rifle Company. He would not have quite Dakota Arms if Montana Rifle Company was not a top rate outfit.

High Country Series:        Sweet
Ultra Lite Rifle  - $2649.00
Shortened Grey/Brown stock, Stainless Steel with a featherweight contour, 20-22" barrel, Standard cartridges include .22-250 Rem, .243 Win, .257 Roberts, .260 Rem, 7mm-08, and .308 Win. Avg. weight 5lbs 2oz.Love 

Definitely a sweet sounding rifle for light weight, but other than the 22-250, not any calibers I am really interested in for that particular rifle. 

GEORGE WASHINGTON
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 07:35
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Zeiss Conquest is held in rather high regard here. I know I love 'em. 

True dis
HuntTheWest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntTheWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 11:18
Here's my write-up and photos of my rifle:

They really are very nice.  Already very close to adding another one to the family.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 08:02

THANKS,Alex.  NICE write up,web site,AND(of course)rifle.  They do seem to be a fine piece of workmanship and their prices are more than fair.  helo 18(Andrew)could to alot worse. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 08:30
These are very nice rifles I particularly like the stainless synthetic stock.  For the last year and a half I have worked with a Tikka 300 WSM stainless synthetic with a couple different scopes eventually getting to a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest Rapid Z 800 which was a very nice combination - light user friendly very reloading friendly, hard to beat for the price and I like the Sako extractor.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 09:15

Here's my write-up and photos of my rifle:

They really are very nice.  Already very close to adding another one to the family.

Nice write up. Thanks. Which one are you thinking about adding?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
HuntTheWest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntTheWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 16:25
I was originally thinking about a good old .270, but have become tempted by the 264WM.  Something kind of different, and I've been hearing a lot of great things about it from guys that have them.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 00:57
I like the 270, have thought about the 264.  Some say they shoot, some don't.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 06:33

I've only been around a .264 mag one time.  Had a friend show up to use my chrono.  It was a M70 XTR Sporter with a 24"bbl.  His load was 60gr of IMR4350 under a 100gr Hornady.  A 6 shot average got 3262fps.  The load was well under max but still the velocity was no where near what he should have gotten so down the road it went.  Seems that .264 mag needs all the bbl length your willing to deal with.  The .270 Win is diff in that it gives decent velocities out of a 22"bbl and gives  substantial increases when the bbl is lengthened.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 08:05

I was originally thinking about a good old .270, but have become tempted by the 264WM.  Something kind of different, and I've been hearing a lot of great things about it from guys that have them.

i had one in a rem 700 cdl. it was a beautiful rifle, and it only shot so so. i had to try just about every bullet and powder combo in the world to get it to go. if you get something  with a decent barrel it will shoot lights out. some day im gonna get a custom built .264.

oh one more thing about the .264, you would be cheating the rifle's performance if you go with a tube shorter than 26".
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Yeah, I would probably only run the break for sight in and fun shooting, but I don't want to hunt with it on.

That's right. Brakes are bad enough at the range with muffs and earplugs.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 11:23
Bring this back from the dead. Been reading good and bad reviews on this company. 

Anybody? 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 12:07
Try a new Mauser M12.....it ain't controlled round feed, though....I would like one.

Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/10/2013 at 13:25
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Try a new Mauser M12.....it ain't controlled round feed, though....I would like one.

Looks great, but alas..no lefties, Edward. 
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/12/2013 at 09:20
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

A good friend of mine just picked up the Mauser M12 line for the northeast.

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic