OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Montana Rifle Company

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Montana Rifle Company
    Posted: December/17/2011 at 10:23
Anyone own one of these rifles or actions?  Been looking at them lately and wondering what people think of them, either to get one of the rifles, or to build a custom off of their action.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 11:23
I hadn't heard about them until now. If their action is as good as it appears to be, those are pretty good prices for their rifles. Although there wasn't any info that I saw on what barrels they use. If you're looking to get something similar in form and function to a Rem 5R that's what comes to mind. In other words, a rifle that you aren't likely to modify.
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 11:44
Well, I am a huge fan of Mauser 98 actions, but I hear the cost of a full custom Mauser or true one is really really high.  I also love me Dad's pre 64 Win M70 action.  These appear to combine the two, which I like the idea of. 

GEORGE WASHINGTON
HuntMaster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntMaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 13:39
I don't own one nor have I shot one, but a friend of mine just had one built in 6.5x284 . I handled it a couple days ago and it is a super nice rifle, beautiful wood stock. Seems to be well made, although it is a little on the heavy side .
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 09:04

VERY GOOD rifles from what I've read about them over the yrs (all positive).

So what you looking to build?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 16:55
Not sure on the caliber.  Would like a super accurate elk and deer gun.  I usually use my Ruger M77 300 WM and love the performance the it.  Especially with certain 200 gr bullets.  But I wouldn't mind a lighter rifle for hiking.  So I am open to suggestions on caliber and styles.  And scopes of course.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 07:23

I can appreciate you wanting a lighter weight rifle.  If your Ruger is the tang safety model a friend of mine has one in .300 Winchester Magnum with a 4-12 of some persuasion on it.  Must go near 10#!

BUT I tell you balance has alot to do with how a rifle carries to.  My .300 is muzzle heavy and goes 7 1/2lbs.  My Mauser balances between my hands at 8 1/2lbs.  It doesn't seem that much heavier and carries better to boot.  No problem lugging it all day.

As far as a cartridge choice goes I LUV the .300 magnums of any configuration as an all-around cartridge.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 20:27
Yeah, with all of my stuff on there, I probably am over 10 lbs.  Love the gun and how it shoots.  Love the power of the magnum.  I would honestly have a hard time going away from the 300 WM, but I am open to suggestion.  

I understand what you are saying about balance.  I love the way my Mauser 98 balances.  I could just carry my 270.  It is much lighter than my 300 and I know it is accurate.  It would knock down an elk fine with my 140 gr bullets, although I could develop some 150s for it too maybe.

But I would still love to have a custom at some point, and I could even drive up there and talk to them in person if I go with this company.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 07:35

"...........I could even drive up there and talk to them in person if I go with this company."

GOOD idea.  I was reading an article on them in a 2006 Rifle mag.  Seems to have everything I'd want in an action.  I wonder if there are any advantages or disadvantages of receivers that are investment cast such as theirs over fully machined ones?
   Is .308 cal the largest you have?  If it is and you want to step up you might as well step up to something with heavier bullets.  Say .358 (Norma), .366 (9.3x64), or .375 (H&H). 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 20:31
375 is an intriguing idea, but not exactly what I would say is long range.  Although At some point I would like a bigger caliber gun than my 300, although I do have a 45/70.   Was toying with the idea of a 6.5x284 or maybe 6.5 STW, or 6.5-300 WSM.  

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 21:15
The 6.5-284 is a wonderful round.  I just picked up a barely used accutrigger savage 7mm Mag for a whistle.  If the barrel doesn't shoot, I am going to rebarrel it to 6.5-284.  It is a little different, but now that is a standard caliber, you can find dedicated brass and plenty of loading data.  Long range potential is awesome.

-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 08:03

A 6.5 "something" would be good.  I got to mess with a friends .264 Win Mag for a short time (he never kept anything long).  Pretty HOT!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 08:41
with a lighter bullet the .375H&H will run with a .338win mag. promiseWink
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 21:42
to what range?

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 22:11
I might be able to be talked into a 375 ruger.  Looks from initial glances that the Ruger may have slightly better performance.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 23:11
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Actually with equal bbl lengths it'll run with the .340 Weatherby with bullets in the 225 to 270 gr range.  So the Ruger will be a bit more.  So with either .375 your talking PLENTY of reach out and touch  'em  capability.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 09:02
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

to what range?

500yds wouldnt be an issue.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 09:03
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Actually with equal bbl lengths it'll run with the .340 Weatherby with bullets in the 225 to 270 gr range.  So the Ruger will be a bit more.  So with either .375 your talking PLENTY of reach out and touch  'em  capability.

no doubt there
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 10:08
What round are you using in your H&H?  I am intrigued with the idea of using maybe the 260 gr Nosler if I went with a 375.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 10:12
im shooting a 270gr hornady spire point. they are pretty reasonable to buy and with the tube i have on my m70 its shoots scary good.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic