OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles 4.5-18x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fkroosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles 4.5-18x50
    Posted: December/16/2011 at 21:16

Looking into buying a medium to long range scope. Been lurking for weeks here and finally have registered.  Wanted to say thanks for what you do. I have learned a lot, but I'm having trouble pulling the perverbial trigger.  Looking at a Kahles k418 and wanted to hear opinions.

Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 22:12
Not sure if you will get much feed back on this particular scope. I also asked but Kahles has had so many problems with importers and distribution many people are afraid to buy their products anymore. Kahles has outstanding quality but I haven't bought a Kahles scope in a few years because I don't know who owns them or what their return and warranty policy is on new products.

If you have the funds for this scope why not look at a swaro 5x25 or Zeiss 4.5x14.
fkroosher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fkroosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 00:53
Ya you're right about lack of information on these. I went ahead with the purchase so we'll have to see after scope arrives.  The one thing I missed was the lack of vertical adjustment. It only has 30" or 36" and now I need info on how to mount the scope to gain some more if possible. It's going on a 700v 25-06 that will probably be rechambered to 257wby.  Any recommendations for base and rings?
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 05:59
Warne rings and badses.   that's all I use...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 14:38
This scope is one of the nicest I have had in a medium variable.  I would say the glass is as good, even or close to the Swarovski in this same range.

It is  a perfect twilight performer and the contrast and CA are near non existent or hardly mentionalbe. 

You are certainly looking at some UBER glass.

I have not gotten caught up in the Kahles Slamming for not finidng a Rep in the US.

If you can get your hands on it buy it and don't worry about service until it breaks (which in my experience is less than .01%.)  Not saying I owned a thousand of them but I haven't had any issues.

Again I do not think you will be disappointed at all you will not find better glass.
No one
fkroosher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fkroosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 15:08
338, thanks for the thumbs up on kahles.  Scope should be here end of this week. Alaska shipping not fast +christmas.  The reticle is a standard plex.  I've never used anything else and worried about scope clutter while trying to pick up moving targets.  Have you had any trouble with lack of adjustment?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 15:14
I do not use it on anything to far out.

I use it on a .280REM and a 7mm Magnum.  Neither have too much drop for the distance I am shooting.

I would suggest if you need more adjustment going to the (while I do not endorse Burris Optics) Burris Signature Rings they have differing MOA set ups that you can even shim with the kits they have for more MOA.
No one
fkroosher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fkroosher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 18:38
I was looking at the tapered 20moa warne base.  Also hoping to mount a bdc on it.  Tried emailing Kahles to see if this is possible but haven't heard back
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic