OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Help
    Posted: December/14/2011 at 14:20
I will be in a position in Jan. to buy a good scope for nite calling and daytime hunting.
The scopes that I have been looking at are the Vortex PST FFP'S and the Premier Heritage Hunter.
I would like to know if anyone had used either or if their is another scope I should consider.
I would like it to have a good tracking record , good glass,  and good Customer Service.
Thanks for your time .
The only easy day was yesterday.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 14:45
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-5-20x50-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P51642.aspx
About dead in the middle in price, and features and glass lean more towards the Premier. And as far C.S. goes, nobody can compare to SWFA!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
P Smitty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 15:38
OK! A friend just remind me of the S&B 10x42 PM ll . I can't forget that one.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 15:58
I could not see paying $1800 for a fixed mag scope like the S&B. I'd much rather have the SS 5-20. The glass might be a notch below but it's still great and the far more versatile. That said, if you have the money, consider the LT version of the Premier. You'd have target turrets for a couple hundred more. I have the non-illum version and it is fantastic. (A note on the non-illum version, stick with the Gen II reticle. The XR is too thin).
Reaction time is a factor...
P Smitty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 16:35
Thanks everyone for the feedback. jonoMT if I go with the LT TAC. would'nt it be better to go with
the Nightforce F1. For the price point and the tracking record.  Just trying to make that dollar sssttrrreettccchh.Smile 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 22:11
I hear you on that. I had and treasured a NF 2.5-10X32 but recently sold it off. I'm moving from two very good rifle to one high-end custom rifle and while it was hard to let it go, choosing between that and the Premier LT was no contest. The combination of incredible glass, features and tracking make it a great scope. NF does have one of the best records in the industry for reliability and I would say better than Premier or anybody. But I think only a few high end scopes ever need to go back to the manufacturer for repair.

NF really needs to consider moving up a notch on their glass. Fortunately for Hensoldt, S&B and Premier they haven't yet. Then it would be almost impossible to compete with them. If I were them, I'd move to better glass and only pass the additional cost at cost.
P Smitty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 07:30
jonoMT, after reading your post a few times I think that I will lean towards the Premier.
It is a lot of money for me and I just want to purchase once and have the peace of mind
that it will take a few drops and still hold up like a champ. I would love to see some videos
on what some of these scopes can take or go thru. Thanks again for your time .
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 08:13
I won't ever purchase nor recommend a Premier. Not for the reason that they make bad scopes, but for the reason of how they treated one of their dealers. The dealer stood loyal by them and pushed them when others wouldn't, and once Premier grew, they pretty much threw them under the bus. You can read all about it on the Hide if you wish. I just can't see spending my hard under money with a company that does this. Not to mention S&B has much better options in the same price range. S&B or US Optics is where my money would be going. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 08:30
Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

I won't ever purchase nor recommend a Premier. Not for the reason that they make bad scopes, but for the reason of how they treated one of their dealers. The dealer stood loyal by them and pushed them when others wouldn't, and once Premier grew, they pretty much threw them under the bus. You can read all about it on the Hide if you wish. I just can't see spending my hard under money with a company that does this. Not to mention S&B has much better options in the same price range. S&B or US Optics is where my money would be going. 
If you knew the whole story or even half of it you'd feel differently.  I'm not going to debate it so please don't either but your ignorance on the entire situation is causing your judgement on the issue to be clouded.  Premier was never to blame. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 08:52
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by slowr1der slowr1der wrote:

If you knew the whole story or even half of it you'd feel differently.  I'm not going to debate it so please don't either but your ignorance on the entire situation is causing your judgement on the issue to be clouded.  Premier was never to blame. 

SVT is 100% correct here. Having done business with that dealer, he is a stand-up guy. But he showed an error in judgment and way overreacted when Premier had no choice but to enforce their dealer policy. They weren't even cutting him off completely - just giving him a 90-day suspension.

I like S&B but how can one say they have better options? How is a 3-12 better than a 3-15? I'd also like to see the 3-20, but they still can't seem to get it into production. Once that happens, maybe someone could say that S&B has a scope that is better than any other.

Edited by jonoMT - December/15/2011 at 08:53
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 09:16
Originally posted by P Smitty P Smitty wrote:

jonoMT, after reading your post a few times I think that I will lean towards the Premier.
It is a lot of money for me and I just want to purchase once and have the peace of mind
that it will take a few drops and still hold up like a champ. I would love to see some videos
on what some of these scopes can take or go thru. Thanks again for your time .

Before you make a decision, especially an expensive one, it would be good to have some more specific information on your rifle, what you'll be hunting, and ranges at which you'll anticipate shooting. While I feel that for my requirements (which are hunting between 0-400 yards and target shooting out to 1000 with a .308) the Premier LT is a great all-around scope, it doesn't mean it will be the best for you.

From what you mentioned in your first post, it sounds like you'll want a scope with some pretty decent glass and a larger objective (42-56) for low light. But how about the ranges involved? Will you be carrying the rifle around much? There may be a scope that is more compact and lighter that does what you want if you're mostly shooting at less than 300 yards. What I loved about the NF 2.5-10X32 was its compact size, reliability and tracking. What I found as I owned it was that the compact turrets absolutely required zero-stop and the glass, coupled with the smaller objective, was not cutting it in low light. I could certainly have taken a shot but could not clearly discern things like antler points.

I really wish there was an SS 3-12 or 4-16 in their lineup because I have looked and looked and there just isn't much I'd consider...let me put it this way: anything I'd consider aside from the Premier or NF F-1 if I needed illumination that's under their prices. If you could live without it, then the SS 3-9 will do everything I can think of out to a comfortable range of 400-500 yards, even 600.
P Smitty View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P Smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 14:31
I will be putting it on a .308 or .223. I do want good glass. A larger objective is a must.
I believe that the Premier Varmint has my name on it if you look real close.Big Smile
I now would like to know when it will be available, which vendors will be carrying them
and the price tag.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 20:54

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic