OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What rings for my SS HD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What rings for my SS HD?
    Posted: December/13/2011 at 23:27
Well the search is over for a scope, should arrive tomorrow. I need to figure out what rings to get, I ended up with the SS HD 5-20 and will be mounting this on an AR-15. I'd like a set of rings as opposed to a cantilever base/rings. 
I need to know what rings, I was thinking Seekings AR-15 (1.4") but worried they are not high enough. Any thoughts?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 00:00
Aadland AR 30mm Scope Mount Aadland AR 30mm Scope Mount
Stock # - AAD3020
  • 20 MOA
  • CNC Machined from 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum
  • Four Integral Recoil Lugs
  • Type III Hardcoat Anodize
  • Matte Finish
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • Made In USAAmerican Flag
$199.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/14/2011 at 00:00

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 06:53
I have looked at those but they seem way too bulky and over built. I'm sure it's a nice mount but it's got to weigh a ton. The SS scope is already 30oz so I'd like something lighter weight.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 09:00
These are nice mounts.  I have 3 of them and have been very happy with them.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic-30mm-Mount-P48134.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 09:59
The two mounts mentioned above are both very good quality mounts. If you want just rings and not a cantilever mount I would go with the seekins you mentioned (They will be high enough). However on an AR15 I would reccomend a Cantilever mount like the ones mentioned above.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 10:01
http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-30mm-Rings-P41911.aspx 
These worked real well for me on my AR. The scope is also a 50mm obj with 30mm tube.The TPS high's measure 1.225"
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
Dan View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 10:23
CFII is right. The seekins rings would work really well but going on an AR-15 I would get a cantilever mount.

Dan@SWFA.com
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 10:06
Originally posted by prodgi prodgi wrote:

I have looked at those but they seem way too bulky and over built. I'm sure it's a nice mount but it's got to weigh a ton. The SS scope is already 30oz so I'd like something lighter weight.

They do appear bulky, but there is a reason for that.
Jon Aadland is a engineer for an airline.
This mount was designeed specially for function rather than beauty.
Swing clamp design allows for easy installation and removal of the AADMOUNT while providing tremendous amounts of clamping force. The Swing Clamp is very tolerant of out of spec rails and will
still provide full strength over a wide range of rail dimensions. Most competing designs use a sharp cutout on the body of the mount (or ring) and a triangular protrusion on the clamp to match because it is cheaper to manufacture. This often results in only the tip of the small triangular protrusion making contact with the groove in the body which results in a large reduction of strength. The AADMOUNT's Swing Clamp uses a thick rounded protrusion mating with a rounded groove on the body which acts like a high strength hinge. This keeps the contact area and critical acting cross section of the protrusion constant regardless of rail dimension so 100% full strength is always maintained and clamping force is never lost due to the yielding of a small, thin edge of material.
The four recoil lugs machined into the solid billet aluminum body of the AADMOUNT provide a ridiculous amount of strength--several times the amount of strength any user should ever need. Why so many? It adds very little to the overall cost and an immeasurable amount of weight. So the better question is why not? Overkill gives peace of mind which means a lot to many people, especially with mission critical parts such as their scope mount. Especially for those using the AADMOUNT on 338 Lapuas or 50 Cals, knowing their mount can withstand all the recoil they can throw at it with ease is priceless. As mentioned above, the AADMOUNT was designed to be as close to indestructible as possible. The four integral recoil lugs are but one aspect of achieving that goal.

In addition to brute strength, the
four
integral recoil lugs aid with returning to zero after dismounting and keeping that zero precisely when mounted. The four lugs spread the load over a much larger area than any other mount on the market. This reduces stress not only in the mount, but in the lugs on the rail of the rifle itself. This adds Stiffness. This mount won't take a couple of shots to "settle in" or move microscopic amounts under sever recoil or hard use.

The AADMOUNT was designed and analyzed utilizing the latest in 3D modeling technology. This allows us to design parts as an assembly that fit together like a Swiss Watch the first time, eliminating redesign after redesign iterative process from prototype to production. This reduces development costs which are passed on to you with lower prices.

With Stress Analysis skills developed during many years
in the Aerospace industry, we don't design "by trial and error"--wait until customers break it, redesign where it broke, wait until the customers find the next weak link, then fix that, etc--which is an unfortunate practice much of the industry follows due to having little or no real Mechanical Engineering talent on staff. At Aadland Engineering, LLC, when we decide a part needs to be a certain way it's not a guess, it's because that's what running the numbers told us. It's because that's the way the part needs to be.

This is all direct from  Jon A from his website. But this is one solid mount.

prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 15:40
Like I said I'm sure it's a nice mount but it seriously needs to go on a diet.
It looks ridiculous and the more streamline mounts are plenty strong. I don't see the point of over building a scope mount when the a scope is the most fragile component of the gun anyway. The issue  I have right now with my current mount is that it too is over built. So much so that you cannot see the turret readings from behind the rifle. You have to move 6" off to the side just to see around it for the turret reading to be visible. The ADDMOUNT I fear would be even worse. 

OK so enough of that. Dose anyone know what the specs are of the BOBRO as far as height? Will they work with this scope on an AR?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 21:32
Heh, fair enough.  I'll admit even I think they look a bit out of place especially when used with smaller scopes on more compact rifles.  Though the 5-20 is a decently sized scope that I think goes with it pretty nicely:

But as I've said before, I designed them specifically for big, heavy long range rifles with big, heavy scopes where being "streamlined" isn't much of a worry.   Yet many want to put them on smaller rifles and then proceed to complain about their weight...I guess it serves me right for thinking I could predict who my customers would be. 

But they're always right, of course.  So for all those wishing for a more "streamlined" lighter AADMOUNT, just wait around a couple more months....      Excellent

As for blocking the view of the turrets, even the current AADMOUNTs don't have that problem.  That's mainly a problem with mounts using verticle split rings (ADM, Larue, etc) and I agree it is a PITA.  That's not a problem with my mounts though.

If you want the lightest weight, the NF Unimount is it.  It's a very nice mount.  Of the QR mounts the Bobro is by far my favorite. 

With straight rings, the long eye relief of this scope will probably give you an uncomfortable head placement unless you have a pretty long stock (on an AR-15, AR-10's aren't so bad).   It might work OK for you but it wouldn't be what I would prefer.  If that's what you want, I'd go with the 1.4" Seekins.
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 23:09
I hope nothing I said was take as an offence. I just don't see your mounts as a good fit for the role I have in mind. You can tell by the pics that they are a well made component and I wish you best Sir.
Thanks for your input. Looking forward to lighter version. 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2011 at 08:46
I don't understand the "term" "overbuilt"... Does that mean under any possible conditions it will not fail???  Must be some problem there I cannot see...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 08:08
Originally posted by prodgi prodgi wrote:

Like I said I'm sure it's a nice mount but it seriously needs to go on a diet.
It looks ridiculous and the more streamline mounts are plenty strong. I don't see the point of over building a scope mount when the a scope is the most fragile component of the gun anyway. The issue  I have right now with my current mount is that it too is over built. So much so that you cannot see the turret readings from behind the rifle. You have to move 6" off to the side just to see around it for the turret reading to be visible. The ADDMOUNT I fear would be even worse. 

OK so enough of that. Dose anyone know what the specs are of the BOBRO as far as height? Will they work with this scope on an AR?
It is designed for an AR platform. It will work great.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prodgi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2011 at 06:57
Thanks all. Got the Bobro coming.

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 12:29

My wife needs a set of rings for her lite weight AR and wondered how the SS rings in High would compare to the seekins ?

If she falls on the scope will the rings hold while hunting ?

PS: The scope is compact at 10" and she doesn't need a cantilever mount. Not trying to hi-jack thread, didn't see reason to start a similar one.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - December/24/2011 at 12:32
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 13:27
I am somewhat late to this thread, but I figured I'll add my two cents.

Of the non-QD mounts, Aadmount is my favourite by a solid margin and I use single piece Aadmounts extensively in my reviews.  They always come back to zero and never give me any problems.  They are not light, but not as heavy as they look.  Keep in mind that aluminum is a pretty light material.

I have a 30mm Aadmount sitting on top of my Desert Tactical chambered for 338LM, with a SWFA SS 5-20x50HD in it.  The combination works great and few ounces it adds make no practical difference.

I have one application where I was trying to cut weight wherever possible (18" AR-15 chambered for 6.5Grendel with March 3-24x42FFP scope) and there I use the Nightforce Uni-Mount.

As far as rings go, I have been slowly phasing out various lower end rings I had on my rifles.  At the moment I have primarily Warne and TPS rings, but I got my hands on some Aadmount (Jon now has rings as well) and Seeking rings lately and I might be switching over to those for the bulk of my applications.

ILya
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 14:09
I forgot to mention that the scope is a 3-9x40  1" tube and may need inserts ?

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - December/24/2011 at 14:09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic