OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Tripods, sun shades, lens covers, etc.
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best scope covers to use in a hunting situation?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best scope covers to use in a hunting situation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best scope covers to use in a hunting situation?
    Posted: December/13/2011 at 10:38
I'm looking for some quality scope covers to use on my SWFA SS 3-9x42 that's on my hunting rig. I currently have Butler Creek flip up caps on it that just aren't working for me. I love the look, feel, and style of them. The problem is they don't last for me. I broke the eye piece one right before the season started and after much arguing with Bushnell, I got them to replace it. I didn't have the receipt so they didn't want to replace it.

Anyway, I've been hunting for about 2 weeks with them, and sure enough, the new eye piece one broke again. The hinge breaks apart from the cap part. Then last Saturday while climbing into a stand with the objective cover up, the cover bumped the rail on the stand, not hard I should mention, and sure enough it cracked too. I've got some older sets of these Butler Creek covers I love and they seem to hold up, but these recent ones are junk, and I don't want to replace them every 2 weeks.

Are there any better tougher options out there that will hold up? I hate to run it without scope covers. I've tried it, and I end up getting my lens super dirty and have even had branches and what not scratch them on other scopes in the past.

Edited by slowr1der - December/13/2011 at 10:42
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 11:03
I am slowly moving away from the flip ups myself. The Bikini and Scope Coats are good options. The Scope Coat covers the whole scope and protects the action to some extent.

Doug
Terry Lamb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Lamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 11:11
A great step forward from the ScopeCoat is the ScopeShield, reviewed by JB and others here on the following links:

Once you have used them, you will never go back to flipups or other neoprenes. You might have to Google up scopeshieldalaska.
Terry Lamb
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 11:19
its pretty well known the new BC covers have dropped in quality.  I wish they had the alumina covers that leupold offers availible for other scopes.  It be blasphy but if i could get a set of them to fit the SS i'd put them on there in a heartbeat!
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 12:41
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

It be blasphy but if i could get a set of them to fit the SS i'd put them on there in a heartbeat!
So would I, so would I.

Edited by slowr1der - December/13/2011 at 13:14
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 21:44
I just bought a set of Weaver flip-up covers.  I haven't had them out in the field yet, but they seem fairly well made...might give them a look.

Edited by M7025-06 - December/15/2011 at 21:45
gremcat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremcat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 11:53
 I have  Blizzard , BC , and Bikini styles. I don't like the Bikini's because the clack together if you are not careful taking them off and storing them. The blizzards that came with the Kahles are nice enough but have a sort of press on closing system I don't really care for. the BC's have served me well but I have seen others that had broken. Maybe because I flip mine up with my finger and leave them up while in stand as opposed to flipping them up quick for a shot. I primarily stand hunt so that might be the difference. I like the scope coat design and might buy that style next
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic