OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Orion 80/I Fero Z51

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Orion 80/I Fero Z51
    Posted: December/12/2011 at 15:56
Are any of you experts familiar with this scope? Is it worth owning? Being a German MILSERP I'd expect it to be top notch but it is also older technology.......

Your advice will be appreciated.
gcp
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 16:50
Well folks, it was the last one at Midway so I pulled the trigger on it, pronto. I'll let you know how well it does after I receive/play with it.
gcp
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 22:29
I assume that you were looking for night vision?
CDR3
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 09:42
Requires two C cell batteries  any will work - Have fun. It is definitely passive, real starlight, no magnification  comparable to @ gen 2, everything is green, but very clear. It is most effective out past 20 or 30 yds or so.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/13/2011 at 09:46

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 05:54
The Zeiss Orion arrived and man is it heavy! Obviously soldiering is a young man's sport Big Grin

All appears to be in great condition, except for the box which is full of scratches, I guess it has served its purpose, and it will continue to. I've not used the scope yet because I have to buy C size batteries for it so I'll report back on its performance. Can't wait to put a camera behind it.
gcp
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 07:34
Nice old Orion. I know somebody in your country did translation of the original German Op manual
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 12:59

Well folks this Zeiss night vision scope of mine is in fine working condition! I used it last night and was able to monitor the neigbor and his dogs traps around the woods, they had no idea they were being watched Clown

But an English manual would be a wonderful thing to have as I have no idea how to fully utilize it without one. It seems to be a complicate piece of hardware and don't want to run the risk of damaging it so all pointers will be much appreciated!
gcp
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 14:08
If you can pull the maunual up on Google, you can tranlate it online.
CDR3
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2011 at 21:15

Haha, ja, der alte Orion is a loyal instument!

En Manual: I think rule of the game forbid to post links. But if U Google this

FERO-Z51 English RobertRTG

U will find soon. I think they are based in Arizona

A+
K
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 08:56
The manual was ordered, I appreciate your help!
gcp
Banker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 17:08
Stupid question....

I received one of these.  I cannot get it to work.  Can someone post what switche(s) need to be activated to turn the thing on?

I see the 3 switches on the left side.  Is there another somewhere?

TIA
Banker
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 19:26

Banker you have a personal message.

Bottom line, install 2 new c batteries and turn the 2nd switch to the on position. Give it a few seconds and look through the glass, you'll see a nice green image through it. Did you buy a picatinny rail for it?

George

Edited by gcp - December/29/2011 at 19:26
gcp
Banker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2011 at 20:52
I have done that, new batts & etc. 

Still not working. Shocked

For how many seconds should it be in the 'on' position before the green screen shows?  I know you need to depress the rubber eyecup forward in order for the flaps to open to be able to see thru it.

I had a night vision scope several years ago that came on after only a couple of seconds.  I have let this one be in the 'on' position for 30 to 45 seconds.  Rubber cover IN PLACE.  Brand new just out of the package Duracells.

Would it matter where the other two switches (top one & very bottom) are set, just to get it to turn on?

I have the manual in German, and have been able to translate bits of it.  Working on the rest.  Yes, I know the translated version is available, but don't want to spend the $$$ if I don't have to.

I found a rail that screws directly into the existing mounting holes on the scope, and can then be attached to my AR15 flat top.  No other parts needed.  Just need a working scope!

Thanks! Banker
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 05:44
Banker, it took mine about 30 secs or so to come on and since when I first bought it I didn't have the translated manual I turned all switches fully clockwise (the bottom switch is distance adjustment so it should not matter the position it's in). Take a look at the jpeg I sent you. I bought the ARMS #7 rail but I've not received it yet to try it out. So, it screws directly onto the scope? Have you done it and if so is there interference with the mounting HW?

Edited by gcp - December/30/2011 at 05:50
gcp
Banker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 07:37
I'll try it one more time tonight. I'll let it go for at least a copule of minutes.

I'll try to pm you a pic of the mount tonight.

I just had to unscrew the original mount off of the scope & put the new mount in it's place. That assembly mounted no problem to my AR flat top.

If you pm me yiur email address, i will email you some pics.
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 08:33

Confirm

a) cell charge and polarity (+ front)
b) good electrical contacts (no rust, dirt etc)
c) switches "on" and set to 3/4 maximum brightness (with objective kapp in place) = 3/4 clockwise
d) be sure there is good coupling from switches to their axes (this is assured by a little screw)

if still dead then need surgery to check internal contacts, condensers (easy & cheap to repair) or fotokatode/amplifier (if this is one is gone the problem is more serious)

The instrument increasing delay in going "ON" depends (I think) on condensers recharging latency, especially if the NVD remained unused for much time (as probably was the case) this will be partially improved just using the machine. Of course if they (or also only one of them) are really dead there will be no sign of light

A+
K
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 12:33
G, you obviously know your NVDs, what may I ask is your background?
gcp
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 19:01
Today I received an email stating that BT was out of stock on the ARMS #7 rail. This really pisses me off because I ordered the part 2 days ago and they told me over the phone that they had it in stock. Fist time I ordered from them but it appears it'll be the last.

So, do any of you know another source that would have this rail in stock and available for purchase?

GREAT! After a search I see that our dear SWFA shows it in stock, is it Chris? If you don't read this I'll call in the morning.

Edited by gcp - December/30/2011 at 19:40
gcp
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2011 at 20:43
Not saying "I told ya so..." , but... you shoulda checked SWFA first...
Maybe that was "I told ya so..."

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2011 at 04:40
I did but it didn't flag the first time for some reason. Maybe I didn't search it quite right......
gcp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic