OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mid-range scopes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-range scopes
    Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:15
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum however, I have looked and read a lot of different forums to answer my question yet none can be answer them. I am looking for a mid-range $300-$100 rifle scope to put on my lr-308 and the companies I have looked at were...

Osprey
Vortex (crossfire series)         
Mueller (eradicator series) 
Tasco (world class)
Truglo
Centerpoint
Barska
Sightmark
IJK

Could someone please just either give me input on the scope they like the most here or put these companies in order from best to worst(reliability, clarity,etc...). I would love to afford a Leopold or Ziess or any other highend company but when it is just going to a range and back into the safe I cant justify $500-$1000+ in optics. Plus in every single post I see someone says "save up get a Leopold or Bushnell 4k series" when that just is not possible and not giving me any info on the optic stated in the forum. So if you are going to compare, compare the scopes above to other scopes above.

Thanks,

Myke
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:36
Let me suggest several scopes that I like and I will try to stay away from super expensive stuff.  I marked the ones I like the best with Thunbs Up and while I dont own the 8x leupold I own the others and I really like the 6x42 Super Sniper its a great all around scope and very tough and is a good way to learn to use tactical knobs.  If it was just for hunting I would go with the 6x42 Leupold with the long range duplex those fixed 6x scopes are some of the brightest optics made.  I have the aimpoint also it has been on a couple of guns currently on a 22 mag I use to hunt coyotes wish I had several of them.   The Bushnells represent a better than average value in their price range.
Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731642E
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4A
  • 30mm
  • Mail-In $30 Rebate
$229.95 
Add Bushnell 1.5-6x42 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope to Cart 

Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope Bushnell 1.5-6x44 Trophy XLT 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUS731646E
  • Matte
  • 4A
  • 30mm
  • Mail-In $30 Rebate
$134.95
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE3940SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HD
  • Side Focus
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Free Rain Suit Coupon
$199.99 
Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000320
$304.95 
Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU001840Thunbs Up
$379.95 
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
hobbiest645 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:46
thanks for the reply but I totally forgot to add that I would like to have a scope with an end magnification of around 24-40   like the Osprey has a magnification of 10-40 and the vortex is 8-32. I need something that can reach out to the occasional 800 to 1000 yrds and the ever present 100 yrds.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 23:05
Reality check ==   a 10 x scope at 1000 yds is like open sights at 100 yds.
6x42 scope 42 divided by 6 =  7mm exit eye pupil  that is as bright as it gets anything higher power with a 42mm objective will look more grey in low light.
10x42 scope 42 divided by 10 = 4.2mm exit eye pupil  still fairly useable in low light after that they start to get a lot worse.
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/10/2011 at 23:05

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 23:08
Originally posted by hobbiest645 hobbiest645 wrote:

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum however, I have looked and read a lot of different forums to answer my question yet none can be answer them. I am looking for a mid-range $300-$100 rifle scope to put on my lr-308 and the companies I have looked at were...

Osprey
Vortex (crossfire series)         
Mueller (eradicator series) 
Tasco (world class)
Truglo
Centerpoint
Barska
Sightmark
IJK

Could someone please just either give me input on the scope they like the most here or put these companies in order from best to worst(reliability, clarity,etc...). I would love to afford a Leopold or Ziess or any other highend company but when it is just going to a range and back into the safe I cant justify $500-$1000+ in optics. Plus in every single post I see someone says "save up get a Leopold or Bushnell 4k series" when that just is not possible and not giving me any info on the optic stated in the forum. So if you are going to compare, compare the scopes above to other scopes above.

Thanks,

Myke

To be honest, I do not think any of the ones you mention are worth buying.

If you are on a budget, stay with some sort of a reasonably simple configuration and you will find a decent scope.

Can you elaborate a little more on the application?  i.e. configuration you are looking for, type of shooting you do, etc?

Generally, my sub-$300 recommendations are these:

But depending on the specifics of what you are looking for, I can narrow it down.

ILya
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 23:10
I started with one of these thinking along the same lines you are thinking so from experience I tell you stay at 10x or lower with a fixed power scope with a variable it is not as big of a factor because you can dial power down in low light.  In the 300 dollar range there are no good high power optics period.  Buy the 20 x if you must but I recommend the 6 or at most the 10 to start with.
SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS20X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/10/2011 at 23:10

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 23:29

thanks for the reply but I totally forgot to add that I would like to have a scope with an end magnification of around 24-40   like the Osprey has a magnification of 10-40 and the vortex is 8-32. I need something that can reach out to the occasional 800 to 1000 yrds and the ever present 100 yrds.

Somehow I missed this post before.  I will go on record with the following statement: in my opinion, at the moment, there isn't a variable magnification scope in existence that tops out at 24x or more, costs $300 or less and is worth buying.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 00:37
My application is putting marks on steel and I mean a 24" ar500 steel plate, would a 10x reticle cover the 24" steel plate at 1000 yrds? The 20x seems good but would it be a little over powered for the 100 yrd plinking?
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 00:56
16 and 20X can be difficult to use due to atmospheric conditions. If it were my LR308 it would be the 10X Super Sniper.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 02:10
please explain how it would be difficult?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 02:26
What about a Bushnell banner dusk and dawn 6-24x40 scope?  So far I have no reason to believe a $300 10x SS scope is any better than a $150 or $200 scope with higher magnification... I currently have only ever looked thru a NCstar 3-9 on a .22 and it has been very reliable and I can see whatever I need to... I don't need something that is perfectly clear if something is clear enough that I can tell I am actually hitting the steel at 1000 yrds and will keep its zero for hundreds if not thousand of rounds and not break after those rounds than that is the scope I want (within my price range of course). On top of all that I do not wish to upgrade this scope so I will extend my budget if I see necessary to obtain something that is reasonably without a doubt better but there has been little proof from all that I have read, Reviews forums its all very mixed and I am so bogged down from flak to all companies other than the high end manufactures I feel as I am just gonna have to go one a huge buying spree and purchase 8 different scopes than return the ones I do not like... simple as that I was just hoping someone has done that or has actually purchased some and can give their input..

Thanks,

Myke
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 03:10
You have been given solid advice from people with experience, who have done what you are trying to do, and looked through more than an NC Star. Koshkin evaluates more scopes than most people see in their life, and I take anything he says as gospel. Having played this game before, here is my opinion. A little bump in you budget will get you a lot. If you're shooting long range, you will be turning knobs, and the adjustments need to be accurate, and repeatable. Of the scopes mentioned, the SS line would be best in that regard. As far as high power, it can lead to trouble with mirage, and in low dollar scopes with poor glass and coatings, everything just gets fuzzy. I shoot at the ranges you are attempting. I have a 4.4-14x zeiss, and a 5-20 NIKON monarch on my long range rigs, and they rarely get over 12x. I tried looking through a cheap BSA on 18x on a warm day, and everything far away was just a blurry haze. It was bigger, but I couldn't see it as well as I could through my NIKON at 10x. High magnification, and low price tags don't mix well. If I was in your position, I'd buy a 10x super sniper, and learn to really shoot well. Someday you may want to try something else, but this scope will accomplish what you want to do, and do it in your budget.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 06:31

I've put 2 Dusk to Dawns on rifles for my SIL.  First one came as a new set up he bought off someone.  .308 Handi Rifle.  The scope lasted 7 rounds and the erector assembly came loose.  Bushnell replaced it pronto.  Put the new one on his muzzle loader for this season.  Around a dozen rounds and it won't hold it's zero.  Probably a good scope for rimfires.
 As trigger said you've been given solid advice.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 09:12

please explain how it would be difficult?

Mirage, flare, poor lighting conditions and numerous other things can all make a scope difficult to use at times. When u purchase a 10X SS not only are you getting a rock solid scope with quality components that will stand up to anything you can throw at it you are also getting glass that has reasonably good coatings that help manage different lighting conditions. Higher magnification usually does nothing more than magnify the glaring inadequacies of cheap scopes and even in expensive scopes things like mirage are simply magnified to annoying levels that cause you to back off, usually to around 10X-12X to be useable. The difference with the higher dollar high mag scopes is you can use them more often and longer into the day than the cheapies but you still cant use max mag all of the time. If you are still dead set on a cheap high mag scope try the $99.00 Vortex Crossfire (I've had 2). Should something happen to it you have a company that stands behind its products to  fix it for you. If however, you really plan to try to shoot at 800-1000 yards you NEED the adjustment range of the SS to accomplish this.

Edited by biggreen747 - December/11/2011 at 09:22
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 13:23
Sounds like the SS line is the way to go from every one here. And I didn't intend on offending anyone I know there are many more people in the world that have experience with these things I was just trying to look from all angles.

Thanks Everyone!!!

Myke
Hamm I Am View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamm I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 22:32
I have a Burris fullfield II 4.5-14 and it is an excellent scope.  Very clear and bright.  Love the Reticle.  Huge value for under $300 and great garantee.

Burris is great value.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 08:16
With several of the scopes you mentioned your 2' gong would only be a blurr in the back ground.  That's what the guys are trying to tell you.  Magnification without resolution is meaningless.  Its like trying to use high power binoculars through a muddy windshield. Adding more magnification only adds to the problem, not make it better.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 09:37
Get the SS10x.

I have one, and have shot to extended ranges without trouble (trouble that had to do with seeing my targets that is).  UF's 1000 yards through 10x is like open sights at 100 yards comparison is spot on.

The novice shooting market's current obsession with magnification is absurd. 
-Matt
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 14:09
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The novice shooting market's current obsession with magnification is absurd. 

Agreed, I only own 1 scope that goes over 10x and I seldom use it over 12x. 

A while back I was shooting steel at 600 to 800 yards with my AR-15 and my SS 1-4x and making pretty consistant hits on the steel at 4x.  It was definitely not the best setup for that distance, but it was working for me.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobbiest645 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 15:12
I have good news thanks to the holiday spirit from some relatives I can extend my budget... to a 600 dollar range but def. not past 650(I need to call it quits somewhere...) and from all the posts it seem s as though it was necessary anyway...

the scopes I am looking at are

Falcon Menace 5.5-25x56
Millet LRS 6-25x56
Sightron sii 6-24x42
bushnell elite 6-24x40
Nikon monarch 6-24x50

I have heard great things from Nikon and Sightron and mixed on the Falcon and Millet. Bushnell seems to be pretty good but the 40mm lens has me concerned for light... If there is any other scope out there that can reach to 1000 yrds with a 10 MOA base that falls in my price point let me know. I have looked at the Super Sniper line of scopes as posted before but the whole fixed power has me worried especially now with a new raised budget.

Thanks,

Myke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic