OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

MathQuestionOfTheMoment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 09:05
E.  is the correct answer...

This one will require a bit more thought...  It's not hard, it's just not obvious...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 09:58
Going to start you off on a savings plan.

Picture a 31 day calendar month.  On day 1, I'll give you 1 cent.  All I want you to do is double the amount each day until the end of the month.  You may want a calculator or Excel to help you, but it's more fun guessing first how much you think you'll have at the end.
God save the Empire!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 10:10
KB,

This one is B. 10 marbles
-Matt
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 10:46
5 lines X 4 marbles = 20
God save the Empire!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 11:11
Looks like C. to me
14 Marbles

Edited by GetSome - December/10/2011 at 11:13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 11:53
One marble at each point and one at each intersection. 10 marbles.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 12:54
Reaction time is a factor...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 12:58
Just saw this thread answers 10.

One marble on each intersecting line and one on each point.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 12:59
Well, Jon just easily explained it without typing a word.  Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 14:55
Three guys go hunting, as it is starting to get dark they stumble upon a hunting lodge.  Amongst themselves they agree to see about getting a room for the night.  Upon entering the establishment they ask the hostess what a room for the night will cost them.  She replies, "30 Dollars".  The guys agree and each decided to pay 1/3 of the costs, or 10 dollars each.   A few minutes later the hostess realizes she made a mistake, and they are having a special and rooms are only 25 dollars a night.  She calls over the bag boy and hands him 5 dollars in one dollar bills, asking him to go give it to the guys that just checked in.  On the way to their room the bag boy thinks to himself.  There are only 3 of them, and I have 5.  He decides to keep two for himself as a tip, and give each of them a dollar back.

So after the one dollar refund the three guys each paid $9.

9x3 = 27

If the bag boy kept 2

27+2 = 29. 

If they originally paid $30, where did the other dollar go?
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 16:51
If they had originally been charged $25, each would have paid $8.33 (one would have had to kick in an extra penny). They were each given a dollar but should have got a $1.67.

.67 x 3 = ~ $2.00.

It didn't really "go" anywhere...just depends on how you account for it! If the lodge had just refunded all their money (except for what the bag boy stole), they would have gotten $28 ($9.33 each).

Edited by jonoMT - December/10/2011 at 16:53

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 16:51
That is a funny one, Thundey, but it is just an illusion. They only paid $27 all together. That is $25 for the bill and $2 for the tip. They didn't pay $27 for the room.

Tricky, tricky.
-Matt
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 21:04
Some good mental gymnastics going on...

Of course, 10 is correct.

Whenever in doubt... draw a picture.  Good graphic, jon.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 08:38
ooohhhh I like pictures!!!!! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 07:30
Easy, but worth the exercise...
Merry Christmas...

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 07:50
I going the the wild-ass guess of C (2)
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 08:58
I'm thinking E (4).

Shame on Dan, the Eggnog fog is thick this morning! Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 11:39
I'm thinking E(4) too... The line crosses the Y-axis 4 times. It's gotta go through .2 4 times somewheres along each curve.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 15:49
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I'm thinking E(4) too... The line crosses the Y-axis 4 times. It's gotta go through .2 4 times somewheres along each curve.

Dude... your eggnog is still full-blown.   Crosses the Y-axis HOW MANY times????

trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 20:24
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

We haven't played this game in a while... Do you feel lucky??  Well, do ya'....

Not tough, but requires some thought...
I had forgotten all about this thread! I gave the problem to my daughter though, and she banged it out in a couple of minutes. I swear she is a lot smarter at 14 than I was... Or maybe smarter than I am now.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic