OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:01
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Mornin allCoffee
Update on the fruit fly war; day 5 of the invasion. After recieving vital intelligence from allies (BugsnBows and SVT-tactical)), new tactics and stratagies were put into place and vital new weapons were placed into the procurement process. As of last evening, it seemed as if our new field expiedent weapons (fruit fly trap) were performing with deadly efficency. Vital supplies (food sources) were being denied to the enemy, and more intelligence was being gathered by our vast intelligence network (internet). However, the enemy has launched a counter offensive this morning that has retaken the gains made yesterday. A reconisance drone was spotted early this morning in our rear staging area (the bathroom), but evaded our anti-flycraft fire. When the new super weapons (fruit fly trap) were approached for inspection, the enemy launched their massive attack. While the concentration of forces seemed to have been weakened, it was soon evident that the enemy was attacking on a broader front and we were soon outflanked and had to withdraw to asses the situation. Some of the new tactics and stratagies were rapidly employed. At this point Command and Control (wife) decided it was time to procure a new super weapon (fly paper) recommended by allies. We have since identified a secret base and supply depot (rotting hedge applies ) and destroyed it. New supper weapons (fruit fly traps and fly paper) are being procured at this time. The cost has been high, but our valient forces are bravely fighting this evil, dispickable, and devious enemy (fruit flys) and VICTORY is just within our grasp.  

Sad part is it's probably the highlight of his year..... Bucky
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:07
Love it. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:08
Bud, hows the new pooter doing?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:22
Lynn, save yourself a lot of headaches and money... Just Napalm the kitchen with Raid 'Flying insect' spray.  Just be sure to cover or put away all food and anything yuou might eat off of.  It's worked for me everytime I've gotten a Fruit Fly infestation.  Those little boogers hide everywhere!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:29
Hi G, the new PC is screaming!  The video is way cool!  I spent most of yesterday loading the free games I got with all the components.  I've already got 79.6Gb used up on my SSHD 120GB harddrive.  It really is amazing at how fast it boots from OFF.  Windows 7 64bit is up and running within 10-12 seconds of the POST Test beep.  YUou really don't see much difference when surfing but try anything that uses alot of video and or processor time and you'll see a huge improvement!!!  I was playing Battlefield 3 last night and the graphics are amazing!
--Thomas Jefferson

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:32
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Hi G, the new PC is screaming!  The video is way cool!  I spent most of yesterday loading the free games I got with all the components.  I've already got 79.6Gb used up on my SSHD 120GB harddrive.  It really is amazing at how fast it boots from OFF.  Windows 7 64bit is up and running within 10-12 seconds of the POST Test beep.  YUou really don't see much difference when surfing but try anything that uses alot of video and or processor time and you'll see a huge improvement!!!  I was playing Battlefield 3 last night and the graphics are amazing!

Great news Bud.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:32
Again, whats you got into that rig? just the CPU not he monitor?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:35
Poisons are out of the question, unless we are loosing so badly that a nuclear option is our only hope. The enemy (fruit flies) has infiltrated our infrastructure (the ketchen) and using an unconventional weapon (bug spray) would put that infrastructure at risk (I'd have to clean everything, and throw out food and medications for us and the dogs) and the cost (remember I'm cheap) is too great to bear.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 10:48
Keep up the good fight Lynn.  
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 11:15
New Mid Tower--  ThermalTake Dokker    $30 after rebate
XFX Radeon 6870 2 Gb DDR5 video card  $179
AMD FX6100 6 core 3.3GHz uPC              $179
Corsair Force GT SSHD 120Gb Sata III     $199
Thermaltake 750W ATX PS                      $50 after rebate
8Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM                  FREE
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MOBO                $179 after rebate
Blu-Ray Burner                                       $99
Acer 23" HD Monitor DVI, HDMI input       $109

This is pretty close to top end currently.  I could have gone to an 8 core uPC for another $100.  The AMD FX family of uPC are all unlocked for overclocking.  The ASUS MoBo is based on their lastest chipset available.  The Video card is pretty high end, a dual output PCIe card with 2Gb DDR5 RAM instead of 1Gb.
I opted for a dual sided Blu-Ray Burner instead of a DVD burner for an extra $75.  I could have trimmed about $400 off and still had an impressive machine but this one is internded to last me at least 7 years and now allows me to experiment with gaming without being hamstringed with slow equip.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 11:19
Originally posted by SD Dog SD Dog wrote:

Keep up the good fight Lynn.  
Well once you get them, being so small it doesn't take much to feed them so starving them out is almost impossible.  I do know, they absolutely love the potato and onion bins!  Good luck!
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 15:07
good afternoon my friends. hope you are all safely traveling to your destination, or already there. hope the christmas holiday is wonderful for you all.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 15:43
Merry Christmas to you Hunter....hope you and your family are doing well!
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2011 at 17:07
we are doing well thanks! im in need of snow up where im working. we have been off since saturday. the ground is frozen, and there isnt any snow to speak of to plow. could use a 6" shot soon.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 09:14

New Mid Tower--  ThermalTake Dokker    $30 after rebate
XFX Radeon 6870 2 Gb DDR5 video card  $179
AMD FX6100 6 core 3.3GHz uPC              $179
Corsair Force GT SSHD 120Gb Sata III     $199
Thermaltake 750W ATX PS                      $50 after rebate
8Gb Kingston DDR3 1600 RAM                  FREE
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX MOBO                $179 after rebate
Blu-Ray Burner                                       $99
Acer 23" HD Monitor DVI, HDMI input       $109

This is pretty close to top end currently.  I could have gone to an 8 core uPC for another $100.  The AMD FX family of uPC are all unlocked for overclocking.  The ASUS MoBo is based on their lastest chipset available.  The Video card is pretty high end, a dual output PCIe card with 2Gb DDR5 RAM instead of 1Gb.
I opted for a dual sided Blu-Ray Burner instead of a DVD burner for an extra $75.  I could have trimmed about $400 off and still had an impressive machine but this one is internded to last me at least 7 years and now allows me to experiment with gaming without being hamstringed with slow equip.

That looks like a nice setup bud.

Let me know how the Corsair SSD works out for you.  So far I have tried about 20 of the Intels and have had pretty good luck with them.  One 40 gig has died on me.  I bought a couple 60 gig OCZs the other day and have one of them in service now.  They are a little faster than the intels, so I am hoping to have good luck with them as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 09:30
Mornin allCoffee
Just had a run-in with a TSA inspector. Some J@*% that used to work for an airline, and now works for the TSA and thinks he knows how to be an investigator. The guys never prosecuted anyone and he thinks he's a security expert. I'm just a littleMad right now.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 09:42
Thank you sir!  I would hope that you liked it, seeing as your one of the techsperts that recommended most of the components.  I used to say up on the regular progression in the desktop PC world's hardware but haven't done so in the last 5+ years.  So I was totally ignorant in the Video and SSHD areas.  I'll let you know if I have any issues with the SSHD.  As I read, trying to educate myself on SSHD's I read about several haven't a lot of compatibility issues and high failure rate.  The Force GT came with a nice warrranty and a MTBF rate twice the others I looked at while at the same price point so it was a no brainer for me.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 09:47
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Mornin allCoffee
Just had a run-in with a TSA inspector. Some J@*% that used to work for an airline, and now works for the TSA and thinks he knows how to be an investigator. The guys never prosecuted anyone and he thinks he's a security expert. I'm just a littleMad right now.

I just love the pompissity of the self-important!  Take a walk and look at all the pretty planes and let it go my friend.  No use letting the likes of that duweeb ruin your day! Cool
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 10:15

Thank you sir!  I would hope that you liked it, seeing as your one of the techsperts that recommended most of the components.  I used to say up on the regular progression in the desktop PC world's hardware but haven't done so in the last 5+ years.  So I was totally ignorant in the Video and SSHD areas.  I'll let you know if I have any issues with the SSHD.  As I read, trying to educate myself on SSHD's I read about several haven't a lot of compatibility issues and high failure rate.  The Force GT came with a nice warrranty and a MTBF rate twice the others I looked at while at the same price point so it was a no brainer for me.

I got the 120GB OCZ SSD for my MacBook.  It is outstanding, so far... I went ahead and had a Mac Tech install it (warranty) and he told me if I ever wanted to sell it, call him.  He will buy it for nearly what I paid for it.  I told him I may upgrade to the 240GB in a few months when my daughter takes the MacBook off to Auburn.  It is now as good as anything coming off the line for a lot more money. 

Bud, you definitely built a nice MACHINE.  Watch out... if it becomes sentient, you may have some dominance issues...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/22/2011 at 10:53
Update on the Fruit Fly War. I returned to theater (home) last night and walked into a raging battle. Command and Control (wife) had deployed new secret super weapons (fly tape) at strategic areas of the theater and they were having devastating results on the enemy (fruit flies). The carnage was unbelievable, but the enemy was not backing off. They were pressing an offensive that was putting our efforts in doubt, but we pressed on. During our resupply (dinner) operations we were constantly being straffed by the enemy, but we continued operations and as soon as we were done, we secured the area (put dishes in dishwasher) and started assembly and deployment of more supper weapons (fruit fly traps). All was going as planed until I returned to the rear area (bathroom) for an intelligence meeting (take a big ole, ahh, never mind). All of a sudden the early warning radar went off; there were enemy flycraft all over the place gathering for an attack. Our interceptors were scrambled to repel this dastardly attack. Our first intercept was on a decoy drone (speck on the bath tub faucet), costing us valuable time and alerting the enemy that we were on to them and eliminating our supprise. It wasn't long before we corrected our mistake and all radar units (lights) were brought on line at full intensity. Then our brave fighter pilots started knocking the enemy out of the sky with our air-to-air Clap missles and laser targeting system (eyeball). Everytime we could track an enemy flyter, we attempted to give him the Clap missle that he deserved. It wasn't long before enemy flyters were being knocked out of the sky with the Clap missels we were giving them. I tried to keep count, but we were having such success and the battle was so furious that it was impossible. Some of the enemy flyters attempted land and hide from our fighters, but we would hit them with a Smack air-to-ground missel (not our best weapon due to deffects), and if we missed with a Smack, we would give them the Clap when they took off. Eventually we were having trouble finding targets to destroy and we had other strategic missions to perform, so we withdrew knowing we had destroyed the brunt of the attack. Later myself and the Command and Control (C&C) unit (wife) returned on seperate occasions and each destroyed more enemy flyters that were left in the area.
This morning it was evident that while the war is not over, and combat operations are still in full force, the back of the enemy appears to be broken. C&C is still deploying super weapons no matter what the cost (she dumped a perfectly good 2 liter bottle of Sprite just to make a trap) in order to make sure the enemy is completely distroyed. Victory is in our grasp and vigilence must be maintained.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 1639>
  Share Topic